Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A few turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few turbo questions

I understand the majority of the turbo setup and have been learning more recently but have a few more questions I haven't been able to answer through searches. Please bear with me, I'll try and post enough info so you don't have to ask later. Here goes nothing.

I'm looking at doing an inexpensive turbo setup but need to make sure my ideas seem reasonable. I picked up an 82mm Holset turbo off a 14.1L Cummins for free. Huge I know, but could it work? I'm building a cammed LQ4 for a Jeep that'll see a lot of mixed use. I'll be doing lots of rock crawling and street driving that won't "need" the turbo at all, so the late spool time of the big turbo seems beneficial in these situations. It'd essentially be invisible at these low RPM uses, right? I'll also be doing lots of sand dunes, mud, and general high RPM abuse, which is where the big turbo would really shine. So is there any reason this couldn't work well?

I'm building the entire rig from scratch and putting the LQ4 setup together as we speak. I've got a rebuilt 4L80E to go behind it. I've already gotta buy/build everything for the fuel system, electronic controls(speed density tuned through EFIlive), wideband, cooling, etc so those costs aren't factored into the turbo build since I need to do them anyway. I'll just need to spec different pump and injectors to handle the boost(suggestions welcome), then pick up the other turbo-specific parts. I think I can add the turbo setup into the mix for around or under $1000, let me know if I'm on crack. I've got fabrication skills so I have no problem building all the pipes, headers, ducting, etc....basically making my own kit with custom everything. Ebay intercooler, budget wastegate and BOV, etc.

I don't need anything crazy or exotic, I just want a simple, reliable, powerful setup that'll make good power for relatively cheap. I think 500whp with a good tune is very attainable with this, I just want to make sure the turbo isn't so big that I won't be making boost till above 5000RPM.

Cliff Notes:-Can an 82mm turbo be used to be essentially invisible at low RPM but make good boost(6-8psi) in the mid to high RPM range? Ideally I'd love for it to start building good boost around 3000RPM.
-Can the turbo-specific parts be RELIABLY pieced together for $1k? Free turbo, Ebay intercooler, budget wastegate and BOV, homemade piping and ductwork, etc.

The more info I can get the better, and if you need more info on my planned setup just ask away.