Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal you have everything lined out again.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006 z51 vette
How do you like the holley dominator EFI?
I am thinking of ordering one for my build...
I've had extensive tuning experience tuning 8 sec or faster street cars (as in real driveability) with HPtuners, AEM EMS, and Big Stuff 3. I've also played with MegaSquirt2 & 3, EFILive, and FAST XFI. Nothing comes close in ease of use or capabilities out of the box. There are far more inputs and outputs than I could think of needing. Integrated 2 step, 3 step, dual wideband, nitrous control, traction control (haven't tried this yet), and boost control is coming soon (at no charge). It's compatible with Low or High impedance injectors It also has the ability to set conditions to turn on warning lights, or pull timing if say a pressure sensor drops below a certain point. Then there is the closed loop wideband that you can do based on one of the widebands or an average of the 2 and it learns on it's own. Note that at idle, sometimes there isn't sufficient airflow over the WB to do the closed loop function so getting the idle right sometimes has to be done by hand. The Dominator supposedly will even control any of the GM electronic transmissions although I haven't messed with that either as we use full manual units.

The interface is super easy to use and the datalogger is outstanding. Needless to say, I like it alot. We have it on LS2Formula's car and have been 8.4 @ 170 so far with it. We will be going to a track rental all day Monday and will be turning the boost all the way up . Trying to talk him into dropping the exhaust so we can do an apples to apples comparison against the BigStuff that he had in there before and ran a 7.9 on. That was also with more boost than we have put to the Holley System yet. FYI, We are still using the AMS1000 boost controller on his car but the idea is to get ride of all the extra **** in the car and do everything with the Holley. The only down side to making the switch is that it will not operate any of your factory gauges. The good thing is that they have these custom programmable digital gauges w/ sweep LCD that you can configure
to read anything and they just released a touchscreen that can be mounted like a Racepak but can be used to tune the car, log on an SD chip and/or display a gauge cluster. It can't be beaten for the price IMO.

Originally Posted by 020NN20
I noticed you have a t4 exhaust with a .96....what size downpipe is coming off of that turbo, 3.5"? I have a 383 with a precision 78mm t4 .96ar, 3" exhaust, and everyone (well a lot of people) say the turbo will start to back up around 15 psi (want to run around 20 on race gas). Does that turbo fall off at all up top? I know you have a few less cubes, but not much....should be about the same....any advice would be helpful. Thanks,

Dennis
I have a 4 inch mandrel bent pipe from the turbo all the way back over the rear. I'm pretty sure that there are pictures of the first and second versions of my exhaust. First version was dumped before the axle with a single Magnaflow muffler right before the dump. I then cut the dump, went over the axle, and capped it at the end with a 4" flange on the passenger side. Then I had a 3" pipe that "T"s into it with a second (Borla XR1) muffler in the stock muffler location crossing over to the passenger side for full stealth on the street. When I want to run full boost at the track, I uncap the 4 bolt 4" flange at the end of the 4" pipe on the passenger side.

A single 3" is insufficient exhaust for an NA motor this size, much less one making 700+ like yours. I do feel that my exhaust housing is a restriction and that I should be running a T6 housing with the equivalent of a 4.5-5" DP for atleast a few feet before stepping down. Remember that as the exhaust gases cool, they contract so the further back from the turbo you go, the less diameter you need. The reason that I say equivalent is that there really is no way to tuck a 5" pipe under these cars so it would have to go into a merge and then into 2 3-3.5 inch pipes, oval pipe or out the fender.

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
Good deal you have everything lined out again.
I really hate being at other people's mercy and hate even more that my car is down for what is our best season in Florida. Totally stoked that things are came back around.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 020NN20
I noticed you have a t4 exhaust with a .96....what size downpipe is coming off of that turbo, 3.5"? I have a 383 with a precision 78mm t4 .96ar, 3" exhaust, and everyone (well a lot of people) say the turbo will start to back up around 15 psi (want to run around 20 on race gas). Does that turbo fall off at all up top? I know you have a few less cubes, but not much....should be about the same....any advice would be helpful. Thanks,

Dennis
The PT88h has a T4 flange. But the housing itself is much larger and runs a bigger turbine than the other t4's P,F,Q,or S wheels. Some of the PT88's have an 83mm others are an 87mm turbine from my research. The 78GTS has a 75mm turbine and will back up on a 355 at 5k or less when running 15psi.

To get the bigger turbine you'd need a PT80h, S475 or 480, GT45 or twins.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

That is what I was hoping to hear about the system...

Seems Like I will need the following for my build (67 nova, single turbo, 370ci LQ4, ported 317 heads, LS9 camshaft, methanol, 60 or 80 # injectors with a 4L80E trans and 3.XX gears)

Holley Dominator EFI box
power harness
LS2 harrness
drive by wire harness
transmission harness
Seems to be around 2K for everything...

vs.

Stock Harness from Truck
ECU to run system
Transmission harness and ecu box for it or standalone box
tuner suite
boost controller
Methanol controller
Old 01-13-2011, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
As a result of tearing this down I found a pretty good exhaust manifold leak that I was not aware off. MO BOOST

I had the same problem! I pulled the engine and the whole left side of the block was covered in exhaust soot from the manifold not being tight. 3 of the bolts were loose and never realized it. I wonder how much it was huring me.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 2006 z51 vette
That is what I was hoping to hear about the system...

Seems Like I will need the following for my build (67 nova, single turbo, 370ci LQ4, ported 317 heads, LS9 camshaft, methanol, 60 or 80 # injectors with a 4L80E trans and 3.XX gears)

Holley Dominator EFI box
power harness
LS2 harrness
drive by wire harness
transmission harness
Seems to be around 2K for everything...

vs.

Stock Harness from Truck
ECU to run system
Transmission harness and ecu box for it or standalone box
tuner suite
boost controller
Methanol controller
I think that the basic Dominator setup with engine harness, coil harness, power harness and 2 WB02's is about $2000. Not sure about the drive by wire or the transmission harnesses.

Originally Posted by Snyper
I had the same problem! I pulled the engine and the whole left side of the block was covered in exhaust soot from the manifold not being tight. 3 of the bolts were loose and never realized it. I wonder how much it was huring me.
It would only be hurting you when you are trying to max out the turbo. I wasn't able to make more than about 21-22 psi. Maybe now I can squeeze another couple of lbs out of it.

Anyway, Short block is done.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for reading thru it. Not sure that I have pics to show you where everything is but I'll do my best to describe it.

1) Just above the oil filter on the side of the block there is a little plate with a hole that is halfway drilled thru. Pop it off, drill it and tap it.

2) I honestly don't remember where I got the fuel rails. Most likely Speed Inc. Just make sure to find out what threads are on the end so that you can get the correct fitting for it. I've seen some that are done in standard AN and others that are shallow and require an oring fitting.

3) Oil return is going into the driver's side of the pan towards the top. Use atleast a -10 , -12 if you can get it to work.

4) PCV system is really basic. I have a pipe welded to the back of the driver's side cover and I had the front fill neck on the passenger side modified then it goes to a catch can.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...n/IMG_0390.jpg

5) 99 PCM should work fine. You'll need to flash it with a custom OS, get a 3 bar MAP and a tune.
I have a plastic fill neck on my LS. What years came with aluminum or is that something you made? I'm trying to run a catch can breather system similar to yours.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
I have a plastic fill neck on my LS. What years came with aluminum or is that something you made? I'm trying to run a catch can breather system similar to yours.
If you remove the plastic fill neck, you can screw the cap straight into the valve cover via the slightly raised flange that the fill neck screws into. My buddy cut that flange off the valve cover, welded a tube on the end and then welded the flange back to the top of the tube. There is also a hole in the fill tube that goes thru into the aluminum bend that is wrapping around it so it vents thru there as well into the catch can. I have to use a funnel to put in oil or pour it in slow (as if it were a slide) so that it doesn't end up running into the catch can.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh...ok thanks.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of doing the 370 wIth a pt88. I'm going to run ported 241s due to lack of money. Do you mind sharing your can specs?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I'm thinking of doing the 370 wIth a pt88. I'm going to run ported 241s due to lack of money. Do you mind sharing your can specs?
It's an off-the-shelf Livernois Stage 2 cam. 231/231 595/595 113 IIRC. It's all towards the beginning of the thread.

Longblocks together. Also, a buddy came over with the plasma cutter to notch out my frame so I can build a cold air intake and put a big filter on it. I was limited to a very small filter picking up hot air directly behind the radiator.

I'm in no rush at this point as I ran into a small delay. The Holley EFI harness does not support the stock oil pressure sending unit and, of course, the hole is a crazy thread size (16mm X 1.25) that needs adapted to a regular 1/8 npt pressure sending unit. Hopefully Murray's will have the fitting Monday for me.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

If its not one thing its another...hope the fitting adapter situation works out for you.
Are you going to run piping between the inlet and filter for your cai?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

car has alot of history
Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
11 Second Truck Club

It's an off-the-shelf Livernois Stage 2 cam. 231/231 595/595 113 IIRC. It's all towards the beginning of the thread.
Do you happen to have video of the car in idle?

BTW are you still using stock main bolts?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 6techniques
If its not one thing its another...hope the fitting adapter situation works out for you.
Are you going to run piping between the inlet and filter for your cai?
Yeah. Race Parts Solutions is local to me and they have all the silicone couplers, clamps and tubing that you could imagine. I think that I will step it up from 4" at the turbo inlet to 4.5 or 5" tube if I can fit it and see what kind of filter options I have. I'll take some pictures of the notch in the frame in the next few days. My welder friend has to come out and box it in still. Then I'll see what I can squeeze in there.

Originally Posted by Reject
car has alot of history
Hopefully it has some future also. Honestly, I'm real nervous as I've never assembled a short block myself. I'm told that I have too much reverence for it but it's just something I've never tackled before.

Originally Posted by JJ_TURBO
Do you happen to have video of the car in idle?

BTW are you still using stock main bolts?
I'll see if I can find something. It'll be at the track with the cutout open, more than likely.
Yes, stock main bolts. Next go around it'll get ARPs and I may have my engine builder pin the mains.

If you go to 1:30 in this video, that's about the best idle sound I can find. That's with the cutout open (thru one muffler) and idling about 900-950 RPMs. It's not loud or lumpy. I like to creep up on my pray. With the cutout closed it goes thru a second muffler and reduces to 3" so it's VERY quiet. Like bone stock or quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UAjWXvOZos
Old 01-16-2011, 06:25 PM
8 Second Club

car sounds stock lol.

what size tire do you run?

what tire pressure?

man that thing leaves hard!

Last edited by dudeman; 01-16-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by dudeman
car sounds stock lol.

what size tire do you run?

what tire pressure?

man that thing leaves hard!
Mickey Thompson 325/50/15 @ 18-20 psi
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Sounds good, I’m more into the loud, lumpy sounds, I went thru several mufflers to find the loudest, but at the end what ever works best has to be.

Good luck with this shorblock.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Restricted User

The new computer and harness should be here tomorrow. Almost done putting it together.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88