Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

May be moving to N.Y. Emissions testing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default May be moving to N.Y. Emissions testing?

Looks like the army is going to send me to freaking NY to be an ROTC instructor in some college. I've never seen enough snow to ski in during my 37 years Anyway, how strict are the safety inspections there? I have no cats and my 427 (couple weeks away from being fired up) has a 244/250 cam. Am I gonna have problems?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

NY moved to OBD2 testing now. No sniffer, but if you're familiar with it, they plug into the ECM and monitor emissions systems readiness and any codes being thrown. Shouldn't be too hard to pass with some LS1edit work. Inspection station may do a visual for cats though, depends on location.

BTW, wherebouts you moving to?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, it looks like I will have to get cats. It is the same here in N.C., but a certain place hooks me up and passes me on the visual. I'm not sure where I will be going. I thought I was told it would be Jamestown, but I was also told it was close to NYC. Looked at a map and they aren't close. I will find out everything on Friday. I'm glad I bought an '04 Jeep Wrangler a few months ago. Looks like I will need the 4WD haha
Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a family member that lives where you are now, just keep your car reg. there and bring it here... you should be fine No changes would have to be made!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Miriah
If you have a family member that lives where you are now, just keep your car reg. there and bring it here... you should be fine No changes would have to be made!
Never married, no kids. I'm a playa My NC registration would be good for almost a year, though. So I'll have time to prep. Or find a place that will overlook the cats No more winter cruising I guess, huh?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Lol, yeah Jamestown and NYC are on about complete opposite ends of the state.

I wouldn't worry too much about that cat thing. Once you figure where your going to be I'm sure some local guys can send you to a place that won't care. The guy who does my inspections builds and races his own alcohol rail car, so he's always been cool with a fellow (though very novice) drag racer.

If your in Southern NY, snow isn't THAT bad, but the problem is more of the salt, since they salt the **** out of the roads anytime snow even threatens or if its just flurrying.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Never married, no kids. I'm a playa My NC registration would be good for almost a year, though. So I'll have time to prep. Or find a place that will overlook the cats No more winter cruising I guess, huh?
Well we could always use another "playa" in NY lol but I really meant like a mom/dad/aunt/uncle/grandma/grandpa type of family member. LOL

I used to slide the streets of NY during the winter in my Formula
Old 06-07-2005, 04:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
If your in Southern NY, snow isn't THAT bad
What, only 20 feet?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

You don't need cats as long as your computer isn't throwing any codes to pass the emissions since it's only obdII now. You shouldn't have a problem having someone either overlook the lack of cats or not even realize that they're missing.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:41 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go look for Joe Prince
Old 06-07-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JS
Go look for Joe Prince
I actually talked to him about 6 weeks ago. He has not moved, like was rumored. Same cell #. He joined the Navy Reserves. He said he still had my heads (bare) all this time, but had never shipped them to me because he didn't want to give them to me w/ no parts on them. Said he has never had the money to buy springs, valves and retainers all this time I told him to give me what he has, and he promised he would send them right away. Of course he never did.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:38 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Its sad,the guy can port he just wasnt a good businessman.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JS
Its sad,the guy can port he just wasnt a good businessman.
Yeah, I'm sure those heads are killer. I know they were CNC'd by TEA because Brent told me my heads were the last ones he did for Prince. And I know he has them because another member told me he saw them at Joe's right before I talked to him last time. I didn't really think he would follow through, but I was hoping because I know they are better than the FFHP heads I have now.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:46 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Brent told me they flowed better than 8 other sets of heads he had from competing shops including his own and that they had a very small runner CC....

Joe couldve been $$$$$$$ if he would just stuck to porting with Tommy.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JS
Brent told me they flowed better than 8 other sets of heads he had from competing shops including his own and that they had a very small runner CC....

Joe couldve been $$$$$$$ if he would just stuck to porting with Tommy.
I forgot the exact numbers that Brent told me, but it was over 20cfm peak v.s. my FFHP's on the intake. I haven't even called Joe back, but I might tomorrow for the hell of it. Those heads would be so badass. Yeah, he could have been making a nice living. Kinda sad.