Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Tinting Tails

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting Tails

Is there anybody in Jax that tints tails and does a good job?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know anyone in jax but I have done a few in orlando. I do go up to jax every few weeks or so. Might be able to meet up with you.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks, any pics of your work? I have a guy that goes a good job but he is in IL and well Id rather not ship my tails if I dont have to....
Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Why not do it your self? Save some cash and I believe VHT is only 12 bucks a can now at Advance Auto Parts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...aillights.html
Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Banned

i did mine with VHT and they turned out good. allot of auto body shops can do it better for $50 or so.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned

i live by marcus and do em ive done a few fbody cars including mine ill send you some pics as soon as i get em and neone that has seen how my lights look can vouge for me.

and in my personal oppinion no offense everyone but that vht sucks lol.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSweetheart
Thanks, any pics of your work? I have a guy that goes a good job but he is in IL and well Id rather not ship my tails if I dont have to....
I will see if I can find some. I usually use VHT and if you want a good look its all in the prep work, I think thats alot of people problem when they use VHT. I can send you the process or next time I am in Jax I can meet up with you and help you do it. Its not hard and if you have patients then you will have great looking taillights.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

teh way i do mine is sand ure tails down w 1000 grit clean it w laquer thinner then spray it w a mixyure of gm gloss black basecoat clear and hardner and they come out hela glossy
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00 SiLvEr SS
i live by marcus and do em ive done a few fbody cars including mine ill send you some pics as soon as i get em and neone that has seen how my lights look can vouge for me.

and in my personal oppinion no offense everyone but that vht sucks lol.
Ok good to know, I just dont want to do them and totally **** them up.

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY
I will see if I can find some. I usually use VHT and if you want a good look its all in the prep work, I think thats alot of people problem when they use VHT. I can send you the process or next time I am in Jax I can meet up with you and help you do it. Its not hard and if you have patients then you will have great looking taillights.
May have to look into it. Can it be done in one day? I wouldn't be the one doing it and not sure if hubby wants to even deal with doing it himself, then again it may be interesting to learn. He asked what I wanted for christmas and I said tinted tails. The SS is my dd so it would just be a pia if I had to send them out. Let me know how much you charge and I will talk to my husband this week and see what he has to say. Please dont be offended if I dont take you up on the offer, yeah it may be a cheap mod doing it myself but sometimes $ has priority over other things. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by SSweetheart; 10-27-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSweetheart

May have to look into it. Can it be done in one day? I wouldn't be the one doing it and not sure if hubby wants to even deal with doing it himself, then again it may be interesting to learn. He asked what I wanted for christmas and I said tinted tails. The SS is my dd so it would just be a pia if I had to send them out. Let me know how much you charge and I will talk to my husband this week and see what he has to say. Please dont be offended if I dont take you up on the offer, yeah it may be a cheap mod doing it myself but sometimes $ has priority over other things. Thanks for all the help!

Yeah I could do both tail lights in a day. Really depends how dark you want to go. If you want smoked or completly blacked out will depend how long it will be. I could do both tail lights for $30 if you provided the VHT. I have everything else.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY
Yeah I could do both tail lights in a day. Really depends how dark you want to go. If you want smoked or completly blacked out will depend how long it will be. I could do both tail lights for $30 if you provided the VHT. I have everything else.
Okay well there are more parts to tint then just the tails, sorry I forgot to mention that (but they are small parts, see the pic)...but as I said I will roll this idea around with hubby and see what he says and if you do find pics of what you have done that would be great!
Attached Thumbnails Tinting Tails-img_9476-1.jpg  
Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

PM me your email.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Teching In

grn envy and i did mine, this is how they turned out if your curious
Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for posting pics!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Teching In

no problem, a little plastic polish helps put a real nice shine on them, along with the clear coat

Quick Reply: Tinting Tails