Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Shop to paint & prep hood?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop to paint & prep hood?

Finally got around to ordering a ram air hood. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the nova/dmv area?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Herlihy's Pain't & Fab, 703-851-1977. Mitch used to work at Sterling hot rod's until he opened up his own shop. He's a hell of a guy and does top notch work.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by biketopia
Herlihy's Pain't & Fab, 703-851-1977. Mitch used to work at Sterling hot rod's until he opened up his own shop. He's a hell of a guy and does top notch work.
Called this shop and left a couple messages. Still no reply. Not sure what the deal is :/
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just spoke with him this weekend, unfortunately he's finishing up the projects he has now and closing his doors. Not 100% sure what happened. Sterling Hot Rod's will also be a good option, they are getting ready to move down the street in a month or two. I know the shop foreman, I'll talk to him and see what their time line would be. Recommended Mitch first since he would of been that much closer to ya.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Just spoke with him this weekend, unfortunately he's finishing up the projects he has now and closing his doors. Not 100% sure what happened. Sterling Hot Rod's will also be a good option, they are getting ready to move down the street in a month or two. I know the shop foreman, I'll talk to him and see what their time line would be. Recommended Mitch first since he would of been that much closer to ya.
Appreciate it! I didn’t think it’d be this hard to find a place around to paint the hood. After calling a few local shops- a couple said they don’t do fiberglass and one quoted me $650 which seems a bit high to me.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Believe it or not ,,, I've gotten that kind of work done well at a Maico.. Just make sure to specify you want full sand prep, prime and the urethane upgrade. I think the hood on a Older chevy truck cost me about 400.. Oh and take it in on a Friday/Saturday and ask them to spray the final coat last thing before closing leave it in the paint booth till they open up next. (That part cost me a six-pack to the guys... )
Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Believe it or not ,,, I've gotten that kind of work done well at a Maico.. Just make sure to specify you want full sand prep, prime and the urethane upgrade. I think the hood on a Older chevy truck cost me about 400.. Oh and take it in on a Friday/Saturday and ask them to spray the final coat last thing before closing leave it in the paint booth till they open up next. (That part cost me a six-pack to the guys... )
I wasn’t sure if maaco would be able to do the baking required. I believe they’re a franchise so I would think it would be hit or miss depending on the location.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Sterling hot rod said it’d be $1500-2500.Is this real life? Lol
Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sean byrd
Sterling hot rod said it’d be $1500-2500.Is this real life? Lol

It'll be show car perfect haha...seems a little high though. You remember who you talked to?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Launching!

It'll be show car perfect haha...seems a little high though. You remember who you talked to?
It was through email. Definitely not paying that much for just a hood though. He mentioned costs would depend on the quality of the hood but I’ve read the trufibers shouldn’t need much work. He also asked if I have lighter springs but trufibers website says they use oem hinges/Springs.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Launching!

I need to get my WS6 hood repainted. Terrible factory paint and with big spots where the clear coat pealed off.

Any recommendations of a good shop in New Jersey area (I'm in central NJ)?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002WS6_MN6
I need to get my WS6 hood repainted. Terrible factory paint and with big spots where the clear coat pealed off.

Any recommendations of a good shop in New Jersey area (I'm in central NJ)?

Thanks
way to hijack my thread :/

Quick Reply: Shop to paint & prep hood?