Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Domestic Muscle Cars... THEFT RATE???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Domestic Muscle Cars... THEFT RATE???

i oringally came from the honda world and it got ******* annoying to read a
my honda was stolen" thread everyday in the honda forum i was a member of. this is why i bought a rx7 because these thieves cant put rx7 parts into their civic hatchback.

im very curious as to how the theft rate for camaros, corvettes, gtos, etc is in the east coast? im sure its not as bad as hondas but ive never read a post yet in here about their car getting stolen.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Worst I heard was some vette owner in Kentucky picked his car up in the am from the dealer, went out to his car during lunch, and it was gone! (dealer hired some shady mech's , never heard the outcome)

That was 2-3 years ago... and the only theft I read on the boards. Far as I know the parts market is slim pickings as there are so few sports cars out there compared with the honda's toyota's etc meaning the parts market is limited and makes it more difficult to resell hot items. The ones that do get stolen usually are shipped out via cargo containers to foreign countries
Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I think most of the thefts of these cars are probably joyriders out looking for some fun. I doubt most professionals would waste their time. Not enough of a market out there for parts, thats where the profit is. Obviously you can't resell a stolen car so the only option is to chop it. There's a shitload of Camry's, Civic's, and Accord's out there, so parts are in higher demand, plus import parts usually cost more, so there's more profit from the stolen parts.

I know the theft rate is insanely high for Integra Type R's and older Civic Si's because people like to steal the motors and put them in their Civics.

And I know HID projectors were a hot theft item too from Luxury cars, since everyone wants them and they go for like $2k new.

But as someone trying to sell well tell ya, no one really wants Fbodies
Old 04-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

yeah the integra type r and civic si will soon become an extinct breed of sports car (except the civic si). the type r can smoke a lot of high hp cars on the track with only around 180whp. thieves even break into their garage just to steal the R. its sad. good thing im out of the honda game. i still have my 99% stock 70hp civic hatchback as my everyday ride. very fuel friendly
Old 04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read one thread on here where someone saw a guy steal his gorgeous SS while at work and the cops had a high speed chase with it and the car was totalled... very sad story but i do hear of some stolen stories since i guess it isn't that hard to get into these cars.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They look for parts they can sell... Just put a sticker on the window "powered by 345 horse and a 10 bolt" no one will touch it.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

I love the story about the guy that caught some dude trying to hotwire his car (he asked, 'what the hell are you doing?' and the dude tried to play it off like he owned the car and forgot his keys ) and beat the **** out of him. The only shitty part was that the cops brought him in for assault, too when they got there.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamTom12
I love the story about the guy that caught some dude trying to hotwire his car (he asked, 'what the hell are you doing?' and the dude tried to play it off like he owned the car and forgot his keys ) and beat the **** out of him. The only shitty part was that the cops brought him in for assault, too when they got there.
LOL i remember that he beat him up pretty good