2002 Trans Am Paint Correction *more pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2002 Trans Am Paint Correction *more pics*

In preperation to get the car sold...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-c...ans-am-m6.html

I am cleaning it up and buffing out 10+ years of swirls. I just started with the spoiler today to get my process. Used just a porter cable DA with LCC pads.

Washed
Clayed (no apparent contamination)
M105 on a Orange Pad #5 setting 2 passes
M205 on a White Pad #3.5 setting 2 passes
Show Car Glaze on a Blue Pad #3.5 setting
Hand applied Ultimate Paste Wax

Very impressed. I'd call it 90-95 correction. Could have appied the rotary to make it quicker but no rush, just taking my time. Photos from my Droid Razr Maxx. You can def see the orange peel but looks amazing even with the daylight gun or halogens.

You can almost swim in it.

I'll work a section at a time, top down, looking at the sail panel next.

BUFFED SPOILER

Before:

After:

Reflection:

Got some more work done. Spent easily 8 hours on it but the front clip corrected quicker as its newer clear. After buffing 2 coats of ultimate wax. So easy to work with.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 04-15-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

I'll be adding more here...
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good. Just did the same process to my black ss the other day!!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Internet Mechanic

Thanks man. Def on dark cars the difference can be amazing.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing the value you can add back into a car when you put a little love into correcting the paint. Finished paint will always capture a potential buyers eye and I know for a fact that there are monitary returns to be had.

I'm going through my inventory now to get ready, were about to fire up the machines again for the year. Thank god spring is here.

I got a couple projects I'm dying to tackle.
Good job.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

Damn cold spring uuuuggghhhh
Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
It's amazing the value you can add back into a car when you put a little love into correcting the paint. Finished paint will always capture a potential buyers eye and I know for a fact that there are monitary returns to be had.

I'm going through my inventory now to get ready, were about to fire up the machines again for the year. Thank god spring is here.

I got a couple projects I'm dying to tackle.
Good job.
Can't wait to have you work my car over. I'm so angry at the previous owner who took a buffer to the car. The guy really made a mess.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Can't wait to have you work my car over. I'm so angry at the previous owner who took a buffer to the car. The guy really made a mess.
For sure, we'll see what we're up against in a couple weeks.

The Porter Cable like BSM used is exactly the tool you want to work with for DIY. The previous owner probably took some kind of non-random orbital rotary tool to it, and in the wrong hands....
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Internet Mechanic

Rotary buffers have their place but even I seen the reason to have both. DA allows for fine correction. Hopefully the damage is consistent and can just be smoothed out. I myself still need a paint depth checker.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Internet Mechanic

One of my post last year was pant correction on a blue GMC that NEEDED the rotary. Unless I wanted to do 18 passes of m105 on a orange pad then step down. U have to make a judgement call on what steps to take hence the DA on the spoiler. Anything more than 2 orange pad passes I would have busted out the rotary.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

I've had great success with heavy correction using a FLEX DA and menzerna compounds. I have yet to face a car that I "needed" a rotary. But I agree a PC alone can be time consuming...I know.

Outside of faster correction with a rotary the best thing about them imo is that you can jewel paint. You really can't do that with a DA, close but not the same. But its a labor of love and usually not worth it on most cars.

Very few cars I've had to repeat the same pass, but it happens, usually just on spots or I need to just give it a little more love. If I was trying to rip through cars as fast as possible then the rotary is irreplaceable, but also opens up the door for really F'ing up if not carefull, you gotta try to mess up with a DA.

I also need a paint depth checker. I don't want to spend the insane $ for one though. Never mind one that does metal and glass/plastic.

One of these days we'll have to get together and I'll let you check out the Flex, its got a ton more power than a PC, gotta hang on. The goal is to clean up the paint removing the least possible, for me anyways it might take me a bit longer but if that means the owner or myself can correct it twice as much down the road then sometimes the time pays for iteself.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Internet Mechanic

Photos added progress made
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! I did this when i first got my car. M105&205 are a great one two punch. Now I just do the occasional polish with Menzerna SF4500 on my PC with a black LC pad, which works WONDERS with no dusting, easy removal and diminishing properties so it gets finer and finer as you use it. You should look into a paint sealer rather then a traditional Nuba wax to bring out that metallic paint. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond and its amazing.

This was after a single pass using Menzerna SF4500 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8&l=bf71a8433c
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Meh, not much of a boutique product kind of a guy. But I am glad they came back out BF as a few years ago there was a run on the product as it was no longer avalible and people lost their minds. Down the road I plan on going through my stuff and that is one product I will look into getting. I hear NOTHING but nice things as well as picking up stuff ive used up.

Most times for me is getting time and the space to do work and I do have to work around people's schedules as well as even in this garage, is a main pathway into the house and trying to not contaminate the car is a PAIN.

Got a few people looking at it this week, hopefully have her gone soon so the healing process can begin lol.

Next time I order stuff im getting 5 pairs of White / Orange LLC pads and I need a crap load of water magnets.

Also to note when I washed the car (in prep for claying the the spoiler got rinsed and 85-90 of water just shedded right off, kinda sick.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good man. I just did a black 03 cobra vert this weekend. Used the 205 with a white LC pad, foam pad glaze with a black LC pad and then #26 hightech yellow wax with the red LC jeweling pad. Usually I use the Collonite Insulator wax but I left it at the house.

I love how NBM looks when its all polished up good.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Keep it up.

When you get a chance you certainly need to try a nice sealant and then follow up with whatever LSP you perfer. Both BFWD and Powerlock are great. I think BFWD can get a little greasy on certains paints and/or humidity levels. I hope to try some Wolf's Hard Body stuff later this year, we will see.

Like mentioned if you are in the mood for a 3rd pass and you wanna try a different brand the sf4500 (AKA 85rd) will get the paint about as good as you will ever get it as you need a nano polish to really jewel, or just use sf4000 (AKA 106fa) which I finish most cars with as a replacement for m205. Unlike Meguires it is diminishing (like mentioned below) so while you sacrifice a little longevity in cutting power (never really noticed) you get an even better finish. I've done single pass jobs with PF2500 if you break it down long enough, that I wouldn't recommend with 105 only.

Looks great man, maybe when you're done you won't want to sell it anymore.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Internet Mechanic

Yea, wish that was the case. Already got intrest so we will see.

Next car I get will get sealed and that will be a new thing to learn.

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am Paint Correction *more pics*