Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Grundy Insurance

Old 03-13-2015, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Grundy Insurance

Hi Fellas,
Any of you MA residents have experience with Grundy's declared value insurance?

I was thinking about going this route, seeing as I believe I am already matching their eligibility requirements, this will make sure I'm covered for a realistic value in a worst case event, and will cut my premiums in half.

Pros/Cons or otherwise? Just looking for firsthand experience.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

Best insurance for our cars PERIOD!!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep! $400 a year for full coverage...can't beat it!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Yep! $400 a year for full coverage...can't beat it!
Mind sharing any details about your policy? What you can and can't do?

If anybody has any experience with claims I'd be curious as well. I have commerce now on all my cars and I've been happy with them when it comes to handling claims, but pretty sure they don't offer this type of collector coverage.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I love the agreed value "collector car" insurance. Personally I use Hagerty, and you can't beat the price. Just make sure you have a really thorough appraisal done and have all your receipts lined up. I used a guy from RI who specializes in collector and classic cars and was very happy with his assessment. Let me know if you want his info.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Thanks

Mind sharing any details about your policy? What you can and can't do?

If anybody has any experience with claims I'd be curious as well. I have commerce now on all my cars and I've been happy with them when it comes to handling claims, but pretty sure they don't offer this type of collector coverage.
With hagerty (I'm assuming Grundy is similar) they check to see if you own another car to make sure you aren't driving the car daily. They also specify that it must be stored in an inclosed area. Other than that, you are free to drive the wheels off it.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just switched to Grundy Saved alot
Old 03-14-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't remember the details of the policy anymore except it has the typical deductibles and coverage and is almost as good as any major insurance carrier except for small things like windshield repair for instance. You have to not drive more than a certain amount of miles, storage, etc, etc....Just give them a call...I think you'll be impressed with what they offer for the money
Old 03-14-2015, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Fellas, I think I will look into Grundy and see what I can get.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting, ill have to look into this too.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

$207 per year w/ 13k in coverage here. My car has 105k on it. You need to be ove 25 and have a dd in your name. A clean licence helps as well.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had grundy for two or three years now and cannot complain. I've never filed a claim so I don't have any first hand experience with that. I pay ~$250/year for a $15k declared value. There are limitations as what the car can/should be used for so you might want to ask them about the specific restrictions before pulling the trigger.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

I've been with Grundy for about 7 years now, for my '98 and '71.

As mentioned above, there are NO mileage restrictions at all, however there are some usage restrictions. The car cannot be used for basic transportation or daily driving, etc. The car can be driven to and from events, or as part of an event, or for service, and for limited pleasure use. They don't have an official definition of "limited" in terms of pleasure use, but I would assume that if you file more than one claim in a given period of time, they will likely investigate more in depth.

As also mentioned above, the car must be stored indoors when not in use, and you must own another car for daily transportation.

There is no need for any appraisal when opening an agreed value policy with Grundy, unless perhaps you wanted to cover the car for some ridiculously high figure. I did not need an appraisal for $20k of coverage on my Z28 back 7 years ago when I moved it over to Grundy; this hasn't changed as far as I know. They do require pictures of the car though.

There is a different price scale for premiums on 25+ year old cars vs newer cars such as these. As good as the rates are for our 4th gens, they are even better for the Antiques. My '71 is insured for quite a bit more than my '98, yet the '71 is considerably cheaper to cover. Good news is, unlike with "normal" insurance, you only pay once for liability coverage should you insure more than one collector car with Grundy. You don't have to pay liability for each car like you would with a typical policy.

Several years back there was a member here on 'Tech who had a pretty big claim with Grundy, for some serious damage to his Firehawk I think it was. I seem to remember the payout being something like $9k or so, due to the car rolling off a trailer and into a ditch. According to the member's report, it sounded like Grundy gave him no hassles at all.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've been with Grundy for about 7 years now, for my '98 and '71.

As mentioned above, there are NO mileage restrictions at all, however there are some usage restrictions. The car cannot be used for basic transportation or daily driving, etc. The car can be driven to and from events, or as part of an event, or for service, and for limited pleasure use. They don't have an official definition of "limited" in terms of pleasure use, but I would assume that if you file more than one claim in a given period of time, they will likely investigate more in depth.

As also mentioned above, the car must be stored indoors when not in use, and you must own another car for daily transportation.

There is no need for any appraisal when opening an agreed value policy with Grundy, unless perhaps you wanted to cover the car for some ridiculously high figure. I did not need an appraisal for $20k of coverage on my Z28 back 7 years ago when I moved it over to Grundy; this hasn't changed as far as I know. They do require pictures of the car though.

There is a different price scale for premiums on 25+ year old cars vs newer cars such as these. As good as the rates are for our 4th gens, they are even better for the Antiques. My '71 is insured for quite a bit more than my '98, yet the '71 is considerably cheaper to cover. Good news is, unlike with "normal" insurance, you only pay once for liability coverage should you insure more than one collector car with Grundy. You don't have to pay liability for each car like you would with a typical policy.

Several years back there was a member here on 'Tech who had a pretty big claim with Grundy, for some serious damage to his Firehawk I think it was. I seem to remember the payout being something like $9k or so, due to the car rolling off a trailer and into a ditch. According to the member's report, it sounded like Grundy gave him no hassles at all.
Awesome thanks,

I did their online quote, looks like its about $1 per $1000 covered. (30k is $300yr). I'll be giving them a call to iron out the details.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The car cannot be used for basic transportation or daily driving, etc.
I wonder what the exact stipulations for that is how they really know?

I was also looking into this option, but I like to take my car to work every once in a while especially in the summer when the weather is nice. Obviously it's not my daily driver and I have another vehicle for that, but wonder how they really determine what is daily driving and what is not?

Anyone have experience with talking to them about this topic specifically?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
I wonder what the exact stipulations for that is how they really know?

I was also looking into this option, but I like to take my car to work every once in a while especially in the summer when the weather is nice. Obviously it's not my daily driver and I have another vehicle for that, but wonder how they really determine what is daily driving and what is not?

I also just filed the paperwork to switch the Hawk, from Allstate to Grundy, same coverage with the restrictions went from $900+ to $213 a year.

I also like to drive it to work once in awhile, so I asked the Phone Rep about it, and he stated that the occasional ride to work is ok, as is stopping at the store on the way home from a covered use. I didn't want to stop for a gallon of milk on the way home from a cruise have a claim and not be covered.

So it sounds like there are restrictions and it would probably be in your best interest to follow them, but the occasional use outside of them is ok.

YMMV
Old 03-17-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Grundy doesn't seem too strict with their driving exceptions. Just be honest if you are thinking of signing up. I drive my car 20 times a year and never to work so I am not worried. If you are driving to work several times a week during the summer I would be a bit concerned. No claims with them yet - and hopefully never - so I can't speak to that, but like other have said they are cheap. I pay $350 a year for $20K agreed upon value.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

They sound pretty fair about their stipulations.

I've had my car for like 14yrs so I'm in it for the long haul.
I've driven to work with it maybe 3 times in 10yrs. I tend not too mostly because Rt2/128 traffic is insane and I don't want to risk anything happening from some dumbass. Plus I tend to create a bit of a commotion when I leave, from a cold start in the garage it pretty much sets a few alarms off (Never mind trying to leave at 5:20AM).

I drove 2k miles last year, so its not driven often, usually weekends just for rides and hope to get back to the track sooner or later as well as build a new motor in the not too distant future. Its purely a toy/garage queen (In storage nearly 5 months outta the year), I don't rely on it for my day to day, Have 2 other cars with a 3rd tempting me.

I'll take it on the occasional errand and will go to the track every so often, as long as they are cool with that.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
When I signed up years ago, I did talk to them about this and explained that I use the car(s) much like others in this thread have described; mostly car shows, but occasional pleasure drives on nice days where I might stop at a store, etc. Just like mentioned above, they told me this was fine to do on occasion. During further conversation they basically implied that frequency and location of claims were the tools they used to determine if someone was abusing the rules. Since I only drive each of mine between about 300-1000 miles per year a piece and they spend the remainder of the time in the garage, I didn't see any issue in this regard.

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I'll take it on the occasional errand and will go to the track every so often, as long as they are cool with that.
They will not cover you in any sort of track/racing situation. There was a form I had to sign about this, that any sort of "speed contests" where not covered and that the car wasn't used for this purpose.

I think there are some companies now that offer coverage for race cars used in events, but I don't believe Grundy is one of them. In general, for a racing purposes you are on your own if something happens - no typical street or collector/show car policy will cover a claim like that.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-17-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

During further conversation they basically implied that frequency and location of claims were the tools they used to determine if someone was abusing the rules.
Hmm ok good to know, so they don't actually track your mileage and time of day that you travel. Although that basically means that you are limited in the amout of claims you can make in a given amout of time, or they'll just cry daily driver and revoke your coverage even though you could have been using the car exactly as they allowed it just got really unlucky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grundy Insurance