Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone near Philly want to change a drivers side window motor today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone near Philly want to change a drivers side window motor today?

I am incompetant when it comes to doing this kinda stuff, figured I'd throw a call out there for help. My window decided to stay down this morning when I got to work, figure the motor went. I'm sure the dealer is gonna want to rape me on the install price. Anyone out there near Philly with the no how and the day off? There is NO shot of me doing this on my own, I will find a way to **** it up for sure.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just talked to the dealer not even sure if it's the motor, only because it just STOPPED working. The motors usually slow down and then stop working right? Today I put the window down and it stayed stuck down. They think it could be a regulator or a belt? WTF
Old 06-08-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in philly and am on my summer break, but I don't have the experiance of fixing something like that.

Is the motor making it's noise? If not, then that sounds electrical. Like a fuse(but that usually covers a few things, like all the windows not just one) or a wire.

What part of Philaledelphia are you near?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it sounds like the motor, I just got back from Tampa and half way back my motor crapped out going down and didn't make any noise. The window was half way down, but would go back up. I would help ya out man but I'm stationed in NC. A good way to guarentee that it is the motor is to take the connecter from the window motor and check for 12v on the up and down wires to the motor. If you do buy one, DO NOT get the motor from a dealer, go to Autozone or Advanced and get one there. It's alot cheaper, but there are rivets to be removed to get the motor out. I don't want to be negative but those rivets where a pain in the ****.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Could be a dead spot in the motor. Open the door, and with the key on for power, hold the window button in the "up" position, and shut the door firmly. See if that gets it going enough to move your window up. I can't tell you how many times this has worked for me.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the suggestions....I forgot that my brother in law is in mechanic school and with the sticky guide he said he will be able to repair the motor....if that's broken. I have had them go before but it usually was a slow decline, it never just stopped working like this
Old 06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
Could be a dead spot in the motor. Open the door, and with the key on for power, hold the window button in the "up" position, and shut the door firmly. See if that gets it going enough to move your window up. I can't tell you how many times this has worked for me.

Tried no luck for me!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
No it sounds like the motor, I just got back from Tampa and half way back my motor crapped out going down and didn't make any noise. The window was half way down, but would go back up. I would help ya out man but I'm stationed in NC. A good way to guarentee that it is the motor is to take the connecter from the window motor and check for 12v on the up and down wires to the motor. If you do buy one, DO NOT get the motor from a dealer, go to Autozone or Advanced and get one there. It's alot cheaper, but there are rivets to be removed to get the motor out. I don't want to be negative but those rivets where a pain in the ****.

That's how to make absolute sure it's the motor and not something else?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

i changed my window motor using the guide, wasnt too hard. if you want, i'll meet up with you and help you do it... but i dont want to deal with the frustration again, haha.

(i drilled out the rivets, theres another way though)
Old 06-08-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Pretty close to philly.
I am in Doylestown, I could help you out. I did both on my car. Let me know with a PM
Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Banned

Hey man if you didnt get it done yet let me know i can do it this week if you want.... give me a call if you still have my number....

Fran
Old 06-09-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

If power is getting to the motor fine, then that's the only thing it can be. Just make sure it's 12volts ( I believe) on the up and down wires to the window motor. I work on aircraft wiring and avionics ( I know I'm a dork). I troubleshoot this kinda stuff everyday, it's like solving puzzles I still think it's the motor from what you've said though. I've had my driver's side go out twice so far. Got my fingers crossed on the passenger side.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If power is getting to the motor fine, then that's the only thing it can be. Just make sure it's 12volts ( I believe) on the up and down wires to the window motor. I work on aircraft wiring and avionics ( I know I'm a dork). I troubleshoot this kinda stuff everyday, it's like solving puzzles I still think it's the motor from what you've said though. I've had my driver's side go out twice so far. Got my fingers crossed on the passenger side.

My brother in law did a quick check on the power but only at the switch. There is power going to the switch, but it still won't operate. He only took the smaller panel off the door right where all the buttons are. Didn't tear the door apart yet. Would that indicate teh motor if power is getting to the switch?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just means you have power atleast to the switch, the only thing that is really left is the wiring from the the switch to the motor, the connecter to the motor, and the motor it's self. You could still be getting power to the motor but the motor may not be any good. The first time I replaced the motor it had just about the same symptoms your explaining. The one I just replaced last weekend would go up but would make a grinding clicking noise when I wanted it to go down.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picked up a new motor today, hopefully swap it out tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everything go well?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everything go well?

yep
the kid is good, never worked on an LS1 before and he knocked it out in 1hour without instructions. Found my new mechanic,those heads might go on sooner than later now that labor is free. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions