LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Florida Members (https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-members-58/)
-   -   New in Tampa! (https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-members/1863147-new-tampa.html)

5LTRETR97 03-12-2017 08:05 PM

New in Tampa!

Military man here. I am moving to Tampa in May and was wondering where all the LS guys/gals hang out/get work done on there cars. Let me know! Thanks! Later!

Sy99T/A 03-14-2017 06:57 AM

I'm in Lakeland and don get over to Tampa often but I'm sure someone will chime in with some info

5LTRETR97 03-14-2017 07:16 AM

Cool, thanks! Looking to get a place in Bloomingdale. Not to far from you. What's up your way? Later!

Docrocket1967 03-14-2017 10:07 AM

Used to be the Courtney Campbell Causeway but they shut that down. That used to be a lot of fun there. Gandy has always been hit or miss for years as for a local hang out. Sunshine drag strip is ok too some nights its packed other nights you could run circles out there cause there is only 5 or 6 other cars. Florida is hit or miss anywhere it seems.

5LTRETR97 03-14-2017 10:38 AM

Cool, thanks for the info! Looks like you have a plethora of vehicles. :) Nice!

brewster240 03-14-2017 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967 (Post 19561918)
Used to be the Courtney Campbell Causeway but they shut that down. That used to be a lot of fun there. Gandy has always been hit or miss for years as for a local hang out. Sunshine drag strip is ok too some nights its packed other nights you could run circles out there cause there is only 5 or 6 other cars. Florida is hit or miss anywhere it seems.

ive been here for 5 years and have never seen anything but hondas and stretched crotch rockets on ccc. was there a specific night better cars were out?

sunshine is called show time now. the saturday night street wars events have been pretty packed.

never been to gandy but hear about it

5LTRETR97 03-15-2017 07:22 AM

Great...... I have to deal with ricers... :( LOL!

5LTRETR97 03-15-2017 07:33 AM

Is Showtime a 1/4 mile?

Docrocket1967 03-15-2017 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by brewster240 (Post 19562833)
ive been here for 5 years and have never seen anything but hondas and stretched crotch rockets on ccc. was there a specific night better cars were out?

sunshine is called show time now. the saturday night street wars events have been pretty packed.

never been to gandy but hear about it

You are correct about the imports for sure. Back in the day from like 2008-2012 I would go constantly and there was a large mix of vehicles but the crotch rockets and imports did out number. It is hit or miss, I have been out there before and seen Chevelles, Novas, 1st Gen Camaros and quite a few LS cars and other nights seen nothing but Nissan's, Hondas and the Integras.

I knew they called it show time but I always forget that cause when I was a kid it was always Sunshine and it was a 1/4mile at the time but now it is just 1/8th mile. I 99% of the time went on Saturday nights after 10PM to the CCC

Gandy has always been more miss then hit for me it seems. We never really went there because the CCC was always better.

About 4 months ago I did cruise through the CCC and there was a bad wreck and the cops showed up and everyone was bailing out of there quick and seemed to be a good turnout for that night.

Docrocket1967 03-15-2017 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by 5LTRETR97 (Post 19562995)
Is Showtime a 1/4 mile?

Unfortunately 1/8th mile due to Ulmerton Road is what I have heard

5LTRETR97 03-15-2017 09:00 AM

Damn. Ok. Well, I haven't had any hits on the CTS-V forum either about local places to hang out. Maybe I will try the vette forums. Doesn't seem to be much activity down there in Tampa/St. Pete. :( Thanks Doc!

5LTRETR97 03-15-2017 09:12 AM

Don't do the street racing thing much anymore. I will hit it on the highway if someone wants to run though, lol! Just more or less looking for like a cars and coffee thing like I used to do in Houston and Miami.

Docrocket1967 03-15-2017 09:20 AM

Closest Cars and Coffee that I know of is in Ocala but im sure there is one closer to you. Florida can be so awesome at times and other times it makes you think how the hell anyone lives here lol

5LTRETR97 03-15-2017 09:24 AM

Cool. Really, interesting. Where abouts are you in FL?

Docrocket1967 03-15-2017 11:30 AM

I am out of Brooksville in Hernando County just north

5LTRETR97 03-15-2017 12:41 PM

Cool. Looks like theres a 1/4 mile in Bradenton. Little hike for you though.

brewster240 03-15-2017 03:04 PM

thursday nights is a car cruise at the clearwater quaker steak.

theres a car and coffee at dupont registry in st pete 1 saturday a month, and a follow up event at dimmitt cadillac.

an alternate saturday the dealership reeves in tampa has a cars and coffee thing that they call the gathering.

bradenton dragstrip is quarter mile, they have thursday test and tunes and run day sunday, some times saturday nights. its a much better track than showtime.

theres a lot going on, too much to do all of it in fact. you just have to pick the ones you want.

Docrocket1967 03-15-2017 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 5LTRETR97 (Post 19563308)
Cool. Looks like theres a 1/4 mile in Bradenton. Little hike for you though.

I make it down there twice a year usually. One for FL2K and the other for Muscle Car shootout which used to be the lsx shootout at one time.

camar0corey 03-15-2017 05:25 PM

Well here is a future welcome to the area!

I actually got pissed the last Runday Sunday I went to at Bradenton. They had a Friday night test and tune, a points race that Saturday, it was the Sunday of the Daytona 500 and on that Sunday some huge race event in Georgia.

I thought hmm perfect day to go, shouldn't be too packed.... 4 hours there and one run! WTF?! Definitely not worth the $100+ I spent on the whole day between fuel, feeding me and the wife, getting us both in there, etc.... Like DocRocket I am also in Hernando County so it was a full day event to go and one lousy pass... After that day was the last time the Draglites were on the car, I sold them as I was tired of getting the damned things on the car, wasn't even worth the trouble anymore. :lol:

I've just had really bad track luck recently, last time at OSW I only got three passes in... :lol: I need to know when these magical slow days are, so it can be worth my time to drive over 1.5 hours to OSW, Bradenton, or Gainseville...

Bowtiedford 03-15-2017 10:25 PM

I use all American street car performance in Largo, he must have about 10 LS swaps going on right now. street action is pretty hot but very secretive these days. Face book is the big site for the street meets and those groups are picky on who joins them. so it goes pretty good still but they don't want the ccc type crowd at all.