Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone selling a stereo receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone selling a stereo receiver?

My 5.1 receiver crapped out. I'm looking for someone who has a working 5.1 receiver who wants to sell. It obviously has to work. Sony has a brand new receiver that will do 1080p sound for 150.00 so I'm looking to stay in that price range. Depending on what you have I may pay more.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn Joe,you have the same luck as me in house electronics...
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Humanitarian

3rd X-Box 360, dead receiver, first AC died, water heater died, baseboard heater died. Never an eletrical spike or anything but if it runs on electric and it's in my condo, it's gonna die.

Last edited by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO; 08-20-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
3rd X-Box 360, dead receiver, first AC died, water heater died, baseboard heater died. Never an eletrical spike or anything but if it runs on electric and it's in my condo, it's gonna die.
if it's not a spike, it might be a floating ground
Old 08-20-2008, 06:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Damn that sucks Joe.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

sorry to hear DIESO but a new sony for 150?? why havent u got it yet
Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
sorry to hear DIESO but a new sony for 150?? why havent u got it yet
Because his wife spent all the money
Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Humanitarian

Ouch!!!! Michelle is actually pretty good, she works her second job and budgets her money much better than I thought she would. She could do better but so could I, we all could though really.

Keith, I am going to end up getting it. For 150 I cant get a used receiver that can do 1080p sound, even new, other brands cost more but still dont do 1080p. I just signed up for Comcast, for 30.00 more a month they gave me digital preferred cable (a bit more stations than regular cable), a hdtv tuner and the nfl network (actually the sports network, every game ever played during the year). Now when you guys come over you have something to watch and its high def.

This fall Netflix will allow all Xbox's to stream 20,000 movies free of charge to your TV.

I hope my high def dvr in my LCD is compatible with Comcast, if not I might break down and get the dvr from Comcast but the 30.00 is enough, I dont want to spend more on tv service. I just dont know if my built in hdtv dvr will be user friendly like the Comcast one is or if everything will have to be set manually. I dont have a good feeling that it will work the way I want it to but I rather chance it for a while at first.

Comcast is coming over between 2 pm and 5 pm. Michelle is dragging me to a jewlery party with her girlfriend from work but I have a funny feeling that girls boy friend and I will just hang out at my place and watch tv, drink and maybe use the Xbox.

Do you guys want a call if I end up hanging at my place?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Joe inviting us over Joe watching sports
Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Humanitarian

I watch the Celtics, you guys dont like the Celtics. I watch the Patriots, you guys dont watch the Patriots.

I like to drink alot, you guys dont like to drink alot.

Everything I do, you guys dont so I dont even bring it up. If you want to drink and watch TV, come on over.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is some advice DO NOT BUY SONY for your reciever but then again you like to replace broken things. You would be much better off with a yamaha,denon,pioneer than a sony. Why not post up the model your looking at so i could tell you whats better. For 150 bucks your going to get crap unless its a better used model
Old 08-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Teching In

I don't really have anything to get rid of, I'm too possessive with my stuff even though I have receivers I don't use anymore.

Prices have come down dramatically in the past 2 years or so. You can now pickup 5.1 receivers for VERY cheap.

That said, there are new digital signals that cannot be decoded with these budget receivers. You're mentioning 1080p; 1080p is a video resolution, not an audio compression. Digital audio is something like Dolby DTS, or Dolby Digital. 1080p is a video resolution just like 720p or 480p, and is the highest resolution commercially available. With regards to a receiver it simply means that it's able to pass this video through the receiver and into an input of the viewing device, typically a television. Since it's 1080p that means it has an HDMI hookup in the back and will act as a pass through HDMI Switch. At $150 it will NOT decode the digital sound over the HDMI cable, you typically need to spend $400 or more to get that.

That said, I suggest Onkyo's lower end receivers if you don't want to spend too much. They're quality at a cheaper price. I've also had good luck with cheap-o Pioneer stuff in the past. I would suggest staying away from Sony, I never had much luck with their home audio lines; although I've had 4+ head units for car audio from them and at least 2 amps and a sub over the years.

I personally use Harmon Kardon receivers, but at $500+ I'm not sure they're the best option for a budget setup.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Wait, you watch the Patriots?

Nevermind. Buy Sony! Hopefully it'll die and you won't be able to listen to Bellicheat.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
I watch the Celtics, you guys dont like the Celtics. I watch the Patriots, you guys dont watch the Patriots.

I like to drink alot, you guys dont like to drink alot.

Everything I do, you guys dont so I dont even bring it up. If you want to drink and watch TV, come on over.
i like the patriots, snowking likes the pats, don likes to drink
Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 351carlo
I don't really have anything to get rid of, I'm too possessive with my stuff even though I have receivers I don't use anymore.

Prices have come down dramatically in the past 2 years or so. You can now pickup 5.1 receivers for VERY cheap.

That said, there are new digital signals that cannot be decoded with these budget receivers. You're mentioning 1080p; 1080p is a video resolution, not an audio compression. Digital audio is something like Dolby DTS, or Dolby Digital. 1080p is a video resolution just like 720p or 480p, and is the highest resolution commercially available. With regards to a receiver it simply means that it's able to pass this video through the receiver and into an input of the viewing device, typically a television. Since it's 1080p that means it has an HDMI hookup in the back and will act as a pass through HDMI Switch. At $150 it will NOT decode the digital sound over the HDMI cable, you typically need to spend $400 or more to get that.

That said, I suggest Onkyo's lower end receivers if you don't want to spend too much. They're quality at a cheaper price. I've also had good luck with cheap-o Pioneer stuff in the past. I would suggest staying away from Sony, I never had much luck with their home audio lines; although I've had 4+ head units for car audio from them and at least 2 amps and a sub over the years.

I personally use Harmon Kardon receivers, but at $500+ I'm not sure they're the best option for a budget setup.
thanx for clearing that up for him, i wasn't about to type all that

Onkyo and harmon kardon are also good choices as well.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 351carlo
Wait, you watch the Patriots?

Nevermind. Buy Sony! Hopefully it'll die and you won't be able to listen to Bellicheat.

I also like this comment as well, can you blame me im a GIANTS fan
Old 08-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
I also like this comment as well, can you blame me im a GIANTS fan
I don't even want you to buy Sony, you should buy "Dual" or "Westinghouse"

E-A-G-L-E-S