Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going from 6.30's to 5.80's-70's is going to be a good leap. You will appx. 18psi.to get you there with your new setup.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
it will be fast! hold on
Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
nice... i like your builds!!!
I hope so and thanks for the kind words.

I picked up the short block today. It's in the back of the blazer. I'll get some pictures later

The cam was also delivered today from Livernois so I am ready to go.

Just have to get another Formula off the lift tonite and get my car over to the shop. I hope to have it running by Monday or Tuesday at the latest unless I run into some major problems.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey buddy good luck on your projec...Hope to see you at the track soon.I'm also close In finishing my...
Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I'll have to cross that bridge here soon. I'm going to see how far I can go on 15 psi initially. Then I am going to run a 4 bar map sensor and cut the resolution in half. This isn't nearly as horrible as it sounds as the 2 bar OS from HP tuners VE table has about double the resolution available with the aftermarket EMS's. If I can't get that working solid for some reason, then I will tackle a Megasquirt II conversion.

Right about the time that I start pushing this setup hard, my friends twin 78 setup should be wrapping up and I will have to emerse myself in BS3 for his car. I'd rather not be messing with 2 new and different (to me) EMS's at the same time. My head could explode .
u talkin about darrells car? that thing is sick

if u get it runnin by tuesday when do u think it will be at the track?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome man,...best wishes with the build. I see your not gonna run the fiber tuned anymore. That stay'd on the solid roller car?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM
9 Second Club

man you def dont f around with getting things done.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Glad to see this Part 2 of the build coming around! Going to be fun to watch!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Going from 6.30's to 5.80's-70's is going to be a good leap. You will appx. 18psi.to get you there with your new setup.
I've been 6.0x's in the 1/8 in this chassis. If I can reach my goal at only 18 psi, I'll be stocked.

Originally Posted by turbo_ase
Hey buddy good luck on your projec...Hope to see you at the track soon.I'm also close In finishing my...
Nice.You bought Dman's car, right?

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
u talkin about darrells car? that thing is sick

if u get it runnin by tuesday when do u think it will be at the track?
No. Darrell's car has been built and running for over a year. I had no involvement in that project. It's a 408 w/ twin 67's and A2A. He hasn't pushed that setup very hard yet.

Steve's is going to be a 422 w/ twin 78's A2W.

As for the track, probably a couple of weeks provided I don't run into trouble. I want to give it a good solid break-in.

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Awesome man,...best wishes with the build. I see your not gonna run the fiber tuned anymore. That stay'd on the solid roller car?
We are either going to really beef up my fibertuned or we are going to go a different route which I can't disclose for a few days. Some things have to come together yet.

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
man you def dont f around with getting things done.
I'm very impatient and extremely resourceful.

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Glad to see this Part 2 of the build coming around! Going to be fun to watch!
Thanks

Here's the shortblock.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 180 Likes on 118 Posts

That is coming along nicely.

How much power will a TH350 hold? I thought above about 750hp they have issues.....

I have an Art Carr 8" 4500 stall convertor setup for a TH350 I'd like to use on a turbo project I'm doing. GT88 on a 364ci iron forged shortblock/TFS 220cc as cast heads, Virginia Speed 23x/23x cam, Cobra 8.8" IRS diff 3.08 gears/spool. 2900lb '93 Mazda RX-7 (another one) I want to go 8's and keep it a "street car."
Old 10-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah that's mine now...Hopefully getting runing in the next month or so,right now I'm working in getting the right Tranny[4L80E] is going to be almost a DD car with all the ACC we live on a hot state so you need that AC..
Hopefully we get to me each other the next time you are in PBIR
Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Restricted User

The plan today was for me to get done with work early, go to Steve's and get as much of the longblock put together as I could. I need all the covers from the old motor that was still in the car at my house. Then when we got enough people after work, go get my car, push it on the trailer and bring it over to Steve's for dismantling. Slap the covers on the new motor and throw it back in the car.

So here's what actually happened. I got to Steve's and rounded up all of the head studs, washers and nuts. Cleaned them up real good and started to thread them in. Hmmmmm, 16 of the studs were way short. Only 4 looked right. Turns out the Iron blocks are like the older LS1's. My studs came out of my LS2 408. Called Mike @ TEC. He checked around and called me back 5 min later. "Come on down and I'll trade you". Mike for the save!!!! Went back and slipped the cam in, mounted the oil pump, put in lifters and cups, and popped the heads on. By this time everyone started showing up and we brought the car over. Got it up on the lift and took our first look around at the carnage. The hole in the middle of the bottom of the oil pan was so big, that it took us a second to realize that it was there. The first thing we noticed was the hole in the side of the block that kicked the side out so much that it bent out the lip of the pan and broke an ear off. I also blew the AN screw-in fitting out of the threads on the other side of the pan. We stripped the motor down and decided to take a peak inside before junking it. Popped off the heads and #3 piston and rod were MIA. Just the base circle of the rod was still attached to the crank. #7 had a broken ring land.

On the other side, there was no piston damage but #6 was full of milkshake. Looked like maybe the cylinder somehow got full of water.

The water in all the other cylinders came from the heads when we removed them.

Also the timing chain cam sprocket bolts were all loose and bent. I did loctite them when I checked to see if it was still the stock cam and I replaced the chain. Cam sprocket was a bit beat up.

So, I need:
Fbody Oil Pan
Oil drain AN fitting
Oil Pickup tube
Cam sprocket

Originally Posted by gnx7
That is coming along nicely.

How much power will a TH350 hold? I thought above about 750hp they have issues.....

I have an Art Carr 8" 4500 stall convertor setup for a TH350 I'd like to use on a turbo project I'm doing. GT88 on a 364ci iron forged shortblock/TFS 220cc as cast heads, Virginia Speed 23x/23x cam, Cobra 8.8" IRS diff 3.08 gears/spool. 2900lb '93 Mazda RX-7 (another one) I want to go 8's and keep it a "street car."
This is the same transmission. Please excuse my buddy's comentary in the begining. It took him like 2 weeks to get the video up, *******.

60' 1.395
330' 3.886
1/8 5.981
MPH 117.20
1000' 7.791
1/4 9.330
MPH 145.94

That RX7 should be a badass setup.

Originally Posted by turbo_ase
Yeah that's mine now...Hopefully getting runing in the next month or so,right now I'm working in getting the right Tranny[4L80E] is going to be almost a DD car with all the ACC we live on a hot state so you need that AC..
Hopefully we get to me each other the next time you are in PBIR
Look forward to it. I am out there all the time. Maybe we could line em up.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

That sounds good...
Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Restricted User

I set off to assemble as much of the motor as I could with what I had while it was on the stand. Just trying to maintain forward progress.

I found a good stock timing chain sprag and went about putting the front of the motor together. I used the, faith based, dot to dot system to put in the cam as I have no method of advancing or retarding it anyway. I did find the longest cam bolts that would tighten up and put red loctite from the first thread to the last one. I have seen too many of these cam bolts back out and shear off as of late. Got the oil pump on and put the front cover bolts finger tight. Put the rear cover on finger tight and that's until I can get an oil pan.

Next up was the top of the motor. Put the stock back on snugged nice and tight. Torque specs for the rockers from the factory tend to not be enough. I make them tight. Popped in the cam and crank sensors and g.ot the valve covers and coils on.

On to the intake. I can not express how important it is to inspect the inside of an intake that has been on a motor that has experience catastrophic failure. I shook the intake and heard some marbles rolling around in there. I tipped the intake towards the ground and cracked open the throttle blade. About 1/4 qt of oil and metal poured out. Spent about 45 minutes cleaning the inside of the intake and slapped it on.

At about 9:30 PM I got a call from Dave the Welder, I was able to steal his oil pan and pickup tube. He was also able to weld the oil drain AN fitting on for me. Saving me the time and expense of having to buy a new one. By the time we got done with that, I was burned out for the night.

Now that I have all the missing components read to go, I can finish up the instal. I hope to have it in tonite or tomorrow night at the latest.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good man, like someone else said your project is my motivation to go turbo, but when i did the math it didnt add up so I have to go slow and probably go nitrous for a while.

This build should be badass, you should lose the weight mini tub and see if you can compete in a 275 class.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

looks like your on your way!

question, have you had the turbo checked out yet?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

been following your **** for a while, having to live my car fetish through your build
Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
Looking good man, like someone else said your project is my motivation to go turbo, but when i did the math it didnt add up so I have to go slow and probably go nitrous for a while.

This build should be badass, you should lose the weight mini tub and see if you can compete in a 275 class.
I could stand to lose a 100 lbs myself. I will be putting us both on a diet here soon.

Originally Posted by toretto
looks like your on your way!

question, have you had the turbo checked out yet?
I checked it and it looks good. If it gives me trouble, then I'll send it off to be gone thru.

Originally Posted by Reject
been following your **** for a while, having to live my car fetish through your build
My itch doesn't get scratched until after the car is running. Tuning is what I do and enjoy. All this wrench turning **** is for the birds.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you and me both, sept when my car is done i tear it apart and do it all over again. i have more fun building than racing haha
Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Restricted User

Almost done. Should fire up tomorrow. I need a water temp sensor, set of plugs, some water wetter, and I have to come up with a bypass for the stock fuel filter. The stock fuel feed is being used as the return so I want to get the filter out of there. Then hook up the harness and drop the car on it. Also going to replace the left front caliper that has been hung up for the last year. I haven't been dying to buy a new one and spend an afternoon grinding for the Pro Stars. Turns out that Steve still has his stock ones that were good when he took them off and they are already ground down. Getting excited.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I could stand to lose a 100 lbs myself. I will be putting us both on a diet here soon.
When I said you should lose some weight I didnt mean you personally, I meant the the car.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quick Reply: Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88