Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

My Neigbor Left Me A Nice Letter About My Exhaust Lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ignore them. If they call the cops, TRUST me you will lose. Just take it as easy as you can when you're coming or going.

Last edited by waldershrek; 01-23-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem with my neighbors after i went loudmouth, looks like qtp cut out it is... along with my headers and loudmouth lol... **** em!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep it cool NJ has a 95db noise limit and im sure your over that. It carries up to a $3000.00 fine. Plus removal of cats is a fine of $5000.00 each so bascily fines are way more then your car is worth. Im sure you don't want to bring that to your door. If I was you id run a borla best exhaust you can go from mild to wild in seconds. Good luck with whatever you do.

George
Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

I agree that you should play it cool. Although that letter was written poorly and in poor taste (who types in all caps!?!), I don't think you should try to spite the neighbors. A call to the cops can be costly.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder how many people who are supporting this guy A: have kids, especially younger ones, B: own their own home?

Now don't get me wrong, I have long tubes, off-road y-pipe and a magnaflow exhaust, but I don't daily drive the car, and on the rare occasions that I take it to work in the morning, I crawl at 1000rpm out of the neighborhood.

To those claiming it's his right to have a loud car, well his rights only go as far as till they infringe on other's rights. If you wake up my son at 1am because you come rolling into the neighborhood because you can't put a muffler on your car, I'm gonna be pissed.

Also, good neighbors are a good thing to have. If I was your neighbor, I'd pull up a lawn chair and grab a beer and watch your car or house burn to the ground before I'd call for help.

It's not about 'the angry soccer mom' bitching and moaning, it's about playing nice and respecting the people around you.

And maybe you're neighbors thought it was the best thing to approach you this way and avoid confrontation.

Try and cool off a little, get some money together and buy a catback and electric cutout and make some friends out of your neighbors. Good neighbors are better than good family sometimes. Your neighbors live next to you 24/7, your family doesn't.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand how you feel, but that letter could have been a lot worse. There are people out there that are very sensitive to noise and it's reasonable to see their side of the issue. Some car guys have no regard for other people and think that their car is not a problem - if it's affecting your relationships with your neighbors, then you might need to rethink things a little.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I have long tubes, off-road y-pipe and a magnaflow exhaust
How does the Magnaflow catback do at keeping that setup down to a tolerable volume?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Formula413
How does the Magnaflow catback do at keeping that setup down to a tolerable volume?

It's actually pretty good. If I keep the throttle below 25% and rpms below 3000rpm, it's actually really tame and mellow in my mind.

But whack the throttle, and let the rpms rise and it sounds great.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is nothing, i got a ticket last weekend in my 97 LT1 car, no lie it literally has a replacement muffler that i got at auto zone and just regular auto part store exhaust pipe, factory size..factory y pipe, factory manifolds and cats...haha, this car is quiet as a mouse....a cop in town gave me excessive noice from exhaust, 50 bucks. I went off on the cop and asked for a decibal reading, which he didnt have equiptment to test. he told me it was louder than stock and that is illegal. i asked him about the harleys in town an the diesel pickups here are ridiculous, he said its not my problem, have a nice day. i was furious, i took pics and it is going for inspection this week so i can fight it in court
Old 01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
this is nothing, i got a ticket last weekend in my 97 LT1 car, no lie it literally has a replacement muffler that i got at auto zone and just regular auto part store exhaust pipe, factory size..factory y pipe, factory manifolds and cats...haha, this car is quiet as a mouse....a cop in town gave me excessive noice from exhaust, 50 bucks. I went off on the cop and asked for a decibal reading, which he didnt have equiptment to test. he told me it was louder than stock and that is illegal. i asked him about the harleys in town an the diesel pickups here are ridiculous, he said its not my problem, have a nice day. i was furious, i took pics and it is going for inspection this week so i can fight it in court
Damn, that sucks. Good luck fighting it though. Hearing stories like that makes me worry about getting a catback for my car. I want to get a Magnaflow for it but I don't want tickets. I have heard that exhaust is a moving violation too.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Ah brutal man. I have some neighbors that just moved because my street is too loud. My buddies are always over 5.0 mustangs, loud trucks an what not. I personally have LM1 an come home late all the time.

Ive had the cops show up at my house, but for my brothers CRF450 with a chopped pipe rippin down the street.

Oh an i have a cop who lives RIGHT across from me. He loves it.

Guess i got lucky.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Looks like its time for a line lock, John Force, my d!ck is bigger than yours burn out.

Let 'em have it.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Theres not much you can do but take it easy. It sucks but if they get enough complaints theyll have a cop sittin around just waiting for you. In my parents neighborhood there was a guy with a first gen race car. Loud as hell and always revving it trying to tune it. During the day though and usually on weekends. He did it for years until he got rid of it. And its a fairly packed neighborhood.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say Ignore him. I take it you consider your neighbor harmless Just simply write down the date, keep the letter in case things get dirty and he no longer is in the harmless category.

No point in interacting with a person (your neighbor) who wants to act important/be noticed just to make feel better about his miserable existence. Any interaction will further stoke his fire, even seemingly amicable ones.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I think you guys are looking at this wrong. Instead of having a confrontation, they wrote a letter, that may or may not have been worded as well as it could have been, but they still made the effort to try and resolve this and give the kid fair warning.

It's better than him having the cops show up at his door without any warning, and the kid getting a pretty hefty fine for having an illegal exhaust.

I'd consider yourself lucky that they were nice enough to have given you the chance to change the exhaust before calling the cops, because I can gaurantee that if they went as far as to write you a letter, the call to the police won't be far behind.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 07BlueDevilZ06
Keep it cool NJ has a 95db noise limit and im sure your over that. It carries up to a $3000.00 fine. Plus removal of cats is a fine of $5000.00 each so bascily fines are way more then your car is worth. Im sure you don't want to bring that to your door. If I was you id run a borla best exhaust you can go from mild to wild in seconds. Good luck with whatever you do.
Now don't get me wrong, I have long tubes, off-road y-pipe and a magnaflow exhaust, but I don't daily drive the car, and on the rare occasions that I take it to work in the morning, I crawl at 1000rpm out of the neighborhood.
To those claiming it's his right to have a loud car, well his rights only go as far as till they infringe on other's rights. If you wake up my son at 1am because you come rolling into the neighborhood because you can't put a muffler on your car, I'm gonna be pissed.
Also, good neighbors are a good thing to have. If I was your neighbor, I'd pull up a lawn chair and grab a beer and watch your car or house burn to the ground before I'd call for help.
It's not about 'the angry soccer mom' bitching and moaning, it's about playing nice and respecting the people around you.
And maybe you're neighbors thought it was the best thing to approach you this way and avoid confrontation.
Try and cool off a little, get some money together and buy a catback and electric cutout and make some friends out of your neighbors. Good neighbors are better than good family sometimes. Your neighbors live next to you 24/7, your family doesn't.
Originally Posted by 99Andrew
I can understand how you feel, but that letter could have been a lot worse. There are people out there that are very sensitive to noise and it's reasonable to see their side of the issue. Some car guys have no regard for other people and think that their car is not a problem - if it's affecting your relationships with your neighbors, then you might need to rethink things a little.
I think you guys are looking at this wrong. Instead of having a confrontation, they wrote a letter, that may or may not have been worded as well as it could have been, but they still made the effort to try and resolve this and give the kid fair warning.
It's better than him having the cops show up at his door without any warning, and the kid getting a pretty hefty fine for having an illegal exhaust.
I'd consider yourself lucky that they were nice enough to have given you the chance to change the exhaust before calling the cops, because I can gaurantee that if they went as far as to write you a letter, the call to the police won't be far behind.
Very good points as well.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think you should have a F-Body meet at your house...!!! Loud exhaust for the win.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 07BlueDevilZ06

George

Funny thread, but I would listen to George.

Believe it or not I have the quiet car on my street, other two louder cars, big block nova that shakes the ground, and a z28 with exhaust.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

dude..you have LT's....an ORY...and a LM1 with a cam.

seriously...just put catback on. Could they have been better about the note..yea sure...but take a step back and look at the grand scheme of things
Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Launching!

lol i am really getting the idea of how loud it is when i r ip it on the highways 1 mile from my house and y friends call me and ask me if i was on the highway haha im looking but its just a huge pain in hte *** now to swap all the **** out of my exhaust and wait for new **** to come in and sell this **** its just a huge hassle about something i would never have to change again but what cat back would you recomend