Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any locals willing to help me figure this out? sykesville md

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any locals willing to help me figure this out? sykesville md

Thursday driving home, mostly between 35-50 mph varying between 3rd and 4th gear on back roads for about 50 mins or so. i get to a point where I slow down to 20-25 and I notice a fast paced ticking sound that varies with engine rpm. Can't really hear it above 2500, but that's because the car is just loud.

Service engine light comes on, engine starts missing and vibrating. Put on the flashers and limped 2 miles to my house where it's been since.

pulled plugs 2, 4, 6, and they're all damp with what seems to be gasoline.

so.... any ideas? I'm hoping its nothing major, since I'm tight on cash since I JUST bought a damn house and I'm still in the process of getting settled in.

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

just went to try it again, made sure all the coils and the harness was plugged in. swapped the passenger o2 (bosch 13111, ~ 10k miles) for one of my old ones with an extension.

car fires up and idles for about a minute then starts missing and ticking again.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what code is it throwing?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull a valve cover and look for broken springs
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

I'll pull the codes tomorrow after I stop by my parents house to pick up some more of my stuff after work, including my scanner. Managed to get the car into the driveway and the front end up on jackstands after work today, but its too dark to do anything now. More to come tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

finally got home from work before dark today.

I unplugged the passenger side o2 and fired it up. no misfires as far as i can tell, but the ticking is still loud and clear.

I did however notice something strange while looking around for the source of the tick. the dipstick comes ever so close to the bracket for the coil packs, and i can see it arcing between it. what does this mean?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phantazn
finally got home from work before dark today.

I unplugged the passenger side o2 and fired it up. no misfires as far as i can tell, but the ticking is still loud and clear.

I did however notice something strange while looking around for the source of the tick. the dipstick comes ever so close to the bracket for the coil packs, and i can see it arcing between it. what does this mean?
Move the dipstick...of course...and look for a cut wire or boot on the coil.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

well, I fixed it by replacing the wire and coil pack on cylinder 8. ran nice for a few days and blew out the rear main seal about an hour ago I don't have the tools to do that kind of work at my new house, so the car is being towed to a shop and my mod money flushed down the drain.