Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

JL+Gary@MIR?

Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL+Gary@MIR?

Has anyone heard how JL & Gary made out @ MIR today?

-Ken
Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

JL got picked for final 16 out of 300 to 400 cars
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

SWEET! Congrats Jay!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nice! when is this episode on tv?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OSR 1
JL got picked for final 16 out of 300 to 400 cars

I didnt see him up there. I got picked in top 14 but lost in first round to theblue s10.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I didn't go up... because I left to go home unfortunately. When I was pulling up to make the 2nd qualifying pass ( rich flagging the cars ) during the burnout the emmissions fitting blew off the drivers side header... put an end to my day. I'm really not all too happy about the whole thing... I fgured that after not making the 2nd run that I would be out of the realm of consideration, but I guess not. I probably could have had the track announcer ask over the loudspeaker if anyone had a tig welder to patch the hole, but I didn't even think of it until I was on the way home already. The worst part is that I had the fitting on the passengers side header blow off a month or so ago, and had that one patched up..... and while the guy was doing it I was thinking I should have him just cut the other one off and weld a patch plate over that one too... but I didn't want to bother him he was doing me a favor at 7:30PM on a tuesday night as it was.

Car was running DEAD on consistant too, 10.986 and a 10.990 on friday night, 10.983 on saturday for the first pass of qualifying all off the footbrake too..... I can only imagine that is why they picked my car.

If there's ever another chance to go to an event like this, I would do it in a heartbeat without a doubt.. it was a TON of fun. But, the next time I go to something like this, I'm gonna for sure do what I have to do to get my car back running if something happens.... it's gonna eat away at me like a **** that I didn't ask around of someone coudl give me a hand getting it fixed, there was a bunch of pro-mod guys there and I guarintee that they probably had welders and ****, hell anyone with a 275K + renegade setup probably has 1/2 a fab shop in the truck in case stuff liek this happens.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that JL. Looks like I might have been in the mix if I had the time off to go. What was the class break down? Thats like twice that I know of that they took mid to high 10 sec. cars
Old 06-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Race your car!

I think the class was a 10.8 class, but they picked a bunch of 10.9 cars to race for the final 2 spots, that is what I was picked to do. Sucks because as the air cooled off that night I'm sure I could have pulled a 10.8x run off, and I was actually getting good by the 3rd run with the pro tree, I had the reaction time down to a .1xx, not great but WAY better then I thought I'd do, especially off a footbrake.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry things didn't work out but I'm glad you had fun. You should be very proud of getting to the final 16!

-Ken
Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

Good job man. .1 off a footbrake on a pro tree is VERY good.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Race your car!

I'm really happy about getting picked... I mean getting picked out of the 400 cars is awesome, especially when you consider I never even got a chance to run my 2nd round qualifying pass... I mean they picked my car based off the pratice runs on friday and the one run on saturday. Hopefully they will show the ar going down the track on the first run anyway, then they can make me look like a fool for not coming up at the end LOL.

I do think I will be looking for some bracket races that don't allow electronics in the future, I think with working on my reaction time and getting the car to leave just a little better/more consistant, and a touch of weight out to make it easier on parts (removing hvac stuff) the car might be awesone for that. I never thought that it would be something I could wint any $ with, but with consistancey like it has, even in insane HOT weather like it was I might have something here.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a hard way to have to leave.You would ratther be put on the trailer by another car not a track Gremlin. I seem to have track Gremlins all the time ,it sucks. There will be more All out's down the road and you will be better prepared next time. Is'nt there one going to NED? I always seem to find out about these things late and it's full by the time I sign up. Cheer up , there will be other tapings .
Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 AM
9 Second Club

Congrats man, sucks about the fitting, but you made it farther than a couple hundred other cars. And thats dead on consistant for leaving on the foot brake. You've got to get that thing in some bracket classes, if the car keeps running like that you'll be bringing home trophies every weekend.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Race your car!

I just need to work on teh reaction times... once I have that down and consistant, I think you might be right Tim. Still have a few more things to sort out with the car, but it has come ALONG way.

I just put the car in the garage, found the fitting and blockoff plate... anyone want to buy a blockoff plate LOL.... that and the fitting only cost me a potential of 10 grand, it's got to be worth something
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
thats a hard way to have to leave.You would ratther be put on the trailer by another car not a track Gremlin. I seem to have track Gremlins all the time ,it sucks. There will be more All out's down the road and you will be better prepared next time. Is'nt there one going to NED? I always seem to find out about these things late and it's full by the time I sign up. Cheer up , there will be other tapings .

I agree... beign put on the trailer by another racer, that I can take and the ride home isn't too bad, but the ride home yesterday was brutal... this will eat at me for a while.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

but the ride home yesterday was brutal...

Thats because of the little truck and the short wheelbase

Anyways, thats awesome that your car is so damn consistent.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Race your car!

No, actually the truck does great, no issues with that... more mentally draining then anything.... especially finding out afterwards that I could have won the $..... it's a real
Old 06-10-2007, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

If you were the one of the 10 that got pick to race for the final to spots, it was off of reaction time of RICH's arm drop. I was the guy that came over as you were pulling up to the trailer after 2nd run attempt. Nice car. I never had that many camaras in my face before, fun stuff.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Race your car!

That's what I was told, I was picked to run off for the last 2 spots. Wish I stuck around, tried to find someone to patch that header up...... really wish I had, and will be for a lifetime.

Won't happen ever again though, next race I do I'll have hose clamps, chunks of metal, hammers to form it if need be, bolts, hell every damn thing I can come up with. I may even pull the top 1/2 of my toolbox and put that in the truck, so I realyl have everything I could need.

It's an experience that I've learned from, and will be better for it.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Launching!

I got picked for the top 16 too. I was the only girl (as usual). I got taken out in the first round but it was an honor to be picked in the first place. The day could have been a little cooler. I thougt I was going to heat stroke in the staging lanes. Between the heat and the nerves, the day got the best of me. We got home at 3:00 AM and I just woke up. Congrats to the other f-bodies that got picked. It would have been nice to have a Camaro and a Trans Am in the finals but oh well. It was the best day of my racing life and I would do it again in a heartbeat! I had tons of problems with the car all week: Tuesday: tranny seal blew and pump went. Friday: picked up car at shop and took to Capitol. Friday night: Ran an 18 second pass because nitrous system failed and I lost 1st gear. Friday night: Took car back to shop and they pulled an all nighter to fix it. I am normally a high nine to low ten second car but we lowered the shot because I didn't want to get booted for not having a license or chassis cert. Big thanks to Chad @ Nitemare Motorsports and D&M Auto for hooking me up with new parts and putting in a lot of time to get the car back up and running.

Search this Thread