Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NY/CT guys, need ticket info/help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Tech Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NY/CT guys, need ticket info/help!

I am so pissed...

I drove down to NJ today to pick up my car from TTP, I was heading home on I684 in NY when a cop, traviling the oposit direction somehow got me on radar and made a U-turn, pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 83 in a 65. Then he gave me another ticket for Inadequate/No muffler.

Thing is, these arn't like any other ticket I've ever seen, they give me 2 choices:

A. Plead guilty, then the state of NY will give me an actual bill. I have no idea for how much.

B. Plead not guilty, go to court. (note, this cop was a real dick and i have no doubt that he would show up just to ruin my day.)

Now here are my questions:

1. How much are these tickets likely to cost me?
2. Will my CT insurance go up because of a NY ticket?
3. Is there any way to fight the Muffler ticket? (I have a cat-back on the car, i bought it that way. And i don't think the cop ever took out a Db metter.)

Please help me... i only have 48 hours (wtf?) to send in a response of not guilty.

Thanks- John
Old 02-04-2006, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

id say just pay it. it wont/shouldnt be notified to ur insurance,and do u really want to drive back down there to go to court? see how much it is first and see where u want to go with it. i got a speeding ticket in VT for 61 in a 45, which was bullshit, but i didnt fight it and just payed the 100 bucks and it has never shown up on my record. just my .02 cents
Old 02-04-2006, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Go to court and when you arrive (cop will be notified to appear) the cop will look to "work out a deal" with you.. like less points and/or lesser infraction.. in return for a plea of guilty. What jurisdiction/location/court on 684?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Would not be worth taking the time off work to me. I would just pay it.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Mr. B
What jurisdiction/location/court on 684?
Bedford Hills.

Yeah, I am probibly just going to pay it, I just really wish I had some idea of how much they were going to charge me.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
3. Is there any way to fight the Muffler ticket? (I have a cat-back on the car, i bought it that way. And i don't think the cop ever took out a Db metter.)
1. Dont know sorry.
2. They are required to report it. Who knows if they will are not. As for your insurance price thats up to your company.
3. I dont know how they handle out of State stuff but in CT you have to go to the DMV center and have it tested.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Launching!

I've gotten a few out of state speeding tickets, and none have ever affected my CT insurance. I've always found it more trouble than its worth to go and fight it.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:10 AM

My insurance never found out about my instate tickets, let alone the ones I got out of state.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

When I got a loud muffler ticket in NY (combined with 75 in a 55) I went to court 21 months later and the cop (different guy than the one who pulled me over) just asked if I got it fixed and I said yes. He dropped it, and that was the end of it. Though I did have a receipt from Midas from my other car (also a Pontiac Firebird at the time) I brought with me just in case and hoping he wouldn't notice the model year.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Resident

Thanks guys, I think I'll just pay the damn thing and get it over with, hopefully my insurance will never find out.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Launching!

i drive that road every day... they will give tickets for anything over 75 on 684.... it is nuts cause most people cruise at 85...

u were prob caught in a speed trap, they have really great hiding spots!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by gaga
i drive that road every day... they will give tickets for anything over 75 on 684.... it is nuts cause most people cruise at 85...

u were prob caught in a speed trap, they have really great hiding spots!
Whats funny is that my friend who gave me a ride down to NJ to pick up the camaro was in a rush to get back to CT before he had to go to work, He was doing 100-110mph on the same road! But I figured that I'd play it safe and let him get the ticket
Old 02-05-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Yes, your insurance in CT will go up.
CT does as do all states have a "Reciprocating Agreement"...
A ticket in "ANY" state will get back to you and "Bite you in the A$$"
Old 02-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr. B
Go to court and when you arrive (cop will be notified to appear) the cop will look to "work out a deal" with you.. like less points and/or lesser infraction.. in return for a plea of guilty. What jurisdiction/location/court on 684?
+1 never just pay it always go for the plea
Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
I am so pissed...

I drove down to NJ today to pick up my car from TTP, I was heading home on I684 in NY when a cop, traviling the oposit direction somehow got me on radar and made a U-turn, pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 83 in a 65. Then he gave me another ticket for Inadequate/No muffler.

Thing is, these arn't like any other ticket I've ever seen, they give me 2 choices:

A. Plead guilty, then the state of NY will give me an actual bill. I have no idea for how much.

B. Plead not guilty, go to court. (note, this cop was a real dick and i have no doubt that he would show up just to ruin my day.)

Now here are my questions:

Please help me... i only have 48 hours (wtf?) to send in a response of not guilty.

Thanks- John
The speeding ticket will cost you around 150-200$$, the muffler shouldnt be so much, you may be able to get that one dropped. If you dont want to go to court, check guilty on the back and mail it to the court and than they will send you a bill after the judge sets the fine. And yes your insurance will go up if the insurance company checks your record and the tickets appear on it. They ususally dont check your record though unless you are applying for a new policy or something like that.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:47 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I know that mass does not report tickets to CT, as I know a guy that got a DWI in mass, had to go to classes and whatnot in mass.. then about a year later, got one in CT ( I know, idiot ) and according to CT, that was his first offense. Dunno what NY does... but if there's a # on the ticket to call to put in the plea, I'd call it and ask the question. The speeding, that you are probably stuck with, but the muffler thing you can fight, unless he had a DB reading on the car, it's all speculation. Just make sure that if you take teh car to go to court, that you stuff s couple steel will pads up the tips or something to quiet it down a little LOL.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I know that NY does not have any agreements with neighboring states to transfer points from out of state infractions (suprsingly enough though they do have agreements with Ontario and Quebec, go figure). If you get a speeding ticket in CT, the NYS DMV will not give you any points. I can only assume the reverse is likely true. However I don't know if that means out of state infractions would fail to be noted by the insurance company.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say fight it,bring proof you fixed the muffler & try to get the speeding ticket reduced to a seat belt violation.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a checkmark for criminal? sounds like a criminal ticket to me. I would fight it unless you were really in the wrong and even then fight it they almost always knock it down.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got a 92 in a 65 up in MA last week. I could of just paid $270 and called it a day but **** that. I requested a hearing even though it won't effect my license/insurance. I say just request a hearing unless you have the money to pay for it.

Quick Reply: NY/CT guys, need ticket info/help!