Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a quick update. I dropped the motor and trans Sunday night and pulled the heads today and took them to the machine shop. I was really expecting to see a blown head gasket or 2. No such luck. There does seem to be a problem with one of the heads not having sealed properly to the head gasket. It is possible that from the last rebuild, my surface wasn't perfect as I didn't have them checked. The builder is going to mill the minimum to get them flat and I'll post up how much that ends up being.

With regards to the hot oil pressure, I think it has more to do with how hot it is getting because of the combustion leaking into the cooling system. At 210*F+ it drops to about 25psi at idle. Under WOT throttle it's 60+. Builder told me to leave. While the motor is out, I will be adding an Improved Performance bolt-in oil pan baffle. This is to resolve a completely unrelated issue of oil pressure loss that is common under hard acceleration due to the oil moving away from the pickup off the line. If I find bearing material in the pan, then I'll dig in farther.

Next she is going to my fabricator friend to switch over to the new T6 1.00 A/R exhaust housing, move the IC up and forward a little, delete the hood latch bracket and install the Aerocatch hood latches. This should help get some more fresh air up to the radiator.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I have missed it, but what all are you using to seal the combustion chamber? Did you just use studs and a good head gasket or did you o ring the block?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Restricted User

Standard ARP studs and stock 6.0 MLS gaskets. Going to be trying out the LS9 gaskets this go round.

On another note. The stock exhaust MLS gaskets with the copper spray didn't leak even a tiny bit of exhaust pressure upon removal inspection.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. I have been weighing the options on o-ringing the block or not. Seems like it held pretty darn well for you!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Just a quick update. I dropped the motor and trans Sunday night and pulled the heads today and took them to the machine shop. I was really expecting to see a blown head gasket or 2. No such luck. There does seem to be a problem with one of the heads not having sealed properly to the head gasket. It is possible that from the last rebuild, my surface wasn't perfect as I didn't have them checked. The builder is going to mill the minimum to get them flat and I'll post up how much that ends up being.

With regards to the hot oil pressure, I think it has more to do with how hot it is getting because of the combustion leaking into the cooling system. At 210*F+ it drops to about 25psi at idle. Under WOT throttle it's 60+. Builder told me to leave. While the motor is out, I will be adding an Improved Performance bolt-in oil pan baffle. This is to resolve a completely unrelated issue of oil pressure loss that is common under hard acceleration due to the oil moving away from the pickup off the line. If I find bearing material in the pan, then I'll dig in farther.

Next she is going to my fabricator friend to switch over to the new T6 1.00 A/R exhaust housing, move the IC up and forward a little, delete the hood latch bracket and install the Aerocatch hood latches. This should help get some more fresh air up to the radiator.
Good to hear you're getting some stuff done Los, hopefully i'll have mine ready to make some hits for some of the good weather this year and be able to join you guys back out there!!! I miss all you guys and I miss racing!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Good to hear you're getting some stuff done Los, hopefully i'll have mine ready to make some hits for some of the good weather this year and be able to join you guys back out there!!! I miss all you guys and I miss racing!
Well it still won't be the same since half of you evaporated. Lol.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Well it still won't be the same since half of you evaporated. Lol.

Hahaha, yeah, but that 60 lbs I lost off me will almost make up for the added weight from the iron block!!! If you lived closer by i'd tell you to come work out with us so we could get your raceweight down a little too! You should talk to Wiz though, I don't think his place is too far from you and he does the same stuff.

BTW, funny part about your statement is that guys like Dave and Darrell that knew me when I first moved here thought it was weird seeing me at 325 cuz I was the way I am now when I first met them, but I met you guys when I was heavy, so it's weird for you guys seeing me slimmed down and in shape.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

I remember seeing this thing waaaay back when I was a young punk with a 4cyl s-10 on here dreaming about having a turbo f-body one day. They say don't ever stop reaching for your dreams and now I've finally got one that I love. Los your build once again was an inspiration for me to get one and experience what this was all about, as I have been a chevy man all my life.

Cant wait to see you get the cobrakiller back in action!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Restricted User

Well I'm glad I decided to pull some main caps. #2 is wasted as seen below between 1 and 3 which are in good shape.

#4 was even worse pictured below to the right of #3.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I'm glad I decided to pull some main caps. #2 is wasted as seen below between 1 and 3 which are in good shape.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...8/IMAG0065.jpg

#4 was even worse pictured below to the right of #3.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...8/IMAG0066.jpg
What do you think was the cause Los? What were your clearances?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Restricted User

Stock crank with stock bearings, I'm not sure. I've decided to take it to Mike @ TEC and let him figure it out. Could be line bore from the last time. Could be flexing the stock crank. Could be wrong tolerances. I just don't want to have to pull it again for a WHILE.

Well, it looks like the heads were the culprit behind the cooling issues and pressure in the cooling system. I thought that it was a blown headgasket originally but when I took the heads off, the gasket looked good.

I brought the heads to my engine builder Monday and dropped them off (2 days before I brought the rest of the longblock). He was supposed to have the bottom end tore down today but he didn't get a chance to get to it yet. He will be doing it Tuesday for sure.

Anyway's, back to the heads. When I dropped them off, he showed me a spot where it didn't look like they had good seal on the gasket. Today I found out that he had to take .015 off them in order to get them flat which to me is a good thing as it makes me feel good about that problem being identified and resolved.

I got the bolt in oil pan baffle from Improvedracing.com today. Nice piece and should help a good bit under hard acceleration at keeping oil around the pickup.

It'll be a little while before I get to test it's functionality as my headgasket replacement turned into a full on rebuild.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

I have the same 160's in my turbo v6 and experience the same idle quality and have to tune them rich to get it to idle as well. Do you think the 120's will be enough for you at the boost levels you will be running on E85? Are you running 8 injectors (doesn't the holley ECM have the ability to run more than 8)

On a separate note I have read through your posts and picked up boosts levels as they correlate to et/MPH. I think it would be awesome to see a single post showing at what boosts levels gave you a given ET/MPH. I realize that the car has had MANY modifications along the way that will effect this, But inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks again for these posts I have really enjoyed them!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Restricted User

Well the autopsy is complete and the results are in. Crank was bent .005. When he went to do the linebore, he saw that #4 main cap was damaged. He believes that when I bent the crank the last time around, it tweaked the #4 main cap which led to the current problem this time around. He replaced the main cap and put a fresh line bore on the block. All is good now with the block. Cylinder bores were perfect.

I'm done ******* around with stock cranks. Just having him order me a stock stroke Eagle forged crank, fresh balance, new bearings and slap it back together. I do remember reading something somewhere about Eagle cranks having some issues lately. I had a 4" stroke Eagle crack on me years ago. Anyone familiar with any issues on the Eagle before he gets it ordered tomorrow?

Originally Posted by turbo6man
I have the same 160's in my turbo v6 and experience the same idle quality and have to tune them rich to get it to idle as well. Do you think the 120's will be enough for you at the boost levels you will be running on E85? Are you running 8 injectors (doesn't the holley ECM have the ability to run more than 8)

On a separate note I have read through your posts and picked up boosts levels as they correlate to et/MPH. I think it would be awesome to see a single post showing at what boosts levels gave you a given ET/MPH. I realize that the car has had MANY modifications along the way that will effect this, But inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks again for these posts I have really enjoyed them!
I believe that the 120's should get me to 1000 rwhp. I have not made that yet. Not sure how additional injectors are setup with the Holley. I haven't played with any of that yet but I shouldn't need to.

As far as boost levels, I went the fastest at 22 psi (8.98 @ 153). 17 psi got me a 9.33 @ 144ish. Please keep in mind that I have not been down the track with the Holley ECU and all of the great logging features. My first 8 sec pass came with a stock 98 PCM that would only log to 15 psi so I was just fudging the tune. Then I didn't with the AEM and that at least showed me the actual KPA values but the logger in that software is junk so data acquisition was not the best. Once I get her all back together, I should have some new, good data. Unfortunately, it wont be apples to apples. I now have a powerglide in the car with a fully functional tbrake and travel limiters that should allow me to run some solid 1.2 60's as well as perform better out the back door. I will also have a larger T6 1.00 A/R exhaust housing on her and have much more solid fuel control thanks to the Holley ECU. Hopefully I'll be ready just in time for the good air. My only concern at this point will be that the track is starting to crack down on tech and I wont be able to make very frequent passes.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I feel sorry for every one that. Can't get e85 easily lol. All the kum and go's here have it. Makes me want to switch everyone I get gas haha
Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by mpatton
I feel sorry for every one that. Can't get e85 easily lol. All the kum and go's here have it. Makes me want to switch everyone I get gas haha
It used to be like .30 less per gallon than regular unleaded around here. Has been steadily catching up. This weekend it was like .03 more (3.67) per gallon than regular but I'd pay $5.00 with a smile on my face.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Wait so you go 8.98 in the 1/4 and your track doesn't require you to even have a roll bar let alone a roll cage?!?!?! Nothing against you, but I don't know if that's cool that they allow it to happen or just plain stupid.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
Even though my 408 car came with a eagle, I won't be putting one back in when it fails, used a stock crank in the 370 crank, should be higher quality then the eagle junk.
LME has used Eagle cranks for years and have had good success.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have doubts why do it? Get something else that you have confidence in.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Restricted User

My understanding is that they are the only game in town for stock stroke.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My understanding is that they are the only game in town for stock stroke.
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2680-k1...22-stroke.aspx

https://texas-speed.com/p-469-callie...-crankshaft.as
Seems like the only other options, outside of the stock LSA stuff...

Quick Reply: Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88