Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS drivers turbo blew today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex in Houston
The Ebay kits are what I was referencing. The fact that the APS crap is recycled Chinese Woks (you said "probably" as if the links I provided were from a web page I made and host on my own server) just like the Ebay kit(s) what's the difference?
I mean you even state the turbos are garbage, the customer service is non-existent and Inall is still able to screw over more Americans (sure there is a Peter that runs the place BUT you're delusional if you think it's anyone other than Dave Inall trolling and posting on the forums).
Your money and time to R/R the crap so buy what makes you happy (and it gives me something to chuckle about later on when you post your issues).
Umm do you have an aps kit? Did you install an aps kit? The turbos might be knockoffs but they kit is not all chinese parts. The welding on the intercooler and inlet pipes is top notch. And the kit fit really good, keeps air ,etc.etc.
I have seen lots of real garbage coming out from various small turbo companies on this forum and other places. I have seen many many companies on here deliver nothing at all and walk away with thousands of dollars.
Aps shipped a kit ahead of shedule and while its seems a fair amount of these f body turbos and maybe gto and c5 turbos are junk the kit itself is not that bad at all.
I will upgrade my kit and even if put another 3k into it with LG turbo upgrades will have like 8500 into it paid 5500 shipped. Most custom twin kits are in that range anyway. I can fix my aps turbos for much less by simply buying mits centers don't have to go to upgraded lg ones. And aside from having to drop the kmember it looks like to do the passenger side not a huge deal. They are vband clamps so the centers come out and you can leave the exhaust housings on the car . Drivers side can be swapped out with no kmember dropped and so far we don't have 100% failure so its hard to say whats up. We had quite a few people on here running them for quite awile without failure so maybe just a batch were unbalanced or just some were knockoffs maybe unknowingly bought.

I was a bit worrried when heard about that Inall Crook working at APS but as said APS shipped a kit on ahead of schedule and so far my turbos are fine just checked them out. No shaft play no hitting the compressor housings and no clouds out the back. Inlet tubes were simple 30 buck fix. Sway bar problem will be solved with a few spacers and shortening the endlinks. I got back up centers for like 800 bucks for two if need to use them.

So whatever but to keep going on and on when you don't even have a kit. How many twin kits are available right now for the f body? Don't see any other ones at all. There are some singles on here offered by little companies. and some guys are getting kits from them.But sorry little companies and even big ones vanish in the blink of an eye. I lost 2000 to a sponsored on here company with good rep and in business for several years. Went down in partnership war I think and lost my money. Never received one piece of my twin kit.

So buy a used aps kit if you can and upgrade the turbos and be happy.
Or buy some single and be happy if you can find a company solid enough to ship it and deliver it in a reasonable period of time. Or fab one up with ebay parts or whatever if you have the skills and try not to buy knock off turbos,blow off valves, gates while your at it.
That said I hope my aps turbos last me till end of october and hope my tial gates are genuine and already upgraded the bosche blow offs to hopefully genuine turbosmart supersonics.

And will add that the intercooler with the kit seems to do a great job and fit well.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, why must you type out those long *** soliloquies every time you post?
You're like the un-official NON-PAID (hell, in fact YOU PAID THE COMPANY) spokes person for Dave Inall.
I'm far from interested enough in you and your "deity" APS to write a long effigy in response.
I will say You're right, in all that you espouse turbo/APS related. I'm not worthy of interaction with you because I don't, nor will I ever own an APS kit."
Back to "lurk" status I shall return.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Considering how long APS has been around, and with the quality of the kits, I don't think there's a better option other than a custom setup right now. That's why I went with them.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Alex in Houston
Dude, why must you type out those long *** soliloquies every time you post?
You're like the un-official NON-PAID (hell, in fact YOU PAID THE COMPANY) spokes person for Dave Inall.
I'm far from interested enough in you and your "deity" APS to write a long effigy in response.
I will say You're right, in all that you espouse turbo/APS related. I'm not worthy of interaction with you because I don't, nor will I ever own an APS kit."
Back to "lurk" status I shall return.

Sorry .I actually OWN the kit, installed it pretty much myself with mechanic buddy. I found it high quality ,great instructions and fit very good considering how tight things are in these cars. I have put several thousand miles on my kit now. Hugger Z has over 20,000 miles on his kit not everyone on this forum has had problems..
So you have your opinions and I have mine. Right not there are pretty much zero choices in twin f body kits. And the custom kits I have seen are stupid expensive near 10k. I wanted a prebuilt kit didn't feel like welding and fabbing everything and wanted a twin kit. I don't work for APS. I wish Peter would answer questions more directly. I don't know what capacity Dave Inall
is at APS. Don't much care.
I am fixing few things wrong with my kit. Buy what you want.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know How I missed this thread, been busy!

I will respond when I get a chance tonight, but yes, the turbos are poor quality. no other way to describe it.

As subarubilli mentioned, TRUE MHI turbos, are pretty resilient little suckers, they are made to take a beating. These are not true MHI turbos. How could they be, for the price?

As for stuff made in china? A lot of stuff is made there. EVERYTHING about the APS kit is fantastic. The turbos, however, the most important part, are not.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Louis
I dont know How I missed this thread, been busy!

I will respond when I get a chance tonight, but yes, the turbos are poor quality. no other way to describe it.

As subarubilli mentioned, TRUE MHI turbos, are pretty resilient little suckers, they are made to take a beating. These are not true MHI turbos. How could they be, for the price?

As for stuff made in china? A lot of stuff is made there. EVERYTHING about the APS kit is fantastic. The turbos, however, the most important part, are not.
No problem my man! I ended up finding a brand new drivers side APS from another vmember here pretty cheap and am going to have it ((totally)) checked out by my local turbo shop here before installing it LOL.Im looking to just get threw the summer before i get some new ones from you! Thanks for the reply by the way. Ill let you guys know what my local turbo shop says about this APS turbo too. I'm betting its out of balance if i were a betting man?LOL
Old 07-30-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Both turbos were bad

Well ,after install the drivers side APS turbo with a replacement new turbo that i got from another member here it looks like the passanger side turbo must have went too .Im just gonna pull the k member this week and replace both with the LG upgraded ones and be done with it !APS ******* SUCKS IMO
I stiill cant believe they sold these cheap *** turbos to us with there kit??
Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

bro i told you just to get the LGs and be done with it. ive done all this work all ready it sucks and i hope things workout for you
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tomz28
bro i told you just to get the LGs and be done with it. ive done all this work all ready it sucks and i hope things workout for you
LOL I KNOW "I KNOW" You sound like my wife !!LOL Just kiddin my man
Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

barnat

do you know if it's possible to replace the aps cartridges with quality ones before they explode themselves?

wouldn't that be a good viable solution?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got one question. Whats going to happen when the LG's fail.

PER LG's Website
There is NO warranty with these parts, however, we do answer our phones and we do post on the major message forums
Atleast APS has a 90 day.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Umm have you been reading any of the threads going around. You can buy the LG turbos to replace them. They are center carts with new inlet housings,plug and play..well after you pull the kmember down unfortunately drivers side can be done kmember in but not passenger side apparently.

There are other options find actual mits tdo6H 20g carts. I got ebay ones but on idea if they are actual mits 20gs. Not sure how much actual mits carts would cost. Other guy on board is running the ones I got off ebay and he says so far so good several thousand miles.
Wish he would come on here and talk a bit about his results with them.
Guy could go buy mits 20gs and strip out the centers but should be possible to simply buy genuine 20gs centers outright.

I actually want a bit more aiflow now so looking at the LG ones closely.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm the guy terrorizing northern California with an APS kit with an e-bay replacement mitsubishi TD06h Cartridge from Kando Dyanamic in Japan. The blades were angled just slightly differently on both the hot and cold side and it was said to spool quicker than the TD06 it replaced. I replaced the dud on my passengers side that went bad after 1-2k miles and haven't looked back. I paid with shipping less than $350. US dollars but was like $600 aussie. The exchange rate was excellent a year and a half ago and I'm still running them hard. I bought a second turbo cartridge, TD06h from Kando about 8mo. later just to have a spare that shared the same exact specs. That's still wrapped up in storage if I ever need it. The kit IS cool other than the failed turbo and the lack of any customer service from APS. Enough said!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

I hate when you post, every post is like a damn essay.

get to the point and say what you have to say.

I HAVE NEVER READ ANY OF YOUR POSTS AND I NEVER WILL, I'm sure I'm not the only one.. Shorten them to about 1/3 of what they are and more people will read them.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lemons12

I HAVE NEVER READ ANY OF YOUR POSTS AND I NEVER WILL, I'm sure I'm not the only one.. Shorten them to about 1/3 of what they are and more people will read them.
That's a little harsh, don't you think? His last post was pretty to the point. Bob
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

I type fast and can put out a paragraph in time most guys put out a sentence. Fact burn the letters off my keyboards very quickly.

I just type what I think ,this isn't English class is it? My spelling is good and sorry can get repetitive sometimes.

But hey why are you in every aps thread lemon when you don't even own the system?
You are always putting in your two cents.

LG and others have already said the aps kit was generally high quality just the turbos are in question. Mine are still working at 4000 miles not counting that am running them oil cooled only.

And have the same replacements LOWBIRD has sitting in the box that are plug and play for back up.

So really why do you keep putting in your two cents in these APS threads? As for not reading my posts don't care at all. Its a free country. Feel free to not read them if they are too long and use too big a words for you to understand. I realize some people may not have got thru school or skipped out a bit too much.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

look at this

they are TD06 repalce ment centers with ball bearing setup. and tou can buy just the center. it is around 2200 US dollars for both. i have talked to this guys about 4 times. and talked to two US dealers. they seem great and know what they are doing.

this is what i will be doing if i ever get car done. work has been nuts.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12

hey 99ta always has something good to say if you cant read it fast dont care dont bitch about it and stop taking up space on the thread thats my 2 cents and to the point
Old 08-26-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
That's a little harsh, don't you think? His last post was pretty to the point. Bob
I have no idea if they were two the point, I didn't read them.

Ok, maybe just a little..

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I type fast and can put out a paragraph in time most guys put out a sentence. Fact burn the letters off my keyboards very quickly.

I just type what I think ,this isn't English class is it? My spelling is good and sorry can get repetitive sometimes.

But hey why are you in every aps thread lemon when you don't even own the system?
You are always putting in your two cents.

LG and others have already said the aps kit was generally high quality just the turbos are in question. Mine are still working at 4000 miles not counting that am running them oil cooled only.

And have the same replacements LOWBIRD has sitting in the box that are plug and play for back up.

So really why do you keep putting in your two cents in these APS threads? As for not reading my posts don't care at all. Its a free country. Feel free to not read them if they are too long and use too big a words for you to understand. I realize some people may not have got thru school or skipped out a bit too much.
I type very fast also, 110+ words per minute.

I visit the forum regularly... I stay in the "New posts" all the time, when I see something that interests me I click on the thread.. As for the APS thread/s you didn't have to have an APS kit to have something to say about the thread. Peter was being WAY out of line and it totally shocked me, so I figured I post up about it a little bit.

BTW, you use nowhere near too big of words for me and I got through more than 1 stage of school just fine. This was also the first post I read all the way through (not thru).
Old 08-26-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the main point is you have your two cents to say about lots of things especially aps kits. Yes Peter does need to go to customer relations school.
Yes he can serious dodge questions like a policitician.

But APS sent me a kit. Ahead of schedule. For not to bad of a price even considering the turbos are iffy. After hearing some prices from KYTP on custom kit and other companies on their custom kits I will still be ahead of the game even if bought LG turbos or some other drop in turbos . Lowbird is running the same ones I bought as spares no problem so far he just said that but maybe you dont' read his post either.

Again point is why are you in here? You have no aps kit, they aren't making any more f body kits . I doubt you would buy a used aps kit so why keep going on and on and on..
I was offered possible replacement if did send it in but shipping ,etc and it was still working and didn't want to put the car down so been running it on oil cooling only, so far its still kicking..no spyhunter smokescreen and still boosting happily away. Knock off ..likely but whatever might last a few more months till car goes away for winter..good enough.

Quick Reply: APS drivers turbo blew today!