Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Detailing (2010 Toyota Venza)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Detailing (2010 Toyota Venza)

What we have here is a 2010 Toyota Venza, dressed in Pearlescent White, with roughly 30k on the clock. But you wouldn't know it.

The owner took extremely good care of the car and it showed inside and out, not to say we can't do anything for it but just made our job a bit easier.

There are the usual wash swirl marks but very light, but the biggest issues were the iron spots along the doors and rockers, and the clear bra engulfing the front. After 24 man hours, struggling a bit to see defects in the paint because of the pearl in the paint, the car ended up a 9.8 out of 10. We are super pleased with the outcome and a new fans of pearlescent white (fantastic color in person aside from the difficulties in seeing defects.)

Anyways...

Materials:
Porter Cable 7424XP
CG Citrus Wash and Gloss
CG Maxi Suds II
Westley’s Bleach White
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Mother’s Clay Bar Kit
ONR Clay Bar Dilution
IPA wipe down Dilution
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna 106FA
Menzerna Powerlock
Autoglym HD
Stoner’s Invisible Glass
Mequier’s Natural Finish Dressing
Zaino Bros. Leather Cleaner
NXT2 Liquid Wax
Prima Slick
CG Xtreme Shine
CG Bare Bones
No. 7 Chrome Polish
Uber 5.5” Orange
Uber 5.5” Green
Uber 5.5” Black
Swissvax Wheel Brush
Uber Boar’s head brush
Uber Wheel Brush
Uber UFO Blue Applicator Pad
Misc MF Towels
Q-tips
3M Painters Tape

Process
Exterior: CG Citrus Wash w/ Micro Fiber Mitt, dried, taped, claybar, PO203 w/ Orange (2 passes), 106FA w/Green (1 pass), IPA wipe down, Powerlock w/ Black (45min set-up), Autoglym HD by hand, Prima Slick during delivery

Wheels: Sonax Full Effect, Westly’s Bleach White, Wheel Brushes, dried, ONR wipe down, clay bar, NXT w/ hand applicator, tires dressed with CG Xtreme Shine

Interior: Vacuum, Door jams cleaned with ONR and sealed with NXT, hard plastic Mequier’s natural finish wipe down, Leather Zaino Bros. Preserve using Red Applicator pads.

Engine Compartment: Misc brushes, CG citrus wash by hand, rinse, dried, dressed with CG Bare Bones

Enough of that on to the pics!!!

Delivery. Car was very clean, defects were hard to see but there...

Engine bay before and cleaning

Tires are DIRTY!

Clear bra hard edge contaiminated with old wax and dirt, totally detracts from the car

Old 06-18-2012, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Iron spots, by the time I was 1/2 way done claying them out I was wishing I had some IronX in the arsenal!
Pics are super saturated to show the spots, but you can see the pearl in the paint SWEET!

Wishing for the IronX right about now...

All better...

Dealer tag... We don't leave these on and this on in particular detracted from the look of the car...

All better...

Clayed and taped, ready to go into the garage for correction

Under the lights. Defects were next to impossible to see let alone get pics off. Key we found was the spill the light along the car and keep you head low to the paint to see anything

Couple of in process

Nearing the home stretch! Power lock setting and odds and ends around the car

Ready to go out into the light, but not before a few shots. Car shifts colors depending on the light, so cool

Remember this?

Much better now!

Remember this hard line from the clear bra?

Almost invisible, more then we could ask for
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Final shots out in the light. Color shift is real nice and the car has some great lines. Enjoy!

Such a cool color!

Thanks for viewing!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work, check out those nano scrub clay pads...I think that is what they are called. They really cut down on clay time.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by motoo344
Good work, check out those nano scrub clay pads...I think that is what they are called. They really cut down on clay time.
Wow I just looked those up, those look great. Any experience with them? Do they last a long time or prone to marring or introducing any defects over time after contamination builds up?

Looks promising, might have to pick one up.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. and I hear you on the Iron contamination. Wish I had IronX at the time. As far as clay is concerned I like my Mother's bar and Meg sells ones that if needed are more aggressive since the goal is to paint correct anyways.

Not sold on the nano but technology keeps on rolling on. Personally It does not take that much time to clay, so not sure if I need to be a time saver per say. The only thing that took a while was iron deposits/contamination but IronX would have been the solution.

Just detailed a car recently where the doors and hatch were as rough as sandpaper and what old "chip guard" texture would have. Some detailing spray and the yellow bar and it melted away.

Just thinking out loud on the nano vs clay. If I get a chance I'll buy some and check it out!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Looks good. and I hear you on the Iron contamination. Wish I had IronX at the time. As far as clay is concerned I like my Mother's bar and Meg sells ones that if needed are more aggressive since the goal is to paint correct anyways.

Not sold on the nano but technology keeps on rolling on. Personally It does not take that much time to clay, so not sure if I need to be a time saver per say. The only thing that took a while was iron deposits/contamination but IronX would have been the solution.

Just detailed a car recently where the doors and hatch were as rough as sandpaper and what old "chip guard" texture would have. Some detailing spray and the yellow bar and it melted away.

Just thinking out loud on the nano vs clay. If I get a chance I'll buy some and check it out!
I'm a fan of the mother's bar too, but if I can find any shorcuts and get the same quality I'm all for it, especially on the full correction type jobs. Those nano's things are a little pricey but if they last more than a half dozen "normal" cars it may be worth it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I just dont see how that set up would have introduced any LESS swirls from how bad the contamination was. I researched of their website and all I can see is swirling of clay or clay like material = swirls.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used it three times so far, just need to make sure its properly lubed or it will leave a white residue. Two other selling points are lasts longer than clay and if you drop it, you can just rinse it off. Nothing more frustrating than having a piece of clay slip and get ruined. I still use clay as well, just for the tougher areas, wheels, rockers, etc. Its nice when you can do all the big panels in just a few minutes.

Quick Reply: Detailing (2010 Toyota Venza)