Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Unlawful Speed

Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Unlawful Speed

I just got my first speeding ticket here in Hillsborough county. I'd like to fight it but I don't know what I can fight against. If there's any cops in here maybe you can chime in. Is there anything stating that the officer has to at least have his driving/parking lights on or that he has to be in a lit area in order to be able to pull you over for speeding or is that just another urban myth about cops. If any one knows something that I don't and knows a way of getting out of this let me know I would greatly appreciate it because I really can't afford a ticket right now much less the increase on my insurance.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Teching In

city, sherriff or highway patrol? how did he get your speed? radar? if it was radar what type of radar was used? or followed you to clock the speed? I remember a few yrs back they had to show you the radar your speed if you asked? if you challenge it in court, they have to show certificate of calibration on a regular basis. but I'm not sure on todays standards.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

It was Sheriff and it was laser. I was coming over a bridge and he nailed me right as I came over. My V1 blew up but it was to late.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f-bodyfanatic
Is there anything stating that the officer has to at least have his driving/parking lights on or that he has to be in a lit area in order to be able to pull you over for speeding or is that just another urban myth about cops.
My dad and I both wonder how this came about. Countless number of people have asked me this question and I give them a nice long stare.

As much as I respect the LS1 community, I cannot give legal advice to fight a ticket. I can tell you to look up the state statues and read about the subject.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. Is there anything stating that the officer has to at least have his driving/parking lights on or that he has to be in a lit area in order to be able to pull you over for speeding or is that just another urban myth about cops.
Urban myth

Originally Posted by Bluechevyz28
I remember a few yrs back they had to show you the radar your speed if you asked?
Another urban myth

..........and it was laser.
That's the killer right there. Accurate as hell, and a detector is useless (as you found out) because the beam is so concentrated. ONLY thing you got is that they are required to "test" them before AND after their shift. If he didn't do that it may get dropped, but if you show up to court and he did....you have the possibility of paying HIGHER fines that includes court costs. Contact a traffic lawyer for your best shot.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Laser is unbeatable in court. One laser one car one ticket. Just overall you were speeding, caught, need to pay. Sounds real crude, but I researched found how they are used which ones have draw backs and which ones are just about bullet proof. You could get a lawyer, and maybe get just the fine and no points.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
You have the possibility of paying HIGHER fines that includes court costs. Contact a traffic lawyer for your best shot.
You will get butt loads of lawyer papers in the mail now. Take your pick really lol
Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah there really is no argument when they get you with laser its like a sniper hes got you no it may have bee nanother car or anything like with the dopplers.with a laser you arein the sights kinda like lookin through a scope....never speed over the tops of bridges and look for brake lights of the peeps in front of you on top of the bridge..never spped around curves either and again look at brake lights in front of you best advise i can give
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

onanother note back when i was in LE lol i loved the radar detectors i would get behind someone that ahd one and hittem with the stalker just to make thier detector go off kinda fun at 3 am in the morning lol...this was back in like 96 lol god its beena while
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys. I still don't know if I should bother fighting it with that slight chance that it could be dismissed or just admit guilt and pay it and take the hit with my insurance. I know I was speeding and I know just as I was getting on the bridge I was thinking to myself I should slow down because I can't afford a ticket right now, next thing I know my V1 is screaming laser at me and I knew I had gotten hit because I was the only car on the road at 12:55AM. If there is any chance of making my $266 ticket going away I think I'm gonna take it
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys. I still don't know if I should bother fighting it with that slight chance that it could be dismissed or just admit guilt and pay it and take the hit with my insurance.
take the class and pay the ticket.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Just get a lawyer. In south florida they got pretty much every speeding ticket dropped, not sure how it is in other parts of florida.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

you can try the ticket clinic also...me i would pay the ticket if you were in the wrong which you say you were and take it as a learning expereince. Now if it wasnt you or something then i would fight it but if you are in the wrong take responsiblity. As said pay it go tothe class if money is an issue they will give you extensions

Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Just get a lawyer. In south florida they got pretty much every speeding ticket dropped, not sure how it is in other parts of florida.
Not here anymore. I know the "new" traffic magistrate here personally. He doesn't put up with BS. Unless there is something actually wrong with the ticket or circumstances....he doesn't give free rides, aka withold points and no class and just pay a fine. I say "new" because he was actually the traffic magistrate before the last guy.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Check the bottom of this page

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Forgot to ask. Does anyone know if this will effect my chances of becoming a deputy?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

it definatley gives you another obstacle but I think you will be ok just dont lie about it

Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Look up Rick Silverman.. He use to be on armenia (sp?)

He saved my *** before.. Best traffic lawyer in Hills
Old 08-01-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The one time I got nailed in FL, I took a class and my ticket cost was dropped and no insurance increase. This was a while back though, not sure if you can still do that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unlawful Speed