Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

I'm in need of some advice about my build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm in need of some advice about my build.

Let me start and say I've been raised in Florida most my life and love it here. That's why I am posting it here. Back in 1998 my Dad traded in his Lincoln Mark 7, Which I grew up in and was very sad he traded it, for a white Firebird Formula Brand new. No complants on the ride home from school. Instantly feel in love with the car, He has 225k on all stock. So, Father like son, I pick up a bird for 3 grand. a fixer upper with a deadly uppercut LS1. Time to put my dreams in motion and be faster then the old man.

The car - 1998 Trans Am

Pro's- running motor
I press the gas and it goes
Lowered suspension
Intake box
Longtube Headers
9.5 wide rear tires
60k 3:42 gear rear axle

Con's - Broke the tail shaft housing last week
Needs a new Torque arm and maybe LCA's
New driveshaft
Hopefully not a new transmission from cracking the tailshaft housing at 140mph
Needs paint and interior parts

The build -
I have, a set of PRC stage 2.5 LS6 heads with springs, never openned.
SLP double timing chain
Meiling oil pump
TSP 228r cam 114 LSA

I am in the air about How to go about fixing the tail shaft so I can still drive the car for now and the motor build. I know for a fact I want an LS6 intake manifold, 3600 stall. that's it. I have friends that would help me do the build but I would rather have someone ike Lashway do it and not worry about ******* one small detail. I was thinking about an LQ9 buttom end for the project but have been shopping around with no luck.

chime in, opinions are welcomed. I am very open minded as the project is in limbo, I do have 4k to dump atm and am building on that.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a stock driveshaft if you need one and stock lcas

i would buy a good running (low miles) lq9 shortblock and the parts you want to use... cam, heads, intake, lifters, pushrods, oil pump, timing chain and so forth.... get everything, build the motor the way you want it (taking your time) and in the mean time fix the trans and whatever was damaged, when everything is in working order i would then swap engines and have it tuned

sell your ls1 or part it out to recoup some of the money spent
Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
i have a stock driveshaft if you need one and stock lcas

i would buy a good running (low miles) lq9 shortblock and the parts you want to use... cam, heads, intake, lifters, pushrods, oil pump, timing chain and so forth.... get everything, build the motor the way you want it (taking your time) and in the mean time fix the trans and whatever was damaged, when everything is in working order i would then swap engines and have it tuned

sell your ls1 or part it out to recoup some of the money spent
That's what I was thinking. stripping my motor for what I need off of it and selling it them buying an LQ9. I don't think I need stock parts anymore, My parts seem to be in good shape besides the iron driveshaft and cracked tailshaft leaking everywhere. still drives and goes into gear and drives but leaks like a beast so it's sitting
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

you many want to look into upgrading your rod bolts as well

first thing is first, fix what needs to be fixed now (trans and whatnot) then you can drive it while you are getting/looking for part for your lq9 built, then when its built, just sawp and your done