Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

New to LS1! Whats up!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1! Whats up!

Whats up guys, I just recently purchased a 2002 Camaro SS, onyx black. Its completely bone stock and the owner before me changed the oil every 5k miles using Fully synthetic oil and always used 91-93 octane fuel.

I am new to the LS1 motor and here is what I know so far when I purchased the car-
Transmission was rebuilt at 100k miles
Has a New waterpump
New Right Rear Axel at 100k miles
New Battery
Front brakes are less then a year old.

Now that ive driven it a couple hundred miles and have spent some time with it here is what I notice.
-Passenger window motor is about dead (bought those to replace)
-Needs new speakers (Got some Kenwoods going in)
-does have a slight pulley squeak or chirp (thinking its the drive pulley or tensioner)
-Slight tap in the motor, sounds like a gurgle grumble ish from the top by the heads and a tap under the car (pushrod?)
-front suspension creeks when I go over speed bumps or get in and out of the car (gonna try re-greasing or replacing struts?)
-rear end has a slight whirl I guess, lady says its done that for quite some time. So i'm not sure if its something to be to concerned with. May be wheel bearing or axle bearing i'm guessing. May try doing the Diff oil

Other then that it starts great and runs strong no hesitation.

Looking forward to meeting some other people with the LS1 as well!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

slight tap is probally just normal valve train noise, these motors are noisey stock
Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2002 with ~30,000 miles. My speakers are all blown out pretty much, can't barely hear them. I think the Monsoon audio has something to do with that. I've also got a tapping noise. I had someone check the pushrods when I first got it and they were fine, and he's said it was just normal piston slap or some other valve train noise. When you say whirl do you mean a whining noise? I have that too, it whines in 5th and 6th gear, especially 6th. It must be common. They're noisy cars, even with a stock exhaust.

Oh and sometimes the engine noise comes through my speakers, it's a high pitched electric whine that comes from one of the rear speakers and it matches the engine speed. Weird.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

New to LS1s??? Whats up!!!!

Alright who brought the total newb in here. Really you bought a car 10yrs old with over 100K and you are gonna bitch about a squeak in a belt. And the suspension creeks? Really come on bud its a ******* catfish. Next thing you will be posting is about beating stock 2012 5.0 mustangs.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

ah yea, it's a rough crowd in here
Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by C5kid
slight tap is probally just normal valve train noise, these motors are noisey stock
Thats what i've heard.

Originally Posted by X-ray
I've got a 2002 with ~30,000 miles. My speakers are all blown out pretty much, can't barely hear them. I think the Monsoon audio has something to do with that. I've also got a tapping noise. I had someone check the pushrods when I first got it and they were fine, and he's said it was just normal piston slap or some other valve train noise. When you say whirl do you mean a whining noise? I have that too, it whines in 5th and 6th gear, especially 6th. It must be common. They're noisy cars, even with a stock exhaust.

Oh and sometimes the engine noise comes through my speakers, it's a high pitched electric whine that comes from one of the rear speakers and it matches the engine speed. Weird.
I haven't had noise come over the speakers like you are saying... but I guess its best described like road noise with like a slight whirl grind noise. Like I said Right Rear axle was replaced. I am going to check the wheel bearings this weekend and replace the rear diff oil and go from there.

Originally Posted by mikep2002
New to LS1s??? Whats up!!!!

Alright who brought the total newb in here. Really you bought a car 10yrs old with over 100K and you are gonna bitch about a squeak in a belt. And the suspension creeks? Really come on bud its a ******* catfish. Next thing you will be posting is about beating stock 2012 5.0 mustangs.
New to owning a LS1 not new to being around them. No one says i'm bitching just describing the car as I bought it. You all have owned the cars longer then me obviously so i'm just consulting you.

And its not my first rodeo when it comes to racing cars and what they are. So the mustang comment, yea... lol

Thanks for the warm welcome
Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club

touchy touchy touchy. We will get to you. LMAO
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the dark side my friend
Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

awwwwww *****
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SloCrewLS1
New Right Rear Axel at 100k miles

May be wheel bearing or axle bearing i'm guessing. May try doing the Diff oil
My right rear axle went bad on my 00 A4 Z28. I have heard of quite a few people having this problem, but no reason or service bulletin has come out (that I know of). I changed bearings, seals and fluid when I did the axle. I would think that they may have changed your wheel bearings and certainly the diff oil. Once the diff oil was changed in mine, it was quite a bit quieter. I'm thinking that the carrier or pinion bearings or both need to be replaced on high mile cars. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Z06
My right rear axle went bad on my 00 A4 Z28. I have heard of quite a few people having this problem, but no reason or service bulletin has come out (that I know of). I changed bearings, seals and fluid when I did the axle. I would think that they may have changed your wheel bearings and certainly the diff oil. Once the diff oil was changed in mine, it was quite a bit quieter. I'm thinking that the carrier or pinion bearings or both need to be replaced on high mile cars. Good luck with your purchase!
Thanks man, yea I will get to it, I don't think ill be to concerned about it. This weekend the plan is to change out the window motors, install some new speakers and replace tensioner and idler pulleys as well as grease up the front end. The car just needs some attention is all.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ if this car turns out to be a lemon, i know where there is a nice '98 Camaro w/ a LS7 swap, built tranny, good suspension..
Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by C5kid
^^^ if this car turns out to be a lemon, i know where there is a nice '98 Camaro w/ a LS7 swap, built tranny, good suspension..
Thanks, but I doubt this one is a Lemon. Old lady drove it to and from work for 10 years. Has alot of highway miles. Just needs some love. It never slept outside (till I have it). Paint is in great shape. Interior is perfect sept for some seat wear, floor mats are brand new when she bought the car 10 years ago. Its from a family of mechanics, so I think I got something decent just like buying a house, first 3 months you are guaranteed to have stuff go wrong.

Search this Thread