Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Motor Time, opinions and help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Time, opinions and help appreciated

Putting this over here because of the increased volume of people, this is for my 2001 silverado project,
http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...d.php?t=403132

So I'm going to be slowly putting my motor together in the next few months for the project truck.

My ultimate goal for this truck is definitely a street truck, not looking to run this thing down the 1/4 every week, maybe here and there. Plus it's backed with a t56 6speed. I'm looking for about 700rwhp with plenty of room to expand.

I've thought about the s85 and a 402ci motor, I don't really want to bore the block (lq4)
But here is a response I got about that setup
I would stick with the stock stroke alot of builders have been stuffing 4 inch arms in the ls's on the iron blocks but the sleeve length is just to short for good reliability ,I can build you a nice long block for around 8000.00 that will take some serious abuse or if you have questions on your build feel free to ask.Have a good one Tom
ME
Hmm... interesting. So you're saying stick with a 364? and run the s85? Or should I bore it to a 370. Seems like a lot of guys are going 408.

For 8000.00 what does that include?
Iron block,Callies crank,Oliver billet rods,forged 2618 pistons with rings to work with boosted app,l92 heads with inconel valves block oringed and heads receiver grooved,Hydrualic roller with dual springs titanium retainers.The combo is very stout and streetable .The bore is 4.005 stroke 3.625
So I started thinking about doing twins instead of the big single, because I want the instant boost at the low rpms but still have the top end power. I understand $$ is greatly effect on this but lets put that aside for now. So I decided to get a hold of Forced Inductions and see what they had to say
I would suggest that if you want twin turbos then go with the TC series line of turbos. A pair of their new TC6265's would be the ticket for sure. If you want a single then the S85 is hard to beat.....the price now on those units is less then before as well.
So I'm kind of at a loss for which way to go and how to build the motor accordingly. I'm pretty set on turbo so lets keep that in mind.

As for fuel system, I'm not looking for anything INSANE like usabodygaurds, but I figured I could maintain a reasonable system to support my 700hp goal, again with room to improve.

Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

700 rwhp in a truck is dangerous because they are so light in the back,. I keep mine in the 600 rwhp and have about 400-500 lbs in the bed as a daily driver (which is a great way to aid with traction). I turn it up for the track. A 370 and a tc78 would make plenty of power and spool fast. My 347 and t76 has some lag which makes it much easier to keep traction. I find it much easier to go wot and ease off the gas when it gets into boost than having instant boost and having to pedal the throttle to try and keep traction. Try to find someone that is making different power levels and go for a ride.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

very good points, however the suspension and 20x15s in the rear should aid with traction. Seems like everyone is pushing me towards a single front mount... but I just love the way twins look
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMracer
very good points, however the suspension and 20x15s in the rear should aid with traction. Seems like everyone is pushing me towards a single front mount... but I just love the way twins look
Not trying to shoot down your plans. Just letting you know that the kind of power you are talking about is useless on the street unless you want to roll race or do massive rolling burn outs.

Short of a slick for the street, nothing is gonna hook 700 rwhp in a truck. Most truck guys have plenty of traction issues well under 500 rwhp. Even with suspension mods and wide sticky tires.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You dont need an $8K short block to support 700rwhp. All you need is a stock crank, forged eagle or compstar rods and a set of off the shelf diamond or wiseco pistons. Should be able to get it done for $3K or so. Use the extra money for a single 78-88mm turbo and you're done. Should be safe to 1000 rwhp provided the tune is right.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I completely understand that I don't need that block I was just curious what he would charge. I didn't plan on buying it, just curious that was all. Im more curious if my wants for a TT is going to be shutdown for the single.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

easier to plumb single, cost less. make more than enuff. power for street.
can build a lq4 engine with forged rods and pistons and keep 317 heads.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was planning on running the l76/l92 setup... but seems as though I should stick with a single.... now, should I got ot a 402? 370? I figured 402 s85 would be mint... but the 370 seems to be holding together better under boost. But the s85 would probably be too large for that small of ci