Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Belated Big thanks to Slowhawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Belated Big thanks to Slowhawk

Thanks Don for the perfect tune and helping me spec the perfect cam for my application. Finally got a good trans out of performabutt on the third try and got the car to the track last night. All of the lockup issues I was having are gone and the car ran a couple of 11.8s at 117 with crappy 1.89 60 foots due to lousy track conditions. I also let out of the throttle because the car was swaying back and forth like crazy at the top end.

Any way the car runs and drives like stock still pulls over 20 mpg on the hwy and will pull nice and smooth at 12-1300 rpms with the verter locked up with no chugging or bucking. Cold starts, hot starts no problems. Anyone looking for a perfect daily driver old man cam I haghly recommend it. very docile and pulls hard to the 7k rev limiter.

Don put up with all my BS due to the problems I was having with junk trannys and I probably brought the car back to him to try to fix problems that werent his tune at least 5 times when it was the trans the whole time. He never once told me to go f myself even when he should have. He also put in extra time at the track to make sure the car would run the best it could with those crippled trannys.

Slowhawk is the man
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Props to ya!!! and Don!! nice times looks like it will be a fun year at the track for alot of us!!!! congrats on the 11 sec club too!!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome man!!! I am very happy for you.

Your issues parallel mine and so I know exactly where you are coming from. Just like you, Don always was willing to tweak my tune and never once complained. He must of retuned my car 6 times one day at the track last summer. Before my tranny issues my car ran like a champ, 20+mpg and mid 11's. I think this year I will be ok as well and hopefully will only need one quick tune for a shift point and gear swap , maybe a A/F check on the roller's. Don has met me at the track and always opened up his home/garage to anybody he's worked a project for.

454mag, you running stock heads/intake? What converter? Those are impressive times for cam only w/ that 60"! Sounds like the tranny is doing what it should.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Thanks Derek and Danno

Heads are the $995 patriot stage 1 243s with stock valves and the cam is a 224 228 114+4 XER with an ls6 intake and 42lb svo injectors. Running the 4k performabutt stall that they gave me to replace the Vig 3600 their pos tranny fried. It is one of those cheapo 4cyl ones with the adapter ring welded to it. It feels tighter than the 3600 fuddle I had in the car previously. Nice for a daily driver but disappointing for a 4 k stall. I had the vig restalled to a 4k and may try that in the future but after pulling the trans 4 separate times last summer I will probably leave it until it breaks.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 454mag
Thanks Derek and Danno

Heads are the $995 patriot stage 1 243s with stock valves and the cam is a 224 228 114+4 XER with an ls6 intake and 42lb svo injectors. Running the 4k performabutt stall that they gave me to replace the Vig 3600 their pos tranny fried. It is one of those cheapo 4cyl ones with the adapter ring welded to it. It feels tighter than the 3600 fuddle I had in the car previously. Nice for a daily driver but disappointing for a 4 k stall. I had the vig restalled to a 4k and may try that in the future but after pulling the trans 4 separate times last summer I will probably leave it until it breaks.
LOL, I got the same stall. Those are some good times with your setup.

Part of your 60" problem is that stall. it's only a 1.69 str. I want to put in a Yank PT series myself, but like you I am tired of swapping trannies and working on em', so i might wait and see if the bigger gears help a little. It does trap a higher mph though than my last stall.

Knowing me I'll swap the converter later this summer if I come across a good deal, or I might have TCI see if they can rebuild my old one.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow don seems like the man lol... congrats on working everything out, im glad we have genuine good technitions around our area, i've read about some horror stories in other areas...

wed NED was crappy? the weather was good wasnt it? weird
Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Launching!

weather was good. The toyota 4x4 in front of me driving through the water box was not so good
Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah that sux dude.... i hate idiots who dont research proper track edicott before showing up and racing... totally not cool... maybe u should just show up on a et points day and enter it to get at least 4 good passes in with good track prep? or maybe a rental day or something