Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

DIY 4l60e fresh rebuild slipping 2-3 shift and 4th

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY 4l60e fresh rebuild slipping 2-3 shift and 4th

First 4l60e rebuild, I went by the Manuel. Replaced every questionable part and upgraded to gd parts at ever corner. So I replaced VB because I could get the original completely apart do to debris from rear planetary failure. It could be the issue.
i installed sonnex accumulator check valve in case but never removed original CHeckball. I also upgraded the 2-4 servo with corvette servo, when I received the servo it had a shin that I had removed. I don’t have tool to check band properly. There is a 1/8” of clearance when servo pin is applied.
trany shift Manuel style first and second holding good but auto 1 gear and second gear shift at wot 2-3 shift rpm rev like neutral. Reverse also works fine. I have only drove it for about 10 miles. After truck had sat and ran and reached temperature. Tranny temp didn’t rise above 165f during the short test drive. The transmission temperature was 155 before test drive. I have ordered the sonnex GM048 VB to be able to cross it off the possible problem list.
I am running raybestos high energy frithions the 3-4 clearance 0.45 Thousands new bonded pistons sonnex pinless accumulator pistons installed per the instructions.
is it possible to install 3/4 release springs upside down? I don’t think I did this but I’m am thinking about all possibilityS. It would be great if a veteran tech could shed some Light... thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Damn 6 months later, wish I saw this when you first posted. There's video series on youtube on how to rebuild the 4L60E from transmissionbench.

Quick Reply: DIY 4l60e fresh rebuild slipping 2-3 shift and 4th