Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Big Black Cadillac (Detail)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Big Black Cadillac (Detail)

It's BIG, It's black, and it's a Cadillac!

My friend and I gave the works to this low mile 2005 Cadillac Deville in tuxedo black. Car is used primarily as a special occasion car and was in need of sprucing up.

When we received the car it didn't look bad over all, it had some rough spots where bird droppings and pine pitch was rub aggressively off the car leaving some heavy damage, when we got it under the lights it was a different story :yikes:

The interior was not in terrible shape it just needed a good vacuum and wipe down but the seats were in dire need of cleaning and dressing to return the light grey finish.

Paint correction was slow with what seemed to be an acre of paint! It tend to micro marr with our aggressive compound and required a bit more technique to reduce the marring to make the final pass easier. Final pass removed all marring and finished leveled the paint.

After 30hrs of work the car is 99% corrected and looks dripping wet and we couldn't be happier with the results. Hopefully the owner will agree when he takes delivery tomorrow afternoon!

Lots of pics sorry for the poor outside shots, it's Fall in New England and it goes dark at 5pm it seems! I hope you enjoy!!!

Materials:
Porter Cable 7424XP
Flex Random Orb
CG Citrus Wash and Gloss
CG Maxi Suds II
Westley’s Bleach White
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Mother’s Clay Bar Kit
ONR Clay Bar Dilution
IPA wipe down Dilution
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna 106FA
Menzerna Powerlock
Prima Banana Gloss
Stoner’s Invisible Glass
Mequier’s Natural Finish Dressing
Lexol Leather Cleaner
Lexol Leather Conditioner
NXT2 Liquid Wax
Prima Slick
CG Xtreme Shine
CG Bare Bones
No. 7 Chrome Polish
Uber 5.5” Orange
Uber 5.5” Green
Uber 5.5” Black
Uber 3” Orange
Uber 3” Green
Swissvax Wheel Brush
Uber Boar’s head brush
Uber Wheel Brush
Swissvax interior brushes
Uber UFO Red Applicator Pads
Uber UFO Blue Applicator Pad
Misc MF Towels
Shop vac
Pro Heat carpet cleaner
Q-tips
3M Painters Tape

Process
Exterior: CG Citrus Wash w/ Micro Fiber Mitt, CG Maxi Sud II Foaming, rewash with Micro Fiber Mitt, dried, taped, claybar, PO203 w/ Orange (2 passes), 106FA w/Green (1 pass), IPA wipe down, Powerlock w/ Black (45min set-up), Prima Banana Gloss, Prima Slick during delivery

Wheels: Sonax Full Effect, Westly’s Bleach White, Wheel Brushes, dried, ONR wipe down, clay bar, No. 7 Chrome Polish, NXT w/ hand applicator, tires dressed with CG Xtreme Shine

Interior: Vacuum, Door jams cleaned with ONR and sealed with NXT, hard plastic Mequier’s natural finish wipe down, Leather Lexol Cleaner and Preserve using Red Applicator pads, Glass cleaned with Invisible Glass.

Engine Compartment: Misc brushes, CG citrus wash by hand, rinse, dried, dressed with CG Bare Bones

As delivered:

First signs of damage from improper containment removal.

White paint on the tail light

Big nasty glob of pine pitch

Wheels getting a bath :gross:

Dried and under the lights for inspection... :yikes:

Claying away... It actually wasn't all that bad!

50/50 working out the process to be used...:shead:... This is going to be NICE

More on the Pine Pitch...

Removed...now need to correct the damage!

Blacker then night and all gone...

Door handles? We got those covered...

Damage from containment removal? We got that covered too...

Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Decklid correction... Looking good!

Rear bumper is a bit chewed up..

... all better...

Nearing the home stretch...

Rubba Rubba Rubba.... :buffer:

And making quite a pile... I got clean-up to do...

Interior work...

:gross: Extracted from the carpets..

Arm rest 50/50...

Interior done and door jams cleaned (sorry I don't have more pics, to dark in the garage for good ones )

Engine bay complete!

And the final product!

Outside in the ultra low light....

Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus you can tell it was a major job. Sorta like my Black Nissan Pathfinder, Single woman, and 3 kids, interior alone took 4-5 hours and I probably could have spent 2 more without even trying.

Not asking price but if that does not look like a 500$ job, I do not know what does for the complete re do and I am sure it was worth way more then you priced. That car looked hammered when you compare the shots.

Great Job.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks.

This was a tough car to do (Believe it or not car only has like 28k on it), the paint appeared to be hard but too much pressure and you could see it was soft. We had to slow down our process to not introduce any more micro marring, so it was a pain and took us longer than anticipated. Glad to be done this one.

90% of this car was done just using porter cables as the flex with the orange lake country pad was just too aggressive and would marr. I was surprised that the paint acted this way on a Caddy, but we made do. In fact we used twice as many microfibers to do this car because ANY contaminate would slightly mark (glad we ordered about 50 new ones)

Our intention was to do a 3rd pass with 85RD, but after 30 man hours, we thought it was more than acceptible for the price. I'll just say $500 on a job like this is more than fair.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what part of the car was the tidy cats used on? Lol.

Very nice job man! On the beginning shots, I thought the wheels were alloy, turns out they're chrome. Lol. I hate seeing all of these detail/correction threads. Makes me want to spend money on a PC...
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by egott_91
So, what part of the car was the tidy cats used on? Lol.

Very nice job man! On the beginning shots, I thought the wheels were alloy, turns out they're chrome. Lol. I hate seeing all of these detail/correction threads. Makes me want to spend money on a PC...
The wheels actually came to life a lot with the chrome polish, and yep certainly chrome. That alone was tough work, then we just threw a bit of wax on em.

Tidy Cat's, well sometimes when you are grinding away on a car for 10hr sessions you forget about the basic human processes until its nearly too late, comes in handy for the die hards!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, that is outstanding work. Jeez, wish you were closer. I've got a few cars that are in need of a good solid detailing.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

On a side note, I think I need to get a new extractor for cars my little green machine does not have enough suction power for car interiors. Way too much effort to get the dampness out and some units out there have enough power to do so and does not cost the $$$ like a commercial unit does.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

How much to do this on a newer caddie with a LOT less issues? I cant imagine how good it would look! I got mine done at a basic shop near my office for 150 earlier this year. But what you did looks amazing!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
On a side note, I think I need to get a new extractor for cars my little green machine does not have enough suction power for car interiors. Way too much effort to get the dampness out and some units out there have enough power to do so and does not cost the $$$ like a commercial unit does.
Yeah not ready to dish out $1000+ on a real machine, I don't want that kind of overhead. Interior we will do what we can. May change later but for now it is what it is.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
How much to do this on a newer caddie with a LOT less issues? I cant imagine how good it would look! I got mine done at a basic shop near my office for 150 earlier this year. But what you did looks amazing!
Thanks!

A 4 door caddy dressed in black for a full exterior correction you are toying with a starting price of $350 easy. Depending on where you go, the merit of the shop, how busy and reputable they are, and what products they use you would be looking at up to $1000 for the works. I'd say $500 is a safe middle of the road bet if you go looking at professional gigs. Different shops use different pricing schemas, hrs vs level of correction, etc. pricing a car can be tough.

$150 typically gets you a wash, wax, and dress (probably not even clay). I don't know anybody that will do paint correction for that price.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I thought I cleaned up my car well...not even close lol...AWESOME job!!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
$150 typically gets you a wash, wax, and dress (probably not even clay). I don't know anybody that will do paint correction for that price.
And you get guys who scoff at even that. It's sad as its something that in most cases is a want vs a need. Unless maybe looking to trade the car in and up the value or even private sale.

I have lost jobs and have taken a job at a reduced price depending on my need for the income.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I know the value of a good detailing. for 150 my car came out looking spectacular. But it was outside only and the paint was already in godo condition(thank you previous owner)...

And before the car goes itll get a proper detail.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Owner's main concern was the condition of the rear deck lid. He should be happy.

(Cell pic in parking lot)
Attached Thumbnails Big Black Cadillac (Detail)-2011-10-25_12-39-29_31-large-.jpg  
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's nothing short of incredible.