Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone in the Coatesville, PA area (19320) that can turn off my VATS????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone in the Coatesville, PA area (19320) that can turn off my VATS????

Hey everyone. After much excitement...I tried to fire my swap last night. The motor is from a 99 Z28. The previous owner programmed out VATS before I took delievery of the car since I knew I wasnt going to need it. Well he wasnt positive that he had it tuned out all the way. He used HP Tuners to do it. I think he just changed one drop down menu..from what I remember.

Anyway the car fired right up, idled for 2 seconds, shut down. Did it again and again and etc etc etc... I can only assume VATS at this point.

Im willing to provide beer/soda, and some pizza to anyone that can come over with a laptop and give me a hand. Either Friday after 5pm...or Saturday BEFORE 5pm... If no one can help...Im going to send the PCM to Speartech after I get home from vacation.

If he did do it right...and there is something I have to do to the PCM wiring in addition to what he did..what exactly is it that I have to do? I searched for awhile just now and didnt really find anything good. Just some diagrams for the VATS bypass modules... but I dont know if I can even use them because I dont have all the wires that are in a 4th gen...

Let me know if anyone can help me out.. Thanks in advance!

Justin

267-205-9386.... can get me anytime. THANKS!!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only wire I see associated with VATS at the PCM is pin 30 on the RED connector. Its the VATS fuel enable. Is it as simple as grounding or giving power to this wire??? Or does this wire require some weird signal that you get from a bypass module.

Man it sound soooo sweet for like 2 seconds! haha. Open headers =

Justin
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok...well after my panic went away I thought about the VATS issue. ahha. First Im sorry for my newbie sounding pleading for someone to come help...and for the stupid VATS questions. I was just so worked up to haer the car run. I found the diagrams to make a VATS bypass module. Im going to pick up some parts at radio shack and build it this afternoon... Hopefully that takes care of it! Thanks!

justin
Old 08-18-2006, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually the VATS system won't let the motor crank over, much less start. If it has been programmed out there isn't anything else needed to do.

Matt
Old 08-18-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well VATS cant do anything about the motor cranking because Im using my 3rd gen starting circuit to crank it. However its doing the start for 2 seconds then shut off thing. So the only thing I could think of was VATS. I have good fuel pressure. Car fires right up no problem. I even got the throttle to blip once before it shut off. Its pretty consistant. Even though the previous owner "disabled" vats...Im not sure it was done correctly. He hadnt messed with that in HP TUners before...so we just took a stab at it. Im keeping my fingers crossed that thats all it is...

So im going to head to radio shack and pick up the ~$15 worth of parts to try a VATS bypass box. Should be ok. Ill also double check everything to make sure its plugged in and what not. But Im pretty sure it is...

Also...I need to hook up my check engine light and my ALDL connector so I can check for codes. Shouldnt be any because Im using everything that was in the 99 before I stripped it. Even the EVAP should be hooked up correctly.

Guess we'll see!!

Justin
Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15 bux to bypass? more like .15cents.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

??? are you referring to using resistors to bypass the VATS key?? That would be awsome except the motor and all is in an 87 Trans AM... So I couldnt do the resistor mod unfortunetly. My only options were to send teh PCM out to get VATS programmed out... or use a vats bypass module. Since both of those options require me to be patient and wait for parts...I decided to build my own

Justin
Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

GOT IT!!!!!! I built a VATS module using online instructions and about $15 in parts from radio shack. It didnt work when I wired it up like the directions said. I almost gave up on the car starting...and was starting to think it was another problem. Then I stopped using the directions and used my head. Went off of the little integrated circuit diagram instead. Tried it one last time. Fired right up! Sounded like the gates of hell just opened up in my driveway! Idled high for about 8 seconds, then settled right down into its normal snarl that it had before i removed it from the 99...

Im going to post the diagrams in a new thread over in the conversions forum... In case someone else ran into the same issue.

Damn its a good feelin!

Justin
Old 08-28-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i cant find your instructions anywhere. where did you post them? im going to have the same problem w/ the vats and have been wondering how to get around it.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man how's it going? I didnt post the diagram yet... I will though. Ill post the link to the page where I found the info...then Ill post my revised diagram. Ill try to do that today during my lunch break. If you need some help...shoot me an email or PM me and ill give you a hand.

Justin

jgindin20@hotmail.com