LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Eastern Members (https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members-56/)
-   -   Quick PA inspection question (https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members/722691-quick-pa-inspection-question.html)

motoo344 05-29-2007 01:32 PM

Quick PA inspection question

Hey, Im sure this has been asked 1000 times, but Ive been searching through threads about LTS all day before I decide what headers Im going to purchase. I think Im going to go with the lt/ypipe package from tsp. I wanna remove the EGR/AIR system and I figure Ill just get the headers without the EGR tubes and the y pipe with no cats. Im under the impression that with the codes tuned out I will pass and if they do visual I could always just get cats then. Should I go this way or just get stuff with the egr fittings, I really wanted to get rid of those and run without cats.

Thanks guys!

jimmy 2 Times 05-29-2007 01:36 PM

I had not problem passing in montgomery county with no AIR, or cats

Fibbado 05-29-2007 01:55 PM

With the codes tuned out your are fine. The OBDII hookup we do just checks the emissions system monitor readiness status. As long as you have a muffler and your car isn't puking out unburnt fuel, smoke, etc. You should be fine. There isn't much of a visual inspection in PA, most often techs run the EI test before even checking out the car then check it out for SI.

As far as the AIR/EGR removed, most techs aren't super familiar with every car so they don't know that your car ever even had that stuff.

motoo344 05-29-2007 02:45 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, I figured that was the case, but I wanted to make sure before investing in my first mods.

Zger 05-29-2007 02:53 PM

They don't even open your hood in Bucks county if your car is OBD2 (96 & newer for GM).

N2OGTO 05-29-2007 03:41 PM

Just make sure you have no codes and you go to the right place...Some hole in the wall is the best place to do it...I wouldn't worry about no cats as long as you're not doing a safety inspection the same day...And i doubt they'll even know there's supposed to be AIR or EGR...

you should be fine

dangalla 05-29-2007 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fibbado
With the codes tuned out your are fine. The OBDII hookup we do just checks the emissions system monitor readiness status. As long as you have a muffler and your car isn't puking out unburnt fuel, smoke, etc. You should be fine. There isn't much of a visual inspection in PA, most often techs run the EI test before even checking out the car then check it out for SI.

As far as the AIR/EGR removed, most techs aren't super familiar with every car so they don't know that your car ever even had that stuff.

dont listen to these guys

unless you know someone or the mechanic is an idiot you will not pass.

the reason why most techs do the ei test first is because that is how we have to do it legaly.

how can you say there is not much of a visual, thats a very big part of the inspection, weather your in an emmisions county or not, if your not in an emmisions county its part of the state insp, if you pass you will be very lucky

motoo344 05-29-2007 04:50 PM

Hmm, well thats interesting.

mrhzk35404 05-29-2007 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla

unless you know someone or the mechanic is an idiot you will not pass.

the reason why most techs do the ei test first is because that is how we have to do it legaly.

how can you say there is not much of a visual, thats a very big part of the inspection, weather your in an emmisions county or not, if your not in an emmisions county its part of the state insp, if you pass you will be very lucky

:stupid:

motoo344 05-29-2007 10:12 PM

Well this makes it a more difficult choice then.

Fibbado 05-29-2007 10:52 PM

Yeah don't listen to me, even though I have my Safety Inspection and Emissions Inspection license. Really what do I know? :gtfo:

cknhwk 05-30-2007 04:51 AM

used the best....

Originally Posted by motoo344
Well this makes it a more difficult choice then.

thats a very in portnnnnnn mod yo..
go to kooks headers an y pipe...
lots of torg an h/p... uuu will like it warrrrior...

N2OGTO 05-30-2007 11:50 AM

Yeah don't listen to me, even though I have my Safety Inspection and Emissions Inspection license. Really what do I know? :gtfo:

I think what you just said is that you openly admitted that you were a retard...Or a half assed inspector, either way...I don't think the state would like to see this...

I also forgot which county we were talking about here, much more strict than I originally thought...

But to the original poster, i wouldn't worry about it...I'd rather have that shit off my car...Just go to an asshat like that guy and he'll just write you a sticker

JohnnyC 05-30-2007 12:01 PM

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/test.htm

They will not even open your hood if you are 1996 or newer and require an emissions sticker (as long as you are not throwing codes). They just do an OBD and gas cap check.

The Alchemist 05-30-2007 12:50 PM

So, considering I have 3700 miles on my car since last inspection and I'm due in July, I should be able to just roll up to any station and get an excemption sticker??? Sweet.

dangalla 05-30-2007 04:10 PM

obviously not very much, i also have both my safety and emmisions, big deal got those before i got out of school

in your first post u said "most techs usually do the emmisions first", well if you paid attention in your inspection class you would know thats because that is the way we have to do it.

you are right about not opening the hood for 96 and up, but what about the safety insp, part of that insp is a visual for emmisions equipment, wether you go the same day for both or not they are still going to check the emmisions equipment during the safety, unless like i said in the first post you know someone or you find yourself a complete idiot, hey, maybe you should just tell the poster where you work

motoo344 05-30-2007 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/test.htm

They will not even open your hood if you are 1996 or newer and require an emissions sticker (as long as you are not throwing codes). They just do an OBD and gas cap check.

Thanks for that link, thats what I figured.

Fibbado 05-30-2007 08:36 PM

obviously not very much, i also have both my safety and emmisions, big deal got those before i got out of school

in your first post u said "most techs usually do the emmisions first", well if you paid attention in your inspection class you would know thats because that is the way we have to do it.

The tech can do the "inspections" in whatever order they please they just can't write the SI sticker until the car passes EI. However most techs pull the car in, plug in the ODBII hookup, test the gas cap then the car, write the sticker then do the SI. However I would occasionally look the car over for SI, then do the EI, then write the SI.

I am very anal about the safety inspection, there is an white LS1 Z28 with black racing stripes rolling around D-town that knows that all too well, I failed him for a lot of shit. I just look the other way for certain emissions things. For instance if the car smells of gas or is putting out smoke I fail it. If it is just the normal LT/ORY/Catback setup or LT/TD's seup and it is properly done I look the other way. I don't feel to bad about it because I am much more thorough on the safety inspection then a lot of techs, I sleep just find at night knowing I never let an unsafe car out on the road.

A buddy of mine ran his LS1 car on the EI dyno with no cats to see its output and it put out less shit than a 92 toyota pickup with cats.

JohnnyC 05-30-2007 11:15 PM

I can't find anything in the safety inspection about cats. It just talks about the routing of the exhaust and that you have to have a muffler of some kind. :secret:

The Alchemist 05-31-2007 06:49 AM

So what's involved with the safety inspection, just out of curiousity.