Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
My understanding is that they are the only game in town for stock stroke.
K1 makes a stock stroke, as well as callies and lunati. I would get the K1 over the eagle, heard good things about K1 and price is similar. The callies compstar is a couple hundred dollars more and the dragonslayer and lunati cranks are around 2g.

BTW Los, i'd be really surprised if your car wasn't already making 1000hp on the 8.9 @ 153 pass, isn't your race weight like 3800 - 4000 lbs or something like that? If it's not at 1000hp, it's damn close, so I hope those 120's will handle the new found power you should gain from the bigger exhaust housing.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
K1 makes a stock stroke, as well as callies and lunati. I would get the K1 over the eagle, heard good things about K1 and price is similar. The callies compstar is a couple hundred dollars more and the dragonslayer and lunati cranks are around 2g.
I got the eagle for $710. I may have Mike turn it .010 right out of the box to make sure journals are perfect. Been told that's the only major issue to watch for.

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
BTW Los, i'd be really surprised if your car wasn't already making 1000hp on the 8.9 @ 153 pass, isn't your race weight like 3800 - 4000 lbs or something like that? If it's not at 1000hp, it's damn close, so I hope those 120's will handle the new found power you should gain from the bigger exhaust housing.
At the flywheel maybe, but not to the road. Car weighs 3850-3900 depending on how much fuel is in it.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

At the flywheel maybe, but not to the road. Car weighs 3850-3900 depending on how much fuel is in it.
I'd beg to differ bro, i'd say 950 - 1000 rwhp all day long with 153 mph trap on a vehicle with your raceweight. But regardless, get her going again and see what she does, worst case scenario you keep the boost down until you can upgrade the injectors, not a huge deal.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Restricted User

I hate waiting. I'm coming out of my skin. I was going to try to get the intercooler moved while I wait but the peer pressure is insisting that I wait to do it until I get the motor back together and do it all in one step.

Picking up the motor tomorrow. Should be back on the road by this weekend.

The Improved Racing Oil Pan Baffle System bolted right in without any modification to the pickup or the pan.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Hope you get her up without any major hitches. That baffle system looked pretty legit...guess you'll let us know how it does lol
Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
8 Second Club

Default truck manifolds

Gday mate, very interesting thread. I have a question for you. You mentioned earlier that you would change the position of your turbo if you were t have your time again. I have just purchased a pt 88 for my build, and i was planning on mounting the the turbo on the passenger side{opposite to us} up high behind the headlight. Being that the turbo is mounted more to one side, will the different lengths of merge pipes affect anything? And will the merge pipes still be the same size in od? Also, what power should i limit the stock bottom end too? Cheers and thanks for a great read, and good luck.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by snip
Gday mate, very interesting thread. I have a question for you. You mentioned earlier that you would change the position of your turbo if you were t have your time again. I have just purchased a pt 88 for my build, and i was planning on mounting the the turbo on the passenger side{opposite to us} up high behind the headlight. Being that the turbo is mounted more to one side, will the different lengths of merge pipes affect anything? And will the merge pipes still be the same size in od? Also, what power should i limit the stock bottom end too? Cheers and thanks for a great read, and good luck.
I don't believe that uneven length pipes make much of a difference so I wouldn't hesitate to build a kit with the turbo in the location that you mention. 2.5" pipe merging into the T4 flange should work nicely. My stock bottom end let go at 15-17 psi and 6500 RPM. That was BONE stock. No rod bolts. No cam. Others have had better/worse luck. Unfortunately, you really don't know when you've reached the threshold until you cross it.

Got the motor back and got some numbers from the engine builder.

Bore is still 4.030 (untouched since last build)
Eagle Crank is same 3.622
Pistons come out of the hole .007
The Childs & Albert Rods are 6.125
Wiseco pistons have 25cc dish
Heads were milled to 58cc
LS9 headgaskets are .051 compressed and 4.100 bore

I'm coming up with just under 9.2:1 static. I thought that it would be higher.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

^is that where you wanted the cr to be? if not what was your intended/hopeful ratio?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 6techniques
^is that where you wanted the cr to be? if not what was your intended/hopeful ratio?
I thought that my compression was around 9.1 before. When I pulled the motor out due to the 2 problems I was having (high coolant temp and low hot idle oil pressure), he ended up having to mill the heads down .015 to get them flat which brought the CC's down to 58cc. I think that the larger head gasket bore diameter of the LS9 gaskets helps cushion some of the SCR vs the smaller diameter opening on the 6.0L head gasket.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:17 AM
8 Second Club

Gday buddy, ihave anothe rquestion for you. Regarding the ls1 truck manifolds, ive read that i need 02 und up manifolds baecause that havnt egr ports. I have to get these imported from the states as we dont have truck manifolds in oz. I have found a pair of 1999 truck manifolds on ebay cheap, will these be ok, what are the differences. If i dont purchase these , i dont know where to purchase the right ones , cheers
Old 10-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by snip
Gday buddy, ihave anothe rquestion for you. Regarding the ls1 truck manifolds, ive read that i need 02 und up manifolds baecause that havnt egr ports. I have to get these imported from the states as we dont have truck manifolds in oz. I have found a pair of 1999 truck manifolds on ebay cheap, will these be ok, what are the differences. If i dont purchase these , i dont know where to purchase the right ones , cheers
The older ones have the EGR port so you would have to cut it off and weld the hole up or make a plate to cap it off and weld it on. Personally I would cut it off as there is a good bit of pressure and heat there that could end up breaking it off.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 AM
8 Second Club

Default rre egr

Thanks buddy , appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Restricted User

May as well post an update.

I got the motor Tuesday night and started working on it Wednesday. When I first built the turbo setup a few years back, I ran into a problem right from the get go with melting the poly motor mounts. At the time, no one made a solid motor mount replacement for the poly mounts. We ended up making a set which turned out to be a bit more difficult than we anticipated due to the offsets and the need for perfect alignment since they have no play. After a great deal of tweaking, we got them on and everything seemed to work right. Problem is that I didn't mark them from side to side and top and bottom. When I dropped off the motor to the builder/machinist, I told him to mark them before he removed them if he did in fact end up having to remove them. Well, I guess that he forgot. So when I got the motor back, the mounts were in a box with the bolts. I took a stab at putting them on the way I thought was correct but once we got the motor up in the car on the kmember with the transmission attached and everything, it was obviously crooked. At that point it was pretty late and I was burnt out and disgusted so I went home and decided to buy a set of professionally made solid mounts that are now readily avialable. Only problem being that I have Steve's (LS2Formula) garage and lift tied up with my car and he really needs it back to but his car back together after the fire from a couple of weeks ago. So I got home at 11:30 PM EST and PM'd Motovative to see if he could overnight me a set. Within 30 min I had a reply and confirmation and they just got here today. Hope to be on the road tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

nice. i have the motorvative mounts as well, theyre nice.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by I_Need_Land
nice. i have the motorvative mounts as well, theyre nice.
LS2Formula has them on his car running 7's. I have no doubts that they work.

She fired up tonight with little effort and strong oil pressure. Tomorrow we verify timing, bleed brakes, check transmission fluid and fill her up with water. Of course it's supposed to rain all weekend but if all goes to plan, she should be stretching her legs tomorrow night.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got her buttoned back up! I can't believe I've read this thread for what seems like years and I've never responded / subscribed to it! Did you decide to just run with the T4 housing for now or are you going to redo it soon to fit the T6?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Teching In

this might a little late but im looking to get the same turbo and i too am just learning about them. i can get the precision turbo for the list price on the site, but i just want to make sure its the same. do you have the part number by any chance ?
im looking at the ptb700-3025.
sorry for the stupid question and im glad someone like you is willing to take the time to share this stuff with people on the web. i have a small block chev with a 671 blower in my mazda that lays frame right now and i have a lq4 was gonna go with a F2 procharger but the turbo i think is more street tuner friendly
Old 10-08-2011, 05:49 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May as well post an update.

I got the motor Tuesday night and started working on it Wednesday. When I first built the turbo setup a few years back, I ran into a problem right from the get go with melting the poly motor mounts. At the time, no one made a solid motor mount replacement for the poly mounts. We ended up making a set which turned out to be a bit more difficult than we anticipated due to the offsets and the need for perfect alignment since they have no play. After a great deal of tweaking, we got them on and everything seemed to work right. Problem is that I didn't mark them from side to side and top and bottom. When I dropped off the motor to the builder/machinist, I told him to mark them before he removed them if he did in fact end up having to remove them. Well, I guess that he forgot. So when I got the motor back, the mounts were in a box with the bolts. I took a stab at putting them on the way I thought was correct but once we got the motor up in the car on the kmember with the transmission attached and everything, it was obviously crooked. At that point it was pretty late and I was burnt out and disgusted so I went home and decided to buy a set of professionally made solid mounts that are now readily avialable. Only problem being that I have Steve's (LS2Formula) garage and lift tied up with my car and he really needs it back to but his car back together after the fire from a couple of weeks ago. So I got home at 11:30 PM EST and PM'd Motovative to see if he could overnight me a set. Within 30 min I had a reply and confirmation and they just got here today. Hope to be on the road tomorrow.
Customer service in the automotive aftermarket is extremely lacking. When I find businesses that have great service I stick with them.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's very very true. I wont mention the name but I had the worst service through a vendor for 1,500$ in parts a couple months ago. No tracking number, no help over the phone, nothing just order and wait basically. Its a larger company also, ill never order through em again.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by s8cmazda
this might a little late but im looking to get the same turbo and i too am just learning about them. i can get the precision turbo for the list price on the site, but i just want to make sure its the same. do you have the part number by any chance ?
im looking at the ptb700-3025.
sorry for the stupid question and im glad someone like you is willing to take the time to share this stuff with people on the web. i have a small block chev with a 671 blower in my mazda that lays frame right now and i have a lq4 was gonna go with a F2 procharger but the turbo i think is more street tuner friendly
Honestly, I have no clue. It's a PT88 that was manufactured in 2001. I bought it from a buddy that had it on his Buick T-Type. It is not a PT88-47.

Took her out last night for a couple of test drives which were both failures but the next one should be a good one. First time the driveshaft was rubbing on a loop strap for my fuel feed. Caught it quick. Amazing how much the new motor mounts moved ****. Rerouted it and went for another ride. No noises so started to lean on her. POW! Charge pipe blew off the throttle body and hit the radiator clamp and knocked the throttle linkage off. Got that all worked out and should be bringing her home tonight if the weather breaks

Quick Reply: Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88