Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need to Atco Raceway Info regarding a convertible going <13.5secs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need to Atco Raceway Info regarding a convertible going <13.5secs

Hey guys,

I've only raced at Etown and last time I was there the guy was gonna end my day when I going under 13.5 secs with my car and no roll bar(I ran a 12.8 w/o the bottle). My 60' was garbage with a 2.2XX so its got more in it to get a better ET, granted I can drive it to that point. I had to let out towards the end of the track and work on my 60' times. Not that it wasnt fun, but I want to be able to run as fast as it will go. I'm looking to see what it will do with no bottle then with the bottle. I dont feel like spending the money to only go to the track maybe a few times a year. So the question is, does Atco follow the rules on this matter?

The guy at Etown told me that obviously bone stock cars that are verts are allowed to go as fast as they can, but once its modded it falls into a different set of rules.

-Brian
Old 07-20-2006, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm. so theat means I can break the viper out of my showroom and run under 11.49 and no cage?? dont think so...
Old 07-20-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

i hate e-town, and this a prime example why. i'll never go there unless i don't have to pay to run.

atco officials are cool, i guarantee they wont' bust your *****.

BOYCOTT E-TOWN!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

aight sounds like I'm heading to atco next time. Sucks because etown is only 20 min from my house. As for the new viper comment, the track official actually mentioned a car just like that but I still think its bull. Thanks for the info.

-Brian
Old 07-20-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

If your a convertable i do not think you can run faster than 13.49 at any track.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

theyre a PITA there. i was told i need a full face helmet if i ran lower than mid 13s i think it was. AHOLES.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

trash e-town if you want, but remember the safety rules are there for your safety and the safety of others. I just read another post where somebody turned the AC on because he was too hot sitting in the car waiting to run with the helmet on. Well if you ran right behind him and hit some of that water on the track and get sideways, you may wish you had a full face helmet, or worst a roll bar if you wreck it. Don't laugh, it can happen very easily.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mcamp001
trash e-town if you want, but remember the safety rules are there for your safety and the safety of others. I just read another post where somebody turned the AC on because he was too hot sitting in the car waiting to run with the helmet on. Well if you ran right behind him and hit some of that water on the track and get sideways, you may wish you had a full face helmet, or worst a roll bar if you wreck it. Don't laugh, it can happen very easily.

i saw them make someone get out of line for dripping water.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

guess i'll just have to sell the bird and get a viper...oh well i guess i'll make due with that
Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

nah, atco people are nice. im not sure how strict they will be about verts, but i know they dont check for blowdown tubes, and **** like that.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

rules are rules, etown has enough trouble with the residents always wanting to shut the track down for noise and stuff w/o having someone get really hurt cause the tech guy wasn't enforcing the safety regs. I like etown, if you can get your car to run good there it'll run good anywhere. Atco is too far for me to drive the racecar to.

If you're gonna boycott etown...wait till I buy a trailor!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

saftery rules are good and fine, but how are they actually going to expect to have any vert going faster than 13.49 have a cage? they are being ******** point blank, and i don't care what anybody says. SURE, if the car was running 11.70's they may break ***** but to be that strict is just how e-town is.

SCHENARIO-

this is also during a test and tune session, some guy/kid wants to take his car to the track to LEGALLY RACE it. he shows up at e-town. some kid say "30$" (or 25$ or whatever) at the gate- the guy pays and goes to tech. once he gets to tech the jitbag says "ah, you have a vert. no rollcage. well anything faster than 13.5 im gonna have to give you the boot".

if that were me i'd tell the guy that i want my $ back, since a goddam stock ******* ls1 can run faster than that.

atco= 13$ to race, cool officials, less strict but still enforce the NEEDED rules like people dripping on the track etc.. you just DON'T NEED to be ******** like e-town is. they treat test and tune like some big event, when people are just there trying to have fun.

sorry for the rant

but **** E-TOWN, BOYCOTT E-TOWN!!!! 25$ and you are LUCKY to get 3 runs. they stamp your card so you can't get more than 3 runs also- atco just runs as many people as there is time for.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

well consider this; E-town is the only local track to host a major NHRA event besides Maple Grove. If it were to shut down (no truth to this, not trying to start rumors here) because people were to boycott them because they actually enforce the NHRA rules, it would be a serious blow to the sport in general. I for one, don't want to see anything happen to this, and if they are a little more strict with the rules, so be it, as it is in my best interest anyway. I will still run here a couple times a year, but, I prefer to run at Atco over e-town mainly because of better track prep, and better DA. Yes the track officials overlook more then e-town, but how stupid are you goin to feel in your 12 second vert that snaps a driveshaft and runs into the car in the next lane possibly hurting someone?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

I'm not running any crazy times here and I'm not sure what a snapped driveshaft has to do with this? If your just refering to the tech inspection overlooking things which could lead to a disaster then I understand, otherwise I don't.

I honestly still had a good time at Etown on the day I went. I was able to crack open the cutout, and run 5 times before I called it quits (it wasnt really crowded). It was simply a minor rant that I just wanted to really see what the car is capable of. Racing on the street scares the crap outta me due to cops, people, or even an animal. Also, I would certainly rather crash at the track where a medical team is there in anticipation rather than the time it would take the paramedics to get to me if I was on the street.

Of course I would never want to crash and do value others lives as well as my own. I was looking for that little more fun. I'll have to try out Atco and see what happens. If I can't run the way I want to run and it bothers me enough....in will go a cage. Simple as that. Thanks for everyones responses.

-Brian
Old 07-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

atco is the best joe sway jr and kevin are good people good place to race and have fun better track also better prep no bull sh-- go to atco easy to get along with.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:22 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Wow... They might enforce the rules more strictly to help keep their insurance costs down and limit their lawsuit liabilities. I hate to think what kind of liability insurance the track carries but I'm sure it's NOT cheap.

From what I remember, NHRA changed the rules a year or two ago about how fast NEW cars can run with minimal bolt ons (but I think it's for either 2005 or 2006 models, since that's when the new NTHSB instituted the new federal crash ratings). The things that are allowed are items like headers, exhaust, minimal suspension, and drag radials.

I do believe that the NHRA rules mandate any vert running faster than 14.50s or 14.59 needs to have at least a roll bar. Personally, if you want to risk it, that's fine, but I wouldn't. If that's the worst crap that E-town gives you, then my word...at least you still have a place to go and run that isn't on the street.

Support your Local Tracks (even if they are national tracks) because who knows how long we'll be allowed to have them.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Etown is ok but it gets way too crowded over there. I like Atco alot better and it also has a long shutdown as well. Etown has a scale after you finish your run while Atco doesn't. In fact, I don't know where the scale is in Atco. One of those Tech officials at Etown is a real Ahole though, the older gentleman at Etown is pretty cool.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
hmmm. so theat means I can break the viper out of my showroom and run under 11.49 and no cage?? dont think so...
i saw a completely stock C6 Z go 11.20 and they bitched at him for no cage. (not that track but here in md)

Quick Reply: Need to Atco Raceway Info regarding a convertible going <13.5secs