Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your fuel rail plumbing was unexpected......
I'd think you would need a parallel plumb at your power level????
How are you setup again????

Won't that heater hose plumbing bypass the stat?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve did a little surgery on my harness today and cleaned it up for me.

Dominator

Got the bung for the steam ports welded in and welded lower rad core support in. I think I'll pick up a little clearance despite the radiator having a thicker core. The stocker was wider and taller. Because of the width, I was hung up on the humps up top.

Went to replace the slip yoke today on the drive shaft and both u joints were toast. I only had one so just need one more and I can get the drivetrain back together.

Should have it back in the car tomorrow night. I need to get a cap made to hold the top of the radiator. Then I just gotta come up with a cold air system, cap the notch in the frame and get the wiring finished up for the Holley. Should be ready to fire it up by Saturday or Sunday unless there are any unexpected setbacks.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good
Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Restricted User

Frame's boxed in

Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why the need for the frame notch?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Restricted User

That's where my turbo inlet ends up facing. I could only fit a really small filter and was melting them every couple weeks. Sucking hot air from behind the radiator and above the hot pipe. Now I can run a silicone coupler to an aluminum pipe into the fender with a big filter sucking in cooler ambient air. Should drop charge temps a good bit.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kinda of figured that but had to ask. When I had my car running with the 6 speed I ran a filter set-up but since then I have ditched it and it has done ok so far. Temps are right at ambient but I run meth so thats the biggest part. Does the holley unit control any factory stuff or do you have to piggy back that with the stock pcm? IF you want to retain some factory stuff?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
Kinda of figured that but had to ask. When I had my car running with the 6 speed I ran a filter set-up but since then I have ditched it and it has done ok so far. Temps are right at ambient but I run meth so thats the biggest part. Does the holley unit control any factory stuff or do you have to piggy back that with the stock pcm? IF you want to retain some factory stuff?
You retain most of the stock sensors on the motor with the exception of the oil pressure sensor. That's why I had to get the 16mmX1.25 male to 1/8 female pipe reducer to accept the standard auto meter style 0-100 psi transducer (aka sensor). Being that I have a 98 cluster, I could double up on sensors and get a few of the gauges working like voltage, oil pressure, and water temp. If it were a 99-02 cluster, I don't think that you can get any of it to work.

The correct way to do it is to either buy the Holley programmable gauges and get creative with the cluster,like BonnarLS1 did

Or figure out a way to mount their new LCD Touchscreen in the console like a RacePak. It will display 6 gauges at a time. This is what I intend to do.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Or figure out a way to mount their new LCD Touchscreen in the console like a RacePak. It will display 6 gauges at a time. This is what I intend to do.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...reenGauges.jpg
Thats slick looking...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ X2.

Longblocks together. Also, a buddy came over with the plasma cutter to notch out my frame so I can build a cold air intake and put a big filter on it. I was limited to a very small filter picking up hot air directly behind the radiator.

I'm in no rush at this point as I ran into a small delay. The Holley EFI harness does not support the stock oil pressure sending unit and, of course, the hole is a crazy thread size (16mm X 1.25) that needs adapted to a regular 1/8 npt pressure sending unit. Hopefully Murray's will have the fitting Monday for me.
I'm not exactly sure, but there's a way to remove the top half of the sensor the normal way everyone breaks them and tap them for a fitting.

EDIT: On the new Holley EFI systems is there the capacity for a 16 injector setup?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

If you go to 1:30 in this video, that's about the best idle sound I can find. That's with the cutout open (thru one muffler) and idling about 900-950 RPMs. It's not loud or lumpy. I like to creep up on my pray. With the cutout closed it goes thru a second muffler and reduces to 3" so it's VERY quiet. Like bone stock or quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UAjWXvOZos
Car looks great.
Looks like you get alot of tire seperation after the launch.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Car looks great.
Looks like you get alot of tire seperation after the launch.
I'm pretty sure that was from the splines being twisted in my slip yoke. Had my rear suspension in a bind. I was having major traction issues that day and the track was VERY sticky. Normally, the more power you put to my car, the bigger the wheelie. I've resolved the spline twist problem with a new forged slip yoke. The normal 1350 slip yokes can't take the 1.30 60's at 3900#'s.

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ X2.

I'm not exactly sure, but there's a way to remove the top half of the sensor the normal way everyone breaks them and tap them for a fitting.

EDIT: On the new Holley EFI systems is there the capacity for a 16 injector setup?
I'm not sure. I do know that the injector harness is separate from the engine harness. Maybe that's why they did it this way.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

I'm pretty sure that was from the splines being twisted in my slip yoke. Had my rear suspension in a bind. I was having major traction issues that day and the track was VERY sticky. Normally, the more power you put to my car, the bigger the wheelie. I've resolved the spline twist problem with a new forged slip yoke. The normal 1350 slip yokes can't take the 1.30 60's at 3900#'s.
Got it. lol It didn't seem right.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Restricted User

I'm surprised that the stock TH350 output shaft hasn't snapped in half yet.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Yes there is the Capacity for a 16 Injector Harness. Holley just got done with them. Bought one for a customer a little over a week ago.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tell you, that Holley is looking better and better!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
Yes there is the Capacity for a 16 Injector Harness. Holley just got done with them. Bought one for a customer a little over a week ago.
How's the price point compared to the 8 injector box?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
How's the price point compared to the 8 injector box?
I'll check on it Monday. It just a different Injector Harness. Same plug to the main hanress as the 8 injector Harness,
Old 01-22-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...reenGauges.jpg
has this always been available? how much is it?

edit - found it. $652
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/553-103/10002/-1

i wish holley would display the gauges in their software so we could buy our own screen or not even have one, instead of forcing the user to have to buy their gauges or touchscreen.

the manual does not even mention a way for me to use my existing auto meter tach or wideband gauge with the holley.

Last edited by 71 chevy; 01-22-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
has this always been available? how much is it?

edit - found it. $652
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/553-103/10002/-1

i wish holley would display the gauges in their software so we could buy our own screen or not even have one, instead of forcing the user to have to buy their gauges or touchscreen.

the manual does not even mention a way for me to use my existing auto meter tach or wideband gauge with the holley.
No reason why you can't use your existing tach. The Holley gets it's own tach signal from the ignition. The Holley also comes with it's own wideband. Sell the one you have and buy the gauge. The idea is that you do everything with this one box instead of having a million different boxes for all the different stuff. I sold my LM1 with gauge for $200. I'm sure I'll get $200 for my low imp inj driver box as well. Having everything in one place gives you the ability to log everything against each other and makes for a cleaner installation.

I agree that it would be nice if the Holley had a Gauge cluster display in the pc software but this touchscreen does alot more than just show gauges. You don't need a laptop to tune at all if you buy the touchscreen. It also logs to an SD card and can display activation switches. I'm ordering mine on Monday and will give some feedback as soon as I get it all figured out. The main reason that I decided to get it is because you can burn up $550-600 on 6 gauges. My only issue is going to be mounting it. I may have to make a plate that's flush mounted to the plastic cluster bezel rather than the stock recessed look. We'll see.

She's almost ready. Everything's back together. I still need to fill up the fluids, trans filter, put the trans pan back on, plugs and wires. Steve is going to finish up the wiring tomorrow. Should have ignition by Monday at the latest.

Originally Posted by JAX04
i tell you, that Holley is looking better and better!
You should see the wideband correction. We were having a voltage problem with LS2Formulas car that was causing the pump to run down to 34 psi (should be at about 65 psi), and the correction was hanging the injectors open keeping it from going lean. We're talking about a 170+ MPH pass in the 1/4. I was most impressed.

Quick Reply: Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88