Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

**UPDATE** LS1 LOUD valvetrain noise. What did I break ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **UPDATE** LS1 LOUD valvetrain noise. What did I break ?

Only have about 1200 miles on my new heads / valvetrain setup.

Trickflow 215 60cc heads
TFS valve springs ( I think )
stock rocker arms
LS7 lifters
228 ish cam

455hp 413tq on Mustang dyno

So I was going up an on ramp last Saturday and I went WOT through 1st gear and most of 2nd gear. At around 5500 rpms I heard a funny noise and then the car just shut itself off. All the gauges went to zero and the car died.

I waited a few minutes and the car started right back up except it was ticking really really loud. Sounds like its coming from the valvetrain I think. Oil pressure seems OK and car didn't run all that rough.

I limped the car home and parked it. Today I drained the oil to look for any metal shavings or metal pieces. I ran the oil through a paint paper filter and it was as clean as can be.

I'm going to pull the valve covers this weekend but from the video, what does the noise sound like ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUM1BOdxSAk

***UPDATE***

I finally got time to pull the car apart and find out what happened. Looks like a pretty serious lifter failure!!! Heads, valves, springs, rockers, pushrods, etc are all fine. Started pulling out the lifters and found the culprit.

Name:  lifter-1.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  lifter-2.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  58.0 KB

Sooo my cam is junk and there are most likely metal pieces floating around in my motor somewhere. None came out when I drained the oil though. It took A LOT of force pulling out the bad lifter and I think I scored the lifter bore. I tried putting a good lifter back in that bore and it didnt fit. Is the shortblock junk now or can the lifter bore be honed/machined out again? hrmmm.

Last edited by brians91formula; 07-30-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

Also,

Does anyone know what this connector is for in the picture ?

p.s. I'm still on the stock fuel pump. Perhaps the car went lean and caused some sort of damage ? Just a thought...
Attached Thumbnails **UPDATE** LS1 LOUD valvetrain noise. What did I break ?-imag0349.jpg  
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

You will see it once you get the covers off... Might have a bent push rod, but hope it's not a collapsed lifter... Not sure about the connector...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like a pushrod,loose rocker to me. Def up top...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably broke a rocker would be my guess
Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 AM
10 Second Club

conector is for the vaccum pump solenoid. can't watch the video at work. Hope its not too bad
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the pushrod or rocker diagnosis. Hopefully thats all you got to deal with. You can't use stock rockers on TFS heads can you?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

Rocker or PR.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by brians91formula

Trickflow 215 60cc heads
TFS valve springs ( I think )
stock rocker arms
Here is one issue I see... TFS Heads on a stock rocker... Talk with TFS and they will confirm. You need Yella Terras as you really cannot get the correct swipe pattern on stock rockers. Even with shims, apparently it needs one that does not even exsist.

Willing to wager you have bent push rods and once you get a new set in and do a swipe test, bet your really off.

Here is a proper how-to with TFS heads and Yella Terras. I would use this as a reference.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322011
Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

If you pull you valve covers youll be able to see whats going on. Should be an easy fix
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Here is one issue I see... TFS Heads on a stock rocker... Talk with TFS and they will confirm. You need Yella Terras as you really cannot get the correct swipe pattern on stock rockers. Even with shims, apparently it needs one that does not even exsist.

Willing to wager you have bent push rods and once you get a new set in and do a swipe test, bet your really off.

Here is a proper how-to with TFS heads and Yella Terras. I would use this as a reference.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322011
You need to learn more.

You can certainly run stock rockers but the bar needs to be shimmed to get the right pattern.

Noise is probly a broken rocker. Could be a spring too but I'd bet rocker. Just pull the cover.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Well it's in my opinion, will leave it at that. Maybe the OP can get together with someone local and verify it is set up right once he finds out whats wrong. I have my exp. in this but not as much as others so we will see once he opens up the cover.

In the end it sucks that money was spent and he is having an issue. I feel bad for the guy and that is what stuck out to me. I had long wanted TFS heads and this is what I researched and had to budget for.

So if anyone else can help, please do.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 09-01-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well, stuff breaks.

Opinions are always good. Not everyone can afford roller rockers and we have alot of problems with the extra weight from roller rockers causing valve float.My personal cars run stock rockers. The OP has a Cam under .600 lift too.

Shims can certainly be used on these heads and AFR's. AFR never recommended roller rockers or shims but have alot of problems with guide wear.

Since the OP just asked about noise and not what rockers he runs, this shouldn't even go off post about different rockers.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Well it's in my opinion, will leave it at that. Maybe the OP can get together with someone local and verify it is set up right once he finds out whats wrong. I have my exp. in this but not as much as others so we will see once he opens up the cover.

In the end it sucks that money was spent and he is having an issue. I feel bad for the guy and that is what stuck out to me. I had long wanted TFS heads and this is what I researched and had to budget for.

So if anyone else can help, please do.
Slowhawk did the head swap / valvetrain so I know it was setup correctly. **** happens when you mod / beat on cars I guess.

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Well, stuff breaks.

Opinions are always good. Not everyone can afford roller rockers and we have alot of problems with the extra weight from roller rockers causing valve float.My personal cars run stock rockers. The OP has a Cam under .600 lift too.

Shims can certainly be used on these heads and AFR's. AFR never recommended roller rockers or shims but have alot of problems with guide wear.

Since the OP just asked about noise and not what rockers he runs, this shouldn't even go off post about different rockers.
This happened a few days after I brought the car to the track and missed a gear. I tried a fast shift to 4th gear and it went into 2nd. Probably over revved the **** out of the motor.

Few days later when I was giving the car a beat run, something decided to finally go. I'm blaming the damage on me missing a gear at the track.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

I hear yea, did not mean to step on toes. Just going off of what was stated and after hearing of possible driver error, can be very logical reason.

Sounds like your in good hands.

At this point, let us know how you make out.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

I hear yea, did not mean to step on toes. Just going off of what was stated and after hearing of possible driver error, can be very logical reason.

Sounds like your in good hands.

At this point, let us know how you make out.
No worries at all. I was skeptical about stock rockers with the TFS heads at first too.

I'll post up some carnage pictures when I pull the valve covers.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Back shifting happens. Since it didn't make the noise that day is good.

Should be easy to see witha valve cover off.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Back shifting happens.
Unless you got a pansy auto like some of us pansy's.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Got the valve covers off tonight. Both sides look fine, rockers look good. It was getting dark out though.

Guess I should pull the rockers off and pull / inspect each pushrod.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hmm did you go with LS7 lifters?

Quick Reply: **UPDATE** LS1 LOUD valvetrain noise. What did I break ?