Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS blown head gasket?? What head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS blown head gasket?? What head gasket

I have a 2000 camaro with a T67 with 9 pounds of boost. I have methanol injection 42lb injectors and updated valve springs. About 2 months ago I was running the boost and the car just like shut down and could barely run. It sounded like a miss fire and was smoking really bad. Allot of the vacuum lines were blown off the turbo and 1 on the engine. Well I was out to sea allot and today I went to look at it and it started up and ran but made noises and I noticed the oil is really milky so I know the head gasket is blown. What head gasket and bolts should I get? I have stock heads. And do you think something else might be wrong and what should I look for? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do some GM- MLS gaskets and ARP head studs.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with conan I run gm mls gaskets and arp bolts. But I would also look at other things as well like fuel pressure and the meth. It could have run lean to cause more pressure in the motor. I never heard about vac lines blowing off the turbo that could have caused a boost spike and lifted the heads.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a methonal injection kit and run a mixture of 70/30. I hope i did not break any rings. The motor is making alot of taping noises. I plan on tearing the heads off in 3 weeks when i get back from training. Can you recomend any places to buy those parts?
Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might not show the damage that could have been done to rings, pistons and rods if you just take off the heads. Mine looked perfect from the top. I broke #7 in the ring area and scorched two rod bearings.

Here's the thread with pics:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ebuild-ss.html
Old 07-18-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000sts
I have a methonal injection kit and run a mixture of 70/30. I hope i did not break any rings. The motor is making alot of taping noises. I plan on tearing the heads off in 3 weeks when i get back from training. Can you recomend any places to buy those parts?
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=88&catid=36
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=879&catid=36
Old 07-18-2009, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while it might be a blown head gasket,i betting it's a broken piston and a cracked cylinder-seen this several times before.The pistons seem to let go before the head gaskets in the ls1's