Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Cops Laws

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cops Laws

since when is "excessive acceleration" considered "street racing" if its only you and no one else around you. i had never heard of it and its a $500 ticket with a court date. happened to me today but i got off with a warning. THANK GOD. i dont even see how they can consider it. even if your tires do not lose traction they can consider it "racing". also goes along with WOT on the highway. WTF.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=& URL=Ch0316/SEC191.HTM&Title=->2005->Ch0316->Section%20191#0316.191

(c) "Racing" means the use of one or more motor vehicles in an attempt to outgain or outdistance another motor vehicle, to prevent another motor vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another motor vehicle or motor vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

i just did it to get the car, that was about a foot off my bumper, off of me and put some space between us.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

that's pretty gay. Friend of mine back at college got pulled over for "accelerating faster than the flow of traffic" and ticked for said "violation".....
Old 06-09-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Addict

I am just happy to know that there are brave men in iniform willing to risk their life everyday to protect us from vicious thoughtless crimes such as the one you have comitted. I hope you take this warning to heart, because the next cop might not be so close to the end of his shift.

I was pulled years ago for that, got a warning too.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They as in the "Cops", gave warnings because they'd have a hard time in court if the offender showed up with a lawyer,
Old 06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

That law is pretty subjective. Any time you leave a light beside someone, whether you are in a Geo Metro or a Ferrari, if you are one bumper length ahead of the car beside you this law can be used to ticket you. Or anytime you accellerate to get on a highway for that matter, because the object of the ramp and acceleration lane is to get up to or faster than the traffic in order to merge.

Yeah, I think a lawyer could pick this law apart. Whoever wrote it must have had a corncob stuck up their a$$
Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by my bandit
even if your tires do not lose traction they can consider it "racing".

If your tires lose traction every time you "race" then you need to look into some better tires, buddy j/k

Any "racing" ticket will involve a court date, and depending on how the DOT feels about it, it can come with a suspended DL for a year (this decision is NOT up to the judge).
Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to get pulled over for loud exhaust and tint all the time...dammit i hate lake mary cops!! just playin if any of yall dudes are lk mary oinkers
Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Well, discretion is most certainly in play here. If someone mashes the gas to prevent someone from getting in, I would call it "reckless driving", or "failure to yield". I would only arrest a person (or persons) if it is a clear cut case of racing, or something very close to it.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Skinny
If your tires lose traction every time you "race" then you need to look into some better tires, buddy j/k
i do need new tires soon but when you take off even if they dont loose traction you will still get it
Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The SSheriff
Well, discretion is most certainly in play here. If someone mashes the gas to prevent someone from getting in, I would call it "reckless driving", or "failure to yield". I would only arrest a person (or persons) if it is a clear cut case of racing, or something very close to it.
your a cop so what should i do if someone is about a foot away from my bumper
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would think the proper answer to that is to either change lanes and let them pass, or if you are on a single lane pull off and let them pass. If you are on an interstate in the passing lane and somebody is that close and you have room to stomp on it to get further away, maybe you shouldnt be in the passing lane anyway. If you are in another lane, then simply let off the gas slowly(read, dont jam on your brakes) and they will get frustrated and pass. Problem solved. It is a differant story on a smaller road, but accelerating to get away from them is certainly not the answer.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

what i do when someone is a foot away from my rear bumper is just let off the gas and GRADUALLY continue to slow down. hell get so aggrevated that he'll go around you. if he bumps you , hes at fault and could be subject to prosecution or a severe *** whoopin or both.
when he does go around, make sure you let him know exactly how you feel but dont give chase, thats road rage and it could turn around and bite you in the ***.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

it was on a 2 lane road but i tried letting him pass but he wouldnt go around. i gat him a little roar but it didnt work
Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bobodog
what i do when someone is a foot away from my rear bumper is just let off the gas and GRADUALLY continue to slow down. hell get so aggrevated that he'll go around you. if he bumps you , hes at fault and could be subject to prosecution or a severe *** whoopin or both.
when he does go around, make sure you let him know exactly how you feel but dont give chase, thats road rage and it could turn around and bite you in the ***.
but isnt the law in florida that no one is at fault or something like that. wouldnt my insurance go up and have to fix it?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The proper answer, then, is to pull off and let him pass. Would any of us do that at any given time, maybe, maybe not. But I think that is probably the proper lawful way to handle that situation.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Absolutely, pull over and let him pass. But we all know we probably wouldn't do that. It's the wierdest thing, every time someone rides my *** an animal runs out in front of me causing me to slam on the brakes. But seeing what you were driving, probably not a good option. There is also the option of calling 911, believe it or not, we do respond to calls of reckless drivers.

If you were to slow down, not slam on the brakes, and he hits you out of road rage, that's called aggravated battery, a felony. A simple accident because he is following too closely probably result in a ticket and him being found at fault for the accident. You are correct to an extent as Fl being a no fault state. Any accident I work, I list who I feel was at fault based on my investigation. However, it's up to the insurance companies to battle out and decide who's paying for what.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Pulling over and letting him pass is the "best case scenario", but going through the hassle of worrying about the guy behind you AND traffic around you, the best thing to do is ride it out and wait until the driver behind gets a clear shot at passing you.

As far as road rage is concerned, one of the worst things you can do is stare the driver down, or "take the law into your own hands". That just causes 10x more problems than it solves.

My Bandit I am not a police officer yet.... but hopefully will be soon.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The SSheriff
Pulling over and letting him pass is the "best case scenario", but going through the hassle of worrying about the guy behind you AND traffic around you, the best thing to do is ride it out and wait until the driver behind gets a clear shot at passing you.

As far as road rage is concerned, one of the worst things you can do is stare the driver down, or "take the law into your own hands". That just causes 10x more problems than it solves.

My Bandit I am not a police officer yet.... but hopefully will be soon.
im not a road rage person. i will just get pissed off in my own car. i will not bring it outside of it. im not the person that slams on their horn for 5 minutes.

SSheriff good luck hope it all works out.