Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any of u guys remove the rear heat shield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of u guys remove the rear heat shield?

The heat shield directly under the fuel tank was vibrating its *** off so i took it off, kinda worried about the tank heating up(plastic 99) anyone do this and not have problems? I might just get some dyna mat extreme with adhessive back and stick it up there for safety , but i did let the car run for 40 mins, and felt around the tank and it was not even warm, but just wanted to hear of the luck u guys had with doing this/
Thanks

Jeff
Old 02-25-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

i took mine off, then again i have TDs that dump at the axale so i have no probs.

-brandon
Old 02-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by H8Mac
The heat shield directly under the fuel tank was vibrating its *** off so i took it off, kinda worried about the tank heating up(plastic 99) anyone do this and not have problems? I might just get some dyna mat extreme with adhessive back and stick it up there for safety , but i did let the car run for 40 mins, and felt around the tank and it was not even warm, but just wanted to hear of the luck u guys had with doing this/
Thanks

Jeff
i was thinkin the same thing would like to kno if it would hurt. since i put my LM catback on it rattles like a ****
Old 02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I took the big one off under the gas tank, but left the small part that is right above the pipe that goes over the axle on. I have seen pictures of a gastake taht got melted there, even with teh ehat shield on, so any aftermarket setup needs to be checked there for clearance.

Taking the big one off most likly won't melt the tank, the only reason I have ever heard of not to take the heat shield off is that it will heat the gas tank up, heating the fuel, etc.etc and will also cause condensation to form in the tank. but, like you said, the tanek doesn't get warm with the car just sitting and idling when warm, so when you are driving, I don't see it happenign either.

Mine has been off for a long time, no problems.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Well its been a few days and no problems yet, Thanks for the replies guys, I still think there are things rattling, i have hooker longtubes and y pipe, with slp loud mouth, Just seems like this thing is so , f'n noisey with interior rattles, heatshields, and a very weird noise when i hit a bump coming from the left side front wheel, though i checked everything suspension related, i cant track it down! This is really frustrating makes the car sound like total ****. Getting to the point where i wanna get rid of it so i can have a RAttle free, nice sounding interior! Maybe a 6.0 GTO is in my future!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Race your car!

Sounds like the Y pipe is hitting something.. I'd get under the car and look for that. if there's not a 1/4 inch of clearance min.. it could be hitting. if your motor mounts and tranny mounts are worn, that will cause this as well... start teh car and pop the hood, and rev it, see if the motor moves alot. If it does, new mounts might fix the problem.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

All mounts are new and good from engine install about 6 months ago, but i will check the y pipe, if thats the case i will get a custom y pipe made by TYSON . The noise from the pas, side wheel has been there before the headers now that i think of it. By the way JL u from CT? i ws up there after the snow storm around17 th all your towns have slang names it sounds. LOL Gun WAvin NEW HAVEN>?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Race your car!

it's not that bad here.... there's good parts and bad parts like everywhere else. CT has the highest average price for a single family home in the country right now.. so it can't be that bad an area, if it was, who would be buying the houses? Or you could look at it another way, with that much $ in the state, the % of stuck up ******** has to be pinned.. which it is.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

ohh i know what u mean, it just seems no matter what, u have Rich kids watching BET trying to be rappers/gangsters...U know kind of like B-RAd style. Iam not trying to poke fun at CT i had a blast there in Waterbury, LOTS of drinking took place @ the Courtyard Marriott!