Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

looking for a good exhaust shop NH,MA area

Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a good exhaust shop NH,MA area

whats up guys. looking for a good place to get my exhaust finished up after the trans swap and header install. ive been looking at pics in the (i think) ls1 bolt on section of the under axle set up and wanted to go that route. we have got a hand full of Lou's up here but have never delt w/ them. woundering if anyone knows of anyone familiar w/ are cars. i dont mind traveling. my parents and friends live in the cape area which i drive to on the week ends anyways. i just want it done right and leave w/o scratches on my car. man i hate to give it to someone else to work on but w/o a lift and bending equip i dont have much of a choice lol.

thanks,
corey
Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

You and me both!!

I've been looking around for a GOOD exhaust shop for a while, and I don't mind traveling either. Just want a 3" stainless y-pipe made up, nothing too elaborate. The last place I called wanted $120 an hour for labor and they expected it to take 4-6 hours... ahh, it's a freaking metal pipe, not the god damn space shuttle!

Yah, $500 just for labor ... I'm making my own!

Sorry for the rant, just expect to be dissapointed in New England when it comes to **** like this. Very few GOOD people in this business, and everyone wants stupid money for what they do. God forbid you have a LT1, might as well have a STD... nobody will touch you!!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Houdini
You and me both!!
God forbid you have a LT1, might as well have a STD... nobody will touch you!!

lol i hear ya man. i could take it down the street to the meineke and have some yahoo jack my car up by the fender seams (already been done at the dealer grrrrrrrr) and make peanut butter welds everywhere. ive heard good things about the Lou's in plymouth MA but dont have any exp w/ them. hopefully someone will chime in.

corey
Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip's exhaust in plaistow NH check em out... the guy does limited jobs but does wonders

he raced in NHRA funny car for the past like 3 or 4 years... he knows his ****... and cheap too... look him up on yellow pages

or check out coastal customsin salisbury ma... they r good guys very helpful
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

the coastal customs looks promising. put that on the list of people to call. anyone else?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which headers/y pipe/cat back are you thinking about? The nice thing is all of them bolt up pretty easy unless you have something special in mind.

I have the Dynatech stainless headers with cat'd Y pipe and Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Both kits came with every clamp, nut, bolt, zip tie, etc & instructions needed to install it in my garage at home.

I even enjoyed installing it all.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by massls1guy
Which headers/y pipe/cat back are you thinking about? The nice thing is all of them bolt up pretty easy unless you have something special in mind.

I have the Dynatech stainless headers with cat'd Y pipe and Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Both kits came with every clamp, nut, bolt, zip tie, etc & instructions needed to install it in my garage at home.

I even enjoyed installing it all.
Im going to be installing QTP headers. everything im hearing about there y pipes have not been good. plus ive got my heart set on true duals like this:

looking for a good exhaust shop NH,MA area-p1010109.jpg
Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Omec
Im going to be installing QTP headers. everything im hearing about there y pipes have not been good. plus ive got my heart set on true duals like this:

Attachment 120221
That does look good. Not much ground clearance though. If you jack the back of the car up will the rear end come down on the exhaust pipes?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

from what i understand no. the people that have done it under the axle love it. and the people who havnt done it hate it lol. i think it looks nice if done right and cheaper which is always good. i realy dont want to try and get a "perfect fit" w/ TD over the axle. also keep in mind our mufflers hang almost as low as the diff does. there are some more pics over in the ls1 external section. there is a poll on it. some realy nice set ups and some so so. i tink it looks better on the TA becuase of the rear bumper cover. im pumped. just spent all my tax money on some parts and finishing the m6 install when the weather warms up a bit. there is an exhaust shop in Billerica MA that im going to be talking to soon. guy from work swears by them so will see. i wish i could remember the name of it. R&D exhaust maybe? not sure.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what i understand no. the people that have done it under the axle love it. and the people who havnt done it hate it lol. i think it looks nice if done right and cheaper which is always good. i realy dont want to try and get a "perfect fit" w/ TD over the axle. also keep in mind our mufflers hang almost as low as the diff does. there are some more pics over in the ls1 external section. there is a poll on it. some realy nice set ups and some so so. i tink it looks better on the TA becuase of the rear bumper cover. im pumped. just spent all my tax money on some parts and finishing the m6 install when the weather warms up a bit. there is an exhaust shop in Billerica MA that im going to be talking to soon. guy from work swears by them so will see. i wish i could remember the name of it. R&D exhaust maybe? not sure.
Sounds like you did your homework and have a good plan. Make sure you post a video after you get it done, I want to hear those duals.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've installed,driven ect. under the axle duals. I would never do that to my personal car.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i know keith knows of a good exhaust shop in mendon, ma.

keith?????
Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats up guys. looking for a good place to get my exhaust finished up after the trans swap and header install. ive been looking at pics in the (i think) ls1 bolt on section of the under axle set up and wanted to go that route. we have got a hand full of Lou's up here but have never delt w/ them. woundering if anyone knows of anyone familiar w/ are cars. i dont mind traveling. my parents and friends live in the cape area which i drive to on the week ends anyways. i just want it done right and leave w/o scratches on my car. man i hate to give it to someone else to work on but w/o a lift and bending equip i dont have much of a choice lol.

thanks,
corey
Not a fan of under the axle systems. Maybe look into a custom PHB (I think UMI makes one) and go over the axle.

As far as finding a shop, maybe there is a Lou's Custom Exhaust in your area. I had a cut out installed at the Lou's in Waltham. They did a decent job, but it cost ~$100. a little steep in my book.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Slowhawk, what dont you like about it? you have seen more set ups then most so your input would be great. i could get that relocation bar and have thought about it but its alittle over $200. then id have to find a shop around here willing to do it. lord only knows if it will look decent. im def not ruling it out though. gonna talk to a few shops in the area including that Billerica shop. The Lou's shops kinda scare me know. they are pretty big now (having 3 with in a 20 mi of me) and im not sure if they are just a glorified midas. I havnt heard any good stories yet. The plymouth one seems legit and is the only one w/ their own web site. dont know. this is going to be the hardest part of this whole project (and there is alot to it lol). of course it would be easier if someone has had work done before somewhere . cant have everything i knoooooow.

PS: Slowhawk, do you do any custom exhaust work? i need to have you tune me after its put back together anyways. ill just run open headers down .
Old 02-17-2008, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most people here will gain 0 hp over a single 3" exhaust that won't bang the floor ect.If you want a loud dual sound just get a SLP loudmouth 2. A good over the axle dual costs alot of $$. If you want a dual for power then have them dump under the car before the axle.

I can do a custom dual but it will be very expensive due to the time it takes and material. Lou's exhaust doesn't use manderal benders from what I've seen.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
i know keith knows of a good exhaust shop in mendon, ma.

keith?????
great guy but no mandrel bends and super expensive if you were to go true duals (i asked when i first got my car, but over the axle)

as for the y-pipe thatd wouldnt be to bad for him to do and cheaper then 120 an hr just again not mandrel bent.

as don stated it wont gain you anything other than agravation anyway. if you need true duals just go dumps before the axle .
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Attachment 120221
heres an idea get kooks instead of qtps and then use kooks ypipe which is the best fitting out there

did you get the qtp's used?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
heres an idea get kooks instead of qtps and then use kooks ypipe which is the best fitting out there

did you get the qtp's used?

I just got my QTP's today (they are new). they look friggin sweet. kooks were out of my price range unforch. im still tossing up the idea of either y-pipe or under axle TD's. there is another thred over in the gen 3 section started by H/C/I Stang about his TD dumps turned into and under axle set up. it looks mint and sounds good too. the thunder racing dumped TD's would look stupid on my T/A. it would be ok on a formy but not a WS6. if i get a y-pipe im gonna have to get that made up and then buy a magnaflow CB w/ quad tips. thats $600+ just for the cat back. so i dont know. im not sure yet. the way this weathers going though it doesnt look like it will be able to get done untill april .
Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just dump the duals's it isnt that bad just put turnouts on em
Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me, I'd just get a quality Y-pipe and a catback and install it myself.

If you are still looking for an exhaust place there is a place at the end of John Fitch Hwy in Fitchburg. Guy's name is Mario and is actually just a few hundred yards from a Lou's, LOL, but he was there 1st.

He did a custom dual exhaust on my buddies truck and it came out good. Otherwise there is another shop I highly recommend, actually the only other shop to touch my car other than Don, that is also in fitchburg. I don't think they bend pipes, but they might be able to do an exhaust for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking for a good exhaust shop NH,MA area