Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

How do I get around PA emmissions?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do I get around PA emmissions?

I want to get rid of the air pump, egr and cats. Can I do that and still pass OBD2 test in PA? Last time I had a ls1 there was no emmissions up here. What would I need to do to get it to pass without that stuff :p
Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you get the codes tuned out for it yea no problem in it passing. as long as you have the monitors set. but thats not saying you will pass state inspection being that in there is where the visual inspection is for the stuff.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use hollowed out cats and get your MIL/CEL codes tuned out would be the first step.

If they don't see cats, then you'll likely have a problem. I don't think they'll visually check for the agr, but I don't have any experience there.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

as long as you have the readiness monitors set (tuned out) the visual part is easy. i personally like the "no look" inspections myself
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with PA emissions has been that they are handled in the following ways:

1) The shop performs the emissions test EXACTLY as the state emissions procedure is written.

or

2) The shop performs the emissions test within the "spirit" of the procedure and leaves out one or more portions of the test.

Many shops on cars that are 1996 or newer will simply do a gas cap test and the OBD II test.

However, deep in the emissions procedure you will find that a visual inspection of the emission components is still required. Specifically, it is not legal to relocate or remove cats from thier original certified condition.

Many shops are lazy / don’t care and will slap the emissions sticker on the car as long as it passes the Gas Cap Test and doesn’t throw any codes that will cause it to fail the OBDII Test.

Find a shop that does business as described above and stick with them. This may take a little trial and error asking around until you find a good shop. It is always good to make friends at a shop in today’s emissions regulated society.

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnnyC; 08-18-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

From what I have seen, you are fine as long as you arent throwing any codes. That whole unplugging the battery thing won't work, as they should drive it around a bit.

Or, drive less than 5k miles/yr, and it will be even easier! Thats what I do... it just expedites the process.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PA is easy to fake on emissions exemption, and that is how I used to do it. I found a shop that didn't care to even look for emissions stuff if it was exempt, took it in there and started taking all the crap off after that and started breaking the law, I bought a new gage cluster, and just swapped it out after a few months then back in before inspection...

BTW, this may not work for the LS1 digital odometer, but it may, I am not sure where it stores the mileage...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I get around PA emmissions?