Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

I'm a home owner!

Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default I'm a home owner!

Well, closing went thru last Friday, so that's it, I'm now a homeowner. Got alot of work to do to the house, including building a garage, residing and alot of other stuff too. Made some serious headway on the interior this past weekend, should have everythign inside ready to move in by the end of the month I figure. I'd post Pic's... if I had a camera and knew how.

I plan on having a gathering or two at the house sometime in the near future.. not so sure how the old lady next door will like it, but oh well, she had it good for a long time with the fiancee's grandfather, so I guess it's time for the neibhor's to pay their dues now

Hope they like lopey loud exhaust in the middle of the night
Old 04-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I moved in two weeks ago to my place. It's a weird feeling.

Yesterday it was pretty warm outside, sat outside on the patio, had a few drinks with some music on. It was awesome, this summer is going to be the best yet.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Race your car!

Yeah, yesterday I was working on getting the old wheelchair ramp that grampa had off the rear deck apart, got to finish that up tonite with a buddy of mine, and start putting the stairs up. ( Sorry wheels! )

It was an odd feeling this morning, getting up and leaving for work from there. The commute sucks alot more now, but the mortgage is affordable, so I guess it's a trade off. I'm sure once I move in completely, it won't be so bad.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:08 PM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats man. good luck
Old 04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Humanitarian

Almost 14 days later I am still going to sleep hoping I'm not dreaming haha. My commute is not as far, quicker and I have a Chevy Cav so I'm not using nearly as much gas. If I leave at the last possible minute I hit traffic on the way to work, I usally dont go faster than 65 mph. On the way home there is one spot of traffic that slows down but for the most part I can go 60 - 70 mph.

Heck, I went riding ATV's like 2 miles from my front door for a couple of hours. I have everything around me expect for naked girls running around in my room having a pillow fight but DIESO Inc. is working on that.

I moved out from Southie after 23 years and you don't even know how much I don't miss it. Man, looking back, that place was a gutter.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats to both of ya'll!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

where did ya move to? or are you still in Ellington?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

It's a great feeling isn't it? Paid mine off completely recently, feels good.
Congrats.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

HEy Joe I just got mine in November and I did the same thing yesterday. music and some wine on the porch.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Humanitarian

I have a wine rack, just gotta fill it ahahah.

A good wine is the *****. I'll drink the entire bottle. I've down two and a half before, the stuff is just too good to stop after a glass.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Race your car!

I actually bought the house in New Britan, but am still between there and Ellington, until I get everythign inside done.

it will be ab while before I pay it off, I got alot to do to the house, reside, new windows, I just got the carpet scheduled for installation ( $3200!! ) and I have a floor in the hallway and kitchen/dining room that will get done next, then the driveway needs to be extended, and a garage built... so that is about 60K I figure by the time I get done... never mind buying furnature and whatnot.

good thing I got the cam and rear in my car this year first.. that never would have gotten done if I didn't. But hey, what ya gonna do right?

Hopefully, there will still be $$ for mods somewhere. At least once I get the garage built, I'll have a place to house the car, and work on it myself... instead of a driveway. Probably save alot of $$ in labor once that happens, so the mods should get a little cheaper, in a way.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

Congrats on the new house. I've been in mine now for 3 years and it's a great feeling.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good thing about owning your own home is that you can do whatever you want and don't have to answer to anyone else. Good neighbors are also a plus. It's always good to get along with everyone around you. Invite them to parties, help shoveling, watch their property ect.. Most will do the same for you. Try to do the upgrades that you really want so you don't have to change them again later. At least in the near future.

I bought my house about 6 years ago. 3 bedroom ranch with a big building (garage) next to it. Added onto the garage so it could hold 4 cars on the ground and 2 on the lifts. There are two rooms in the back so I have a big screen and living room furniture in one and computer/other stuff in the other. Took half of my basement and made it into a bedroom a few years ago. Also renovated all of the other rooms (paint, carpets, new kitchen/bath ect...). And then after all this I had the house leveled in December.

Added 10-13' onto the front of the house, 14' onto the side and then had a Colonial built on that foundation. Same bedroom count so I don't have to update the septic but they are much bigger. 2.5 bathrooms, hot tub in the master bath and one on the back deck. The deck is 48' long x 25' at the deepest point. Everything they tell you about building a house is true. The main contractor has been awesome! Some of the subcontractors have been a headache. I'm also running into some material delays. Almost waiting for the power to be run underground. They say I'll be in the house by July but we'll see. I've taken close to 700 pictures since this project started. Here are some before and after pics -

Before -

After -

Back -

and cool one from the sky -
Old 04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats Jas!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:52 PM

Business must be good Tom, Nice house.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

damn tom just a little addition huh ?

looks good so far though
Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 AM
9 Second Club

What'd you take that sky shot from your helicopter?
Nice house man.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Race your car!

Jesus Tom, I think that I need to make a career change. Anyone in need of a business partner for a speed shop... or a tech at this point!?!?

Thanks tho guys, it's gonna be good, alot of work to do and alot of stuff to buy... but give me a year, and it will be looking good. Nothing like that transformation that Tom gave his tho
Old 04-13-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I never planned on putting an addition on let alone build a whole new house. My in-laws mentioned that going up a level would be a good way to get some more room. Kept blowing that idea off until we talked about it another night and something just clicked. Julie and I went home and started figuring out some floorplans for a 2nd floor. Needed a stairway to get up there and then wanted more room on the 1st floor. That lead to an additional in the front. In the end we figured it would be easier to level the house and start from scratch. Only thing is the school system here isn't rated to high so she keeps telling me the house is in the wrong town. Dartmouth schools are much better so she would rather be in that town. That is another thing to look into when buying a house. If you have or plan on having kids you need to know how the school system is. I'm still amazed at what these kids are learning in kindergarten.

The sky shot was taken from my father-in-law's seaplane.

JL: When you start thinking about the garage figure out how much room you need and then add to that. You'll never complain that you have to much garage space. Get many quotes if you won't be doing the work yourself. I've found that there can be a HUGE spread in $ for the same job and plan on calling contractors more than you call your family. It sometimes takes a little motivation to get them going. You should be all set if your doing it yourself or with friends. Friends usually work for beer

Search this Thread