Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Mass laws=speeding, expired license?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Do you remember all my court trouble? It was for the same thing, no license and racing (plus no insurance). I'm amazed he let you drive the car home, I had to wait over half a hour for a tow truck and the cop took my plates from my car too!

You dont need to mail it in because you cannot apeal this. It's not a civil offense where you can pay a fine to get it over with or appeal it. You HAVE to go before a judge so they'll mail you something.

They'll ask you how you plead, say innocent. Then your out for the day.

The next time you go you'll be arrainged and you have a chance to explain your story. Then your out for the day.

Then you'll show up for your hearing and you'll want to ask for a public lawyer. He'll prob get you off easily but you may need to leave and go back another day. All of these dates are like 2-5 weeks apart.

They are gonna keep your license until your hearing, it's now revoked. You need to pay some decent money in court fee's/fines, then you'll pay the lawyer fee.

Then you'll go to the RMV for your license and they'll tell you to go to a safety driver's class. That'll cost money then there is usally a BIG re-instatement fine to get your license back.

Oh yea, you'll prob be on probation for 6 months to 1 year. If your lucky they say if you dont get stopped within that time frame they'll wipe your record clean. If not....your insurance will cost ALOT more.

It's all about the money man.

NEVER EVER plead innocent. No one is innocent from the moment they learn how to lie. Not guilty is the plea, and get youself a lawyer.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

An officer by law has to ESTIMATE your speed before using RADAR/LIDAR. So, by checking off ESTIMATE they cover there ***.

Dude, you should plead guilty. Talk to the District Attorney when you get to court and work out a plea bargain. Your license was only expired, not suspended or revoked so it's not that big of a deal. Plus your record is clean. Don't blow money on a lawyer. I spent $900 once and the guy didnt do **** for me.

I got caught driving with a suspended license, and after talking to the DA I pleaded guilty and the charges were dismissed. The only catch was if I got in trouble within 3 months the charges would have been reinstated.

I am a step 32 BTW, my record is terrible. Your's doesn't seem so bad so you probably have an even better chance of getting it dropped. Just make sure you talk to the DA, he/she will be the one arranging whatever plea bargain is good for you and the judge will go along with it just about every time.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

danno,

one point is roughly 7.5% of your base premium on the line items of: Compulsory bodily injury, Personal injury protection, Damage to other’s property, and 7% on collision... a 'minor' traffic violation is 2 points, and your first speeding is a freebee. depending on the severity, you can get up to 5 points on one infraction. i'm not sure where your case falls, and i'm not sure if they can hit you multiple times because they cited you for multiple violations.

also keep in mind that more than anything, the state/town just wants your money... its more important to them than the safety of the public. use that to your advantage and try the 'plea bargain' technique of getting them to knock the ticket down to a non-criminal charge of the same fine. in this case, i highly doubt that you can get off totally, but you should be able to get things down to the level that you'll only feel that you got jabbed in the *** with a red hot poker and not prision raped by the state/town.

good luck

Last edited by slayer_taunu; 06-27-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
When I was stopped the ticket had both Estimated and Radar checked. I don't know what that means, A cop told me that it probably means he estimated you 1st and then clocked you.
My guess is that he only got you on radar for a split second, and not long enough to "lock-in" your speed on the gun...The gun's not really accurate unless it gets a lock which take a few seconds to happen. Maybe if the cop didn't have enough time to lock-in your speed, he check's estimate.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brad who did that happen to this weekend. Thats BS there is no need to arrest someone for a expired lisece. Although when mine expired i went that day and got it renewed. Then i still kept my expired and temp lisence with me till i got my new one just in case i got any problems.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya that is bs because it is expired not revoked, not like it was taking away for a reason???
Old 07-01-2005, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chief455
Expired charge = $ 50
Speeding charge = $100

No lawyer.
Now my insurance will still go up next year.

STOP!!!
Guys - this is the RESULT - not my guess! It's done for 150 bucks. Dropped the criminal carge and whacked me "responsible" for speeding, but not 85.
No lawyer - didn't even get to see a prosecutor first.

Quick Reply: Mass laws=speeding, expired license?