Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

PA Safety Inspection/Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA Safety Inspection/Emissions

I'll be moving to Pennsylvania soon, just south of Pittsburgh and will eventually have to register my '12 CTS-V there. Emissions may or may not be a problem as they have a clause for cars driven less than 5k miles a year (which I will be under), but the safety inspection checks for cats etc., which may or may not be currently installed. Does anyone know of a car enthusiast friendly inspection shop in the area I could go to? PM me if you'd like or post if there are other questions. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2019, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

safety does not check for cats in pa.....unless im in a special county or something. cats are not required to pass emissions or safety
Old 03-30-2019, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I believe. you are allowed one check engine lite on. As far as cats, they should be there but could be gutted but really with these new style cats, they don't cost power anymore. When you get into pa, just go to the local speed shop or high performance shop, even a good car show and ask a hot car owner.You have a friend in pa-lol. Good luck
Old 03-30-2019, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

in berks county, emissions literally is just, plug in scanner, are all applicable monitors running? if not, fail, if yes are there any codes? if yes codes you fail, if no codes you pass.

so you are allowed to delete cats and egr secondary air all that stuff, but you have to delete it out of the tune. when it is scanned, the scanner will basically see it as "vehicle not equipped" and you pass. not all cars have secondary air or egr etc so it isn't a requirement.

literally for me its, no check engine light and you pass emissions.

the one that is impossible to get around tho is exhaust has to exit away from the vehicle for safety inspection, weather it goes all the way out the back or to the sides. i have a cheater extender pipe i put on my dumped y pipe i slip on and off to pass.

Last edited by Floorman279; 03-30-2019 at 11:22 PM. Reason: .......
Old 04-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
safety does not check for cats in pa.....unless im in a special county or something. cats are not required to pass emissions or safety
Cats are federally required on 1981 and newer vehicles. You can still get ticketed for not having them regardless, even if it passed inspection without them.

Last edited by Mgill; 04-01-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

IIRC some counties also has CO2 emission check aka sniffer test. Lancaster doesn't have that though thankfully.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mgill
Cats are federally required on 1981 and newer vehicles. You can still get ticketed for not having them regardless, even if it passed inspection without them.
i never said i wouldn't, just talking about what is required. im not so certain there is a law about cats, however i am familiar with the modified exhaust laws if that is what you are referring too. bottom line OP, whatever county you are moving to, just look up the vehicle codes for that county as they all do very somewhat, especially near major cities.

you mentioned the 5000 mile exemption, you are correct about that but you still will need to pass safety inspection yearly regardless of miles
Old 04-02-2019, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Floorman279
i never said i wouldn't, just talking about what is required. im not so certain there is a law about cats, however i am familiar with the modified exhaust laws if that is what you are referring too. bottom line OP, whatever county you are moving to, just look up the vehicle codes for that county as they all do very somewhat, especially near major cities.

you mentioned the 5000 mile exemption, you are correct about that but you still will need to pass safety inspection yearly regardless of miles
I'm just saying, if you get stopped at a roadside inspection stop, or if a cop wants to be a dick and do a spot check if you get pulled over, you can and will get fined regardless of if it passed inspection. It is a federal law to have them and you can be fined up to 10,000 for not having them.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

can you please show me where you seen that fine (not being a jerk promise, just wouldn't mind getting a better idea) i searched and found nothing
Old 04-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Launching!

https://legalbeagle.com/7194804-cata...rter-laws.html
Old 04-02-2019, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

simple, just say this is how i bought the car. whats funny is my local exhaust shop cut mine off for me cause it was clogged, and it was an unmonitored one in my i pipe so we just put a piece of pipe in
Old 04-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys. Just got up to PA this week, but don't have a permanent place yet do won't have my car for a couple months. In the counties near Pittsburgh an OBD and gas cap check are required for emissions. The safety inspection does specifically call out cats and other exhaust items. I'll take a look at some speed shops that do inspections and see what I find there.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I lived in Ohio for 15 years then moved back to my home state of PA. Your first inspection is a regular inspection, no way around it. The following year, you can be Emission exempt (if less than 5,000 miles) from emissions but still have to pay for the sticker. You need to find a place that does "special or custom Inspections" You don't have to do it right away like the law says but you don't want to wait a year either. Go to your local Autozone or Advance Auto and start getting to know the guys, show them your car and talk cars with them. They should point you in the right direction.

Odds are, it may cost you a few more $$$ than a regular inspection, but worth it!