Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Discussion about turbo cams, overlap, boost and reversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the cams i tried in my 436 had 40deg of overlap,car wouldn't fall out of a tree for the first 300ft,after that i made good power.But the cam with 18 deg made just as much power up top and 3 times as much down low.I tried everything under the sun to make that cam work-just wouldn't
Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
one of the cams i tried in my 436 had 40deg of overlap,car wouldn't fall out of a tree for the first 300ft,after that i made good power.But the cam with 18 deg made just as much power up top and 3 times as much down low.I tried everything under the sun to make that cam work-just wouldn't
That big of a difference from 22 degrees difference in overlap? Have you seen any difference going from a negative overlap cam to one with overlap? Is there a sweet spot?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, that is how mine was. Its like the motor is running on 4 cylinders. I knocked 24* out and its a whole new motor.

I think there is power to be had with overlap, but it takes a really good setup/tuner. Some of the stuff Spetter did amazes me. The guy is a genious.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

you guys need to keep this going, I'm taking notes!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM
7 Second Club

Just went thru a similiar experience, the smaller cam I just put in kicks the **** out of the other. Had to leave on 13 PSI on the larger cam and it still wouldn't 60'. Thing sounded like a 757 on the line then left like a golf cart, lol. I'm squared up now at 8-9psi off the line with the new cam.

More food for thought that ties into Brian's comments. My 447 CU/106mm with 60mm WG takes the same amount of C02 to run the same boost he does, almost exactly.

Mark

Last edited by BlwnTA; 06-15-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
Just went thru a similiar experience, the smaller cam I just put in kicks the **** out of the other. Had to leave on 13 PSI on the larger cam and it still wouldn't 60'. Thing sounded like a 757 on the line then left like a golf cart, lol. I'm squared up now at 8-9psi of the line with the new cam.
care to clue us in on the specs or is this just more secret squirrel cloak and dagger?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish there was more data out there on turbo cams and the combo's they were used on. A sticky with everybody listing there setup would be nice. Even if they don't give away cam specs tell us what other parts are used and what shop spec'd the cam. Then track times and dyno numbers. Myself personally I am going to use Shawn at Va Speed.

Last edited by TurboAv; 06-15-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

More food for thought that ties into Brian's comments. My 447 CU/106mm with 60mm WG takes the same amount of C02 to run the same boost he does, almost exactly.

Mark
interesting...thanks for sharing
Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
care to clue us in on the specs or is this just more secret squirrel cloak and dagger?
Not going to give specifics because I don't know if my engine builder wants that out there,lol but I can tell you its a fairly traditional hydraulic roller turbo grind.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Zombie
It's not about being secret squirrel.It costs alot of money to figure this stuff out,i can tell you that i have tryed 6 cams in one engine-that isn't cheap.Guys like me and Kurt Urban(who built Mark's engine)do this for a living,this is how we make our money-us giving away the info we worked so hard for is foolish.Be happy that guys like us chime in on any topic and please be grateful for me or anybody else trying to steer people in the right direction.I could easily not say anything and just watch people go in the wrong direction.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...Be happy that guys like us chime in on any topic and please be grateful for me or anybody else trying to steer people in the right direction.I could easily not say anything and just watch people go in the wrong direction.
Shawn, I went back through your posts here and found basically 2 things. One was that the cam depends on the combo, which I think we pretty much all knew. The other was that 18 deg of overlap made more low-end than 40 deg overlap, which is kinda intuitive. Was there anything that I missed?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Not going to give specifics because I don't know if my engine builder wants that out there,lol but I can tell you its a fairly traditional hydraulic roller turbo grind.
Oh NO, Your not getting off that easy, whats the specs man. You came in the topic now spill it, lol
Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Be happy that guys like us chime in on any topic and please be grateful for me or anybody else trying to steer people in the right direction.I could easily not say anything and just watch people go in the wrong direction.
I don't know if you meant for that to come off condescending or not, but it sure did in a very big way.

I started this thread as a discussion on theory. I don't care about numbers. I do care about understanding the basic theory when it comes to dealing with the different pressure differentials seen by turbo vehicles. It is good to see people posting some information who have tried different setups but they lack any explanation of the theory. Saying you have done X and gotten Y result is useful to an extent but I'm trying to get an understanding of why.

Myself and my friend and fabricator 1320 have done a lot of testing at our own expense and time with rear mounts and shared the results, but it's just a hobby for us. Even with the free information provided and an explination of why, very few people actually follow it the first time around.

You could probably post exact cam specs that work the best for every combo on the planet if you had them and only one out of twenty people might copy them so you'd just be wasting your time typing any ways LOL. If you understand the theory or even if you don't but have formulated your own through testing, it would be informative to hear. Everyone's combination is different and even with knowledge of the theory getting the best setup will still need to be done through trial and error. Unless people are willing to take the cost of trial and error testing upon themselves they will need someone who has been there done that and knows what little tweaks work in which scenarios. That experience is not attainable from just theory and in my oppinion that is the real secret and money making knowledge. If you don't want to share any more than you have already because this is your main business and what puts food on the table, I understand.

Ironically I'm not even looking to change out my cam, just trying to get an understanding.

Last edited by Zombie; 06-15-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: trying to be more polite
Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

People guard their cam specs...period. I was lied to for years about one guys combo. It wasn't until I got to know him and bought the cam out of his motor did I find this out. I laugh about it now when I hear him talk to people...its all BS.

Not unless you want to experiment, get a cookie-cutter grind. Something that someone else has tried and worked. I opted to experiment. I'm on my third cam and countless months of zero return....it sucks! I did learn some stuff though.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
People guard their cam specs...period. I was lied to for years about one guys combo. It wasn't until I got to know him and bought the cam out of his motor did I find this out. I laugh about it now when I hear him talk to people...its all BS.

Not unless you want to experiment, get a cookie-cutter grind. Something that someone else has tried and worked. I opted to experiment. I'm on my third cam and countless months of zero return....it sucks! I did learn some stuff though.
Do you mind contributing?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by engineermike
Exact specs were 200/234 duration, 126 deg LSA, 9 deg retarded.
For the fun of it... stock LS7 cam specs are 210/230, 120 LSA. Not sure about advance, though.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

surprised no one has mentioned anything of Speed Inc's turbo cams...

233/233 .595/.598 112 lsa

TU0 216 216 .561 .561 114
TU1 225 225 .581 .581 113
TU2 236 236 .587 .587 112.5
TU3 240 240 .588 .588 112

if you guys search here you can see as when they lowered the LSA the car picked up power everywhere, each time.

and if people can't understand why Shawn, Kurt, etc. don't want to share their cam specs...

Chad
Old 06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
and if people can't understand why Shawn, Kurt, etc. don't want to share their cam specs...

Chad
I don't have a problem when people keep their cam spec's a secret. However, it bothers me when people come in to a thread and tout how much they know but offer no real theory or specifications. If you don't want to share your knowledge, then there's really no point in posting to begin with.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by engineermike
I don't have a problem when people keep their cam spec's a secret. However, it bothers me when people come in to a thread and tout how much they know but offer no real theory or specifications. If you don't want to share your knowledge, then there's really no point in posting to begin with.
I see your point...but Shawn DOES help here quite a bit...and I at least appreciate it.

back on topic...anyone have any opinions on the Speed inc style cams?

Chad
Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I ran this one in my turbo combo, though my shorty was 8:1 and the overall combo was pretty laggy due to the size of the turbo:

TU2 236 236 .587 .587 112.5

I know other local guys who have run the above turbo with more cubes and compression and they run really really well.

Quick Reply: Discussion about turbo cams, overlap, boost and reversion