Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

MA Inspection Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MA Inspection Changes?

Sorry if this has been covered (flipped through this section quickly but didn't see any reference to it).

There has been talk on Facebook about the New MA Inspection process: but there's not a ton of info yet. So rather than pick through a few smaller groups I figured I'd try to look up info here.

First: I'm wondering exactly what is changing with the new inspection process?

Second: I'm curious what impact it will have on tuned/modified cars

Third: and semi relevant: I'm curious if emissions exempt vehicles are required to still have emissions related components on them?
Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

I was just going to post something about this. So far I've heard they may be able to tell if there's a tune when the plug in for ob2 readiness on emissions. Also rumor has it if you are late on getting a sticker and is expired you will automatically get charged a 50 dollar fine. I have a friend going to the new class in a couple weeks so will know shortly what exactly will be facts. Either way doesn't sound good
Old 09-03-2017, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are just enforcing current laws and not fully enforcing. It's in place to catch shops passing unsafe cars. I have many customers that already went to the class and own sticker bays.
I will say,for the best. Get a sticker this month so it's good for a year because the first few months shops are going to be scared.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
They are just enforcing current laws and not fully enforcing. It's in place to catch shops passing unsafe cars. I have many customers that already went to the class and own sticker bays.
I will say,for the best. Get a sticker this month so it's good for a year because the first few months shops are going to be scared.
Hey Don,

So do you think those people saying tuned vehicles won't be passed are mistaken? Or do you feel that the LS Tunes wouldn't be distinguished?

People were also jumping on saying Cold Air Intakes wouldn't be passed... but I'm assuming if they're CARB certified they'd be fine?

I'm guessing you're correct in saying that this is mostly to deal with the safety issues: but it's hard to ignore the people saying they've gone to the class and that any modified car won't be passed!

I guess if that were the case: lots of shops and businesses would be out of business... but knowing this lovely state of ours....
Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

There is a lot of stupid people posting stupid things out there. I have many customers that own inspection bays. I just pass on what they told me. They are not worried and took the classes.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Headers with Cats should be ok.,?
Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I've read, the same rules mainly apply but they will be much more strict in what they will and will not pass. All of the things mentioned revolve around placing multiple cameras around so that it makes it 1) easier for the tech to see stuff and 2) easier for audits to catch shops that let stuff go.

None of the new "rules" will not affect most of us unless you are blatantly out of code.

I think the biggest issue that hotrodders on this forum will face is the lack of cats on headers. With a camera under the car (correct me if I'm wrong) it will be easy for them to see lack of cats. Up until now it took a very vigilant inspector to see the lack of cats.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redtan
From what I've read, the same rules mainly apply but they will be much more strict in what they will and will not pass. All of the things mentioned revolve around placing multiple cameras around so that it makes it 1) easier for the tech to see stuff and 2) easier for audits to catch shops that let stuff go.

None of the new "rules" will not affect most of us unless you are blatantly out of code.

I think the biggest issue that hotrodders on this forum will face is the lack of cats on headers. With a camera under the car (correct me if I'm wrong) it will be easy for them to see lack of cats. Up until now it took a very vigilant inspector to see the lack of cats.
That’s what I’m most worried about: is Cats and a Cutout: my vehicle is emissions exempt due to age: but I’m guessing the law still required emissions equipment in place?
Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did everyone go crazy for nothing? lol
Old 10-20-2017, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
So did everyone go crazy for nothing? lol
Lol: I’m curious if people are still waiting to get theirs done....
Old 10-21-2017, 08:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I know a few of our built cars did inspection this month. head,cam,blower,longtubes ect. They passed no problem.

Quick Reply: MA Inspection Changes?