Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aps turbo failure symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Aps turbo failure symptoms

Just curious as to what exactly your aps turbos did when they died?

Did they smoke at idle,decel ,accel, wot? Did they screech and rub the compressor housings? ,did they not boost anymore? Did they put oil out thru the intercooler pipes into the tb or out into the air inlets?

I am seeing thinks some smoke wot and fighting a problem think thats maybe unrelated. I get a machine gun noise when going wot and bucking and don't really hold the car there. Not sure if its a boost leak yet but am running speed density so figured boost leak won't do this..Not sure also if boost is normal as said its hard to hold it into boost. Might just be plug problem will know more as do more investigation.

I have spare ebay centers to use and was likely going to the LG upgrade over winter possibly sooner. But mostly just curious what the dead turbos did exactly.

I did get a dud right off the bat. Internally cracked letting coolant into the oil but not vice versa. I have been running them oil cooled only since then since also not sure which turbo is the dud. These mits turbos can be run water cooled only its optional but still a good idea to use the water of course.I just did it to get me maybe thru the season with them.I have about 2000 miles on the 408 and the kit so far. I have left boost at 7.5psi for now .

Also ask this one more time here..is it possible for a boost leak to still make a speed density car buck and machine gun? I know on a draw thru the car just would go dead on my talons with a bad leak.
Does a boost leak on speed density even a huge one like main pipe off simply reduce boost. And does a boost leak on one side of a twin system like this have any noticeable effect?

Anyone else get a bucking, machine gun effect when their turbo or turbos died?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine just started smoking like crazy after rowing through the gears. No bucking or machine gun. I tapped the gas while limping the car back and it wouldn't boost either.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smoking and leaking, sometimes a whirring noise where the compressor wheel is rubbing the cover.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine blew

Mine just blew today! I heard like a hitting underneith once in awhile and i heard it a little heavyer today before it blew.It almost sounded like a relay clicking or something to this effect real load under neith when ide put it under load without totally getting into boost. Oil smoke all out the back of my exhaust tonight was its final goodbye LOL

Last edited by barnat; 07-19-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm well thats sucks.Barnat. I stented my right drivers intake duct today.Used 3 inch oval pipe like was used by previous Aps guy.It was bit annoying to get it turned in there but finally did it. Cheap fix compared to paying for new intake pipes.
Will do passenger side in a few days. I checked my drivers side turbo over. No excessive shaft play, no rubbing on the sides, no funny noises. No oil out the intercooler side or out the inlet side and 02 sensor on that side also looked fine when changed it .So my drivers side is still ok. Will check passenger tommorrow. Maybe I just got a pair of good ones. Course haven't been hitting them past 8psi and not sure will . They have to last me thru this season hopefully which ends in october. Don't worry Louis almost sure be getting a set of your upgraded ones. These aren't exactly inspiring trust .
What were you boosting it at Barnat?

Quick Reply: Aps turbo failure symptoms