Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LT1 Radiator in 98 Camaro w/ Procharger fan shroud? Does it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT1 Radiator in 98 Camaro w/ Procharger fan shroud? Does it fit?

My radiator plastic tank just split on my way home. I got lucky and checked my oil at the gas station and noticed the antifreeze on the rad-support.

From all of my research, (included the FORCED INDUCTION SECTION) I have found that the 93-96 LT1 rads are the thickest being 1.375". 97 LT1's are 1" and 98 & up are under an inch.

I would like to use the 93-96 radiator but I am unsure if it will fit since I am using the Procharger supplied fan shroud. I would assume that it shouldn't make a difference since the shroud connects to the plastic side tanks which are identical as far as mounting positions from 93-02.

Will anything else be effected?

Will I need to trim or modify anything else?

One last thing, I am on a budget, so an aftermarket aluminum radiator is out of the question!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

It should fit but with one exception.

I installed a 97 instead of the 98 and it fit except there was a fitting exiting the radiator on driver side that I had to trim to keep it away from the charger (D1SC). I capped it with a rubber blockoff.

Before you buy - pull it from the box. You will see what I a referring to. The outlet is on the lower left hand side. But if you get a 6 speed version then maybe it isn't there.

Mine is an auto so I capped the inlet and outet for the trans oil cooler inside the radiator. I understand you don't have too but I did anyway. I isolated the trans oil temp lines directly into the trans cooler instead of routing into the radiator and then to the cooler. Tranny temp has yet to get over 150 F.

Summary: Most will say it is a direct fit drop-in - except when you have to consider the ATI shroud and the charger head.

I have since replaced the 97 with a BeCool. It is not a direct drop-in as many say. I had to make all kinds of modifications to get it to fit. But it's big and keeps things cool - I think I added nearly 3 gals of coolant.

Tip: When you install the radiator - tape cardboard over the fins completely - front and back. It will save making a mess of the fins and a possible hole or two in the tubes in the radiator. There are bolts on the inside of the ATI radiator shroud that can get into the fins if you are not careful when dropping it down into the tabs on the radiator that hold the shroud in place.

It's a lot easier if you have a helper when fitting the shroud back into place.

When you have the radiator out is the perfect time to inspect and get sqeaky clean the AC condensor fins - especially on the bottom.

hth

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 04-16-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
It should fit but with one exception.

I installed a 97 instead of the 98 and it fit except there was a fitting exiting the radiator on driver side that I had to trim to keep it away from the charger (D1SC). I capped it with a rubber blockoff.

Before you buy - pull it from the box. You will see what I a referring to. The outlet is on the lower left hand side. But if you get a 6 speed version then maybe it isn't there.

Mine is an auto so I capped the inlet and outet for the trans oil cooler inside the radiator. I understand you don't have too but I did anyway. I isolated the trans oil temp lines directly into the trans cooler instead of routing into the radiator and then to the cooler. Tranny temp has yet to get over 150 F.

Summary: Most will say it is a direct fit drop-in - except when you have to consider the ATI shroud and the charger head.

I have since replaced the 97 with a BeCool. It is not a direct drop-in as many say. I had to make all kinds of modifications to get it to fit. But it's big and keeps things cool - I think I added nearly 3 gals of coolant.

Tip: When you install the radiator - tape cardboard over the fins completely - front and back. It will save making a mess of the fins and a possible hole or two in the tubes in the radiator. There are bolts on the inside of the ATI radiator shroud that can get into the fins if you are not careful when dropping it down into the tabs on the radiator that hold the shroud in place.

It's a lot easier if you have a helper when fitting the shroud back into place.

When you have the radiator out is the perfect time to inspect and get sqeaky clean the AC condensor fins - especially on the bottom.

hth
Thanks for the info!
The only thing I see different is that I am installing a 93-96 LT1 radiator which is larger than the 97 radiator. I do not know if it will fit due to the larger core?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The core is not a problem at all. I have a griffin with a 3" core, and I can still use the stock procharger shroud.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it will fit about anywhere the ls core will fit ,it's the same except the core itself is about 3/8 inch thicker,the tanks are the same.Only difference is the outlet on the bottom on the drivers side which you don't need for the ls motor.Just plug it off or if it's in the way cut it off some and plug it.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure the core you get is actually thicker, i bought one from summit and it was the same thickness as my stock one. also, when i switched, i had a shop put the ls1 plastic caps on the lt1 radiator so i wouldnt have to worry about blocking up the plugs.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

OK thanks guys. I just found one local for $150 and he verified that it has a 1-3/8 core.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i paid less than half that for mine from a non sponsor, pm me if you want there name
Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

***UPDATE***

The rad fit perfect. The unused outlet on the driverside was a little close to the inlet hat (about an 1/8") but other than that it was a simple swap.

The car definitly runs a little cooler. I had 3 days of 90 degree weather to try it out. One of those days I ran the car down to Philadelphia for a ball game and ran the A/C non stop in stop and go traffic for an hour. The temp never went over 195 degrees on the 90 degree day. I didn't expect much but it dropped my temps a couple of degrees which in my mind was a step in the right direction.

Quick Reply: LT1 Radiator in 98 Camaro w/ Procharger fan shroud? Does it fit?