Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

heat issues, coolant/tranny/oil....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heat issues, coolant/tranny/oil....Help!

On myTT vette:

temp out side was 100:
I have a dewitt radiator and fan set.
I have 2 permacool 10" by 14" with 1000CFM fan on each. (one for tranny on for oil)

I was not driving "spirited" I did hit boost 5 or so times (for 1-3 seconds) but i never floored the car
I went for a 30 min drive 10 mins in traffic (not bad traffic at all just average stop and go). About 7 mins on the freeway and then turned around and came home.

by the time i parked in the driveway i had the following temps:

oil= 230
tranny= 217
collant= 212
Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the factory fans put out 3,000 cfms combined, might be wrong on that. If true, you're down alot on cfm's. 33%. In city driving, the fans do almost all of the cooling too.....so.....

What do your temps look like while cruising steady at say 65-70 mph? If they're around 190-195 while on the highway where the fans don't really do anything, I'd look into better fans.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
I think the factory fans put out 3,000 cfms combined, might be wrong on that. If true, you're down alot on cfm's. 33%. In city driving, the fans do almost all of the cooling too.....so.....

What do your temps look like while cruising steady at say 65-70 mph? If they're around 190-195 while on the highway where the fans don't really do anything, I'd look into better fans.

temps contuinue to go up... I have the dewitts upgraded fans.

ok i went for another drive. outside temp= 87

Lite traffic to the freeway. Drove an extra 5 mins (than my frist post). Other than the extra 5 mins of driving i drove the same as in the first post.

coolant got to 210 (with A/C on)coolant would drop while driving though)
oil got to 228 (never dropped just went up)
tranny got to 239 (never dropped just went up)

I parked the car in the garage and let it idle for 10 mins

oil came down to 214
coolant came down to 196
tranny dropped to 234????
Old 07-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Linxs
temps contuinue to go up... I have the dewitts upgraded fans.

ok i went for another drive. outside temp= 87

Lite traffic to the freeway. Drove an extra 5 mins (than my frist post). Other than the extra 5 mins of driving i drove the same as in the first post.

coolant got to 210 (with A/C on)coolant would drop while driving though)
oil got to 228 (never dropped just went up)
tranny got to 239 (never dropped just went up)

I parked the car in the garage and let it idle for 10 mins

oil came down to 214
coolant came down to 196
tranny dropped to 234????
Do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler? Is your tranny fluid running through the radiator? I'm not a big fan of that really. Aftermarket cooler, or maybe even two of them inline will do wonders for the trannhy temps. And bypass the radiator.

210 isn't bad while driving with the A/C "on". Do you have a 160 t-stat with the fans programmed to come on sooner? When I cruise on the highway with the A/C "on" my temps never get above 195. If I'm in the city on real hot day it'll get up to 210-220 in heavy traffic with the A/C "on". But as soon as I start to move it drops alot.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-04-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Banned

If I were you I'd do two of these coolers. Mount them both behind the air dam and cut the strips out like I did. This is my power steering fluid cooler though.

My tranny cooler is in front of my condensor on the passengers side.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
Do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler? Is your tranny fluid running through the radiator? I'm not a big fan of that really. Aftermarket cooler, or maybe even two of them inline will do wonders for the trannhy temps. And bypass the radiator.

210 isn't bad while driving with the A/C "on". Do you have a 160 t-stat with the fans programmed to come on sooner? When I cruise on the highway with the A/C "on" my temps never get above 195. If I'm in the city on real hot day it'll get up to 210-220 in heavy traffic with the A/C "on". But as soon as I start to move it drops alot.

Posted in my first post: i have 2 permacool 10" by 14" coolers with 1000CFM fans on each. They are mounted on the right and left sides of the intercooler. The coolant does not worry me, although i would like to see it about 10 degrees cooler, the tranny and oil temp do worry me.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 99 vette also. I had noticed it always at 220. I got bored one day a couple weeks ago and took the radiator out and washed all the cooling fins off and blew them out with an air hose (AC condenser also). Holy **** there was a lot of dirt in it. On the gauge not sure what it is (gauge is stupid) but it now runs 2 increments cooler...close to 200 maybe?, even in last weeks near 100 degree heat. These cars are like vacuum cleaners, and dirt in a radiator will decrease its cooling ability. Blocking even 10% of the airflow with dirt is enough to make a difference.

I even hot lapped it 3 times racing last night, and it got close to 220, but quickly dropped back down between runs (2 minutes). Very distinguishable difference from before I cleaned out the radiator. ....just an idea.

And also the thermostat has nothing to do with how cool a car will run. All a 160 stats would do is open sooner, and then once the engine got up to temp (200) it would never close again and make no difference.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:56 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75

And also the thermostat has nothing to do with how cool a car will run. All a 160 stats would do is open sooner, and then once the engine got up to temp (200) it would never close again and make no difference.
Really? Even in high climate areas like TX, AZ & FL? I was told otherwise for those areas.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got my cooling issue straightened out with a Taurus fan. If you have the room, I'd go ahead and get one of them.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

I have a 99 vette also. I had noticed it always at 220. I got bored one day a couple weeks ago and took the radiator out and washed all the cooling fins off and blew them out with an air hose (AC condenser also). Holy **** there was a lot of dirt in it. On the gauge not sure what it is (gauge is stupid) but it now runs 2 increments cooler...close to 200 maybe?, even in last weeks near 100 degree heat. These cars are like vacuum cleaners, and dirt in a radiator will decrease its cooling ability. Blocking even 10% of the airflow with dirt is enough to make a difference.

Thanks, The radiator is brand new, maybe 300 miles on it.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of guys have added external oil coolers. Your coolant temps are pretty normal on a FI setup with those outside temps. I have never monitored my tranny temps, so I cant comment on what it could be. This year I plan to add an oil cooler for next summer. I dont drive my car much. The temps and humidity here in Florida gets up there. I drove my car a couple of days ago when the rain let up and put 2 hours on my car. I did some spirited driving and coolant temps never went above 214 with AC on, but oil temps got up to 246. What I dont like is when my oil temps get above 235 I start to get some smoke out the exhaust.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Teching In

This is probably the most unheard of method of approach butit works...DON'T DRIVE IT lol jk.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have anything blocking airflow behind the coolers? You can put all the fan you want on it, but if it has no place to move the heat, you won't cool. Just asking because i've seen it before on customer's cars, but do you have some debris stuck in the air scoop? I've seen leaves, trash bags, you name it in those cars, and it isn't hard to accumulate a lot of junk when you've upped the ante with the fans.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZO6ER
This is probably the most unheard of method of approach butit works...DON'T DRIVE IT lol jk.
lol, it's not

Originally Posted by deadhorse66
Do you have anything blocking airflow behind the coolers? You can put all the fan you want on it, but if it has no place to move the heat, you won't cool. Just asking because i've seen it before on customer's cars, but do you have some debris stuck in the air scoop? I've seen leaves, trash bags, you name it in those cars, and it isn't hard to accumulate a lot of junk when you've upped the ante with the fans.
nope it's all clean. It's all brand new .. thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6ER
Its funny you say that. I did not start noticing things until I started driving the car more. I put like 1000 miles on the car last year and discovered things I needed to work on. I have the majority sorted out and so far this year I have already put another 1000 miles on the car. So far the only heat management I need is getting my engine oil temps down. The rest is purely cosmetics and a freshening up on valvetrain components.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What oil are you running in the motor? Who's stall are you running and who's trany? Coolant is normal and nothing to worry about.
Jeff
Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VINCE
What I dont like is when my oil temps get above 235 I start to get some smoke out the exhaust.
Gets hot = oil gets thin = gets by the rings

Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Linxs
Posted in my first post: i have 2 permacool 10" by 14" coolers with 1000CFM fans on each. They are mounted on the right and left sides of the intercooler. The coolant does not worry me, although i would like to see it about 10 degrees cooler, the tranny and oil temp do worry me.
Two aftermarket tranny coolers and an oil cooler will solve the problems. You can also get the ones with electric fans on them.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

lol are you serious??

with a good cooling system the thermostat will indeed start closing to control the temp

or maybe it is just a freak that with my meziere pump, griffin dual pass, and no thermostat that my car will drop below 150* at idle
Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Banned

Da hell?

The t-stat opens and closes all the time, it never stops doing that. When you first start the engine when its cold, the t-stat just sits and does nothing till the coolant thats touching it gets to the rated temp of the t-stat. Then the hot as hell coolant thats mainly in the heads slowly works its way to the t-stat through conduction...it opens and trades that hot *** coolant with the "cool" coolant thats been sitting in the radiator getting wind blasted while you were driving the whole time. As soon as the tail end of that "cool" coolant goes full circle thorugh the system and starts flowing across the open t-stat, the t-stat will start to close sensing that cool coolant. Then that hot *** coolant is in the radiator getting cooled down by either the fans or by ram air from the lower air dam..or both. The cool coolant that just went into the heads and block is now getting heated up by the cylinder walls. Then the process happens again and again.

In very bad situations where you maybe have a dirty condensor in hot weather with the A/C "on" or a piece of newspaper gets caught in front of the condensor, or other cooling problems....then you can have a losing battle begin where the coolant that just transfered to the radiator does not get cooled long enough and goes back through when the t-stat opens and its still really hot. A t-stat can then start to NOT close all the way during a cylce and the downward spiral can begin.

Quick Reply: heat issues, coolant/tranny/oil....Help!