Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Job advice???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Job advice???

Well I was medically discharged from the military almost a year ago and still havent found something I really want to do and I havent found a decent job.

And well finally I am getting help from the VA next week because I can not do the job I did while I was in the military(aircraft fuel system maintenace) I am allergic to jet fuel.

So next week I have an appointment with a VA counselor to try and figure out a career path for me. They will pay in full for me to go to school and pay me while i am going to school.
So I wanted to find out if anyone has had a good experience at a local trade school in the Tampa Bay Area including clearwater and st.pete or even in the Orlando area. Oh I tried the HCC thing and its not for me.

Things I am interested in are possible a

Insurance adjuster (but i have no idea how to get training in that)
Auto Collision Adjuster
Auto Body repairer
Home Appraiser
Machinist
HVAC tech
or some kind of apprenticeship (idk what kind though input welcome)

Anyone in any of these career fields that can provide input would be greatly appricated. Also if you have a career that is cool and isnt hard to get in to i am interested in hearing about it.

I am very mechanically inclined and good working with my hands also have common sense that may sound stupid but if you work with dumb *** people then you probable can appricate that lol.

thanks for the input guys....
Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HCC actually has a pretty good collision program where you learn not only paint and body but you could also go from there and be an estimator or do some further training and become an adjuster. Unfortunately, most jobs, in this field, that have benefits and stuff are at dealerships which are all closing down and finding steady work is sometimes a challenge.
To make sure this is something you're into, your best bet before going through the school would be to try and get an apprenticeship or entry level position at an independent shop so you can get a feel for what you would actually be doing when you get out of school. When you first start out if you want to paint you will pretty much be prepping cars all day and if you want to do bodywork you will be removing and installing parts all day. It is really something that if you don't enjoy, it can become very monotonous, which is why I'd recommend trying to get into a shop at least for a little while before you invest over a year of your time in school.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Job advice???