Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^You don't have an access hatch? You could pull the pump out with no problem and if there is a noticeable plastic piece broken off you should be able to see it even with a full tank. I know when I replaced my pump my tank was full and you could see down to the bottom as long as it was still.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
^^^You don't have an access hatch? You could pull the pump out with no problem and if there is a noticeable plastic piece broken off you should be able to see it even with a full tank. I know when I replaced my pump my tank was full and you could see down to the bottom as long as it was still.
I do have an access hatch. The pump is external. Hence the bung that we welded in the bottom of the tank. If there is a loose piece of plastic around there somewhere, I don't know that I would see it or find it in there. Then there is the issue of getting it out of the tank once I find it. It's a pain in the ***.

Sorry, it's been a while since I updated this thread.

The fueling problem was not an obstruction. MagnaFuel said that it's vapor lock as the fuel was getting too hot and boiling in the tank. Sounds good doesn't it. Their solution was to add a fuel cooler on the retun side. I believe that much of the heat was being caused from using the stock feed line for the return. Right in that area where the stock feedline runs down the frame is the same area where my 4" DP exits the engine compartment. Fuel line and DP were within 4" of each other for a good 3-4 feet before my DP crosses to the other side. Now I have run a new -6 return with hose down the passenger side. I have not had the problem since but the ambient temps have dropped 10-20* since the last time that it did it. Can't be sure if that problem is resolved but one can only hope.

So far a best of 9.57 @ 142 @ 14psi and 18* of timing with the boost jumping around all over the place. WG diaphragm is torn. Ordered a new one today.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Sorry, it's been a while since I updated this thread.

The fueling problem was not an obstruction. MagnaFuel said that it's vapor lock as the fuel was getting too hot and boiling in the tank. Sounds good doesn't it. Their solution was to add a fuel cooler on the retun side. I believe that much of the heat was being caused from using the stock feed line for the return. Right in that area where the stock feedline runs down the frame is the same area where my 4" DP exits the engine compartment. Fuel line and DP were within 4" of each other for a good 3-4 feet before my DP crosses to the other side. Now I have run a new -6 return with hose down the passenger side. I have not had the problem since but the ambient temps have dropped 10-20* since the last time that it did it. Can't be sure if that problem is resolved but one can only hope.

So far a best of 9.57 @ 142 @ 14psi and 18* of timing with the boost jumping around all over the place. WG diaphragm is torn. Ordered a new one today.

Well I am glad your liking the controller. Something I will look into at some point for myself. What fuel pump are you running again? I think I own the xl750 which I have yet to install. I am running -10 and -8 return so I hope if your issue is too small of line,... that I won't have the same problem.

9.50's and 140's are sick man.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Well I am glad your liking the controller. Something I will look into at some point for myself. What fuel pump are you running again? I think I own the xl750 which I have yet to install. I am running -10 and -8 return so I hope if your issue is too small of line,... that I won't have the same problem.

9.50's and 140's are sick man.
I'm running a single MagnaFuel MP-4301 external pump. It has -8 on both sides but I run -10 from tank to prefilter. Prefilter adapts from -10 to -8 into the pump (no hose) then from -8 to -10 into the post filter (again no hose) and then -10 to the rails. The Aeromotive regulator is -10 in but I have it adapted down to -8 from the fuel rail and it has a -6 return. MagnaFuel said that the line sizes are fine.

My goal for the car is an 8.90. I should be able to get there with the current launches and a little ramp. Hoping to get there before 20 psi.

I heard something about you changing focus to the mile.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

We got the solid mounts in. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ***!

Just to be clear, We are not doing the pedestal type solid mounts. My friend fabricated steel mounts that attach to a normal BMR Turbo Kmember. And no, he wont build them for anyone else. The amount of time required to make them and the liability that could be associated with it makes it not worth it. Also, becasue the steel doesn't flex like the poly/clamshell type mount, it is not very forgiving at all as it pertains to alignment. I think that my motor moved up 1/2 inch as there is no sag either.

Changed the break-in oil. Looked good.

Also got the CO2 filled today, found the fittings required in order to backfill the 10oz bottle from a 15lb mother bottle, and got it all hooked up. Works well.

Gotta do a little tuning tomorrow. She is a little rich up top right now.

I just need a set of tires and I'm ready to give her hell.
Just wait until you have to take the trans out with the solid mounts

Did you have to do anything to get your trans to line up to the crossmember?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Restricted User

Just wait until you have to take the trans out with the solid mounts

Did you have to do anything to get your trans to line up to the crossmember?
I can drop the kmember with turbo and all in under 30 min with the way I have it setup. It's not worth the effort to pull the trans by itself.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

I can drop the kmember with turbo and all in under 30 min with the way I have it setup. It's not worth the effort to pull the trans by itself.
haha, lucky you
Old 11-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Restricted User

Weather last night was spectacular over here at PBIR. Unfortunately I wasn't able to exploit it. My car was breaking up on the first 2 passes. I changed the plugs and gapped them tighter. 3rd pass I blew the tires off on the line but got back in it and it seemed to be running well again. 4th pass came out real lazy and felt lazy going down the track. 9.84 @ 142 w/ 1.45 60'. Came back to the pits, looked at the log and the boost was down everywhere (12-13 psi). Checked the CO2 and the bottle was empty . It was full when I got there and my last fill lasted for a few outings with a leak in the wastegate. I started looking around and the line going from the wastegate to the AMS MAP sensor laid itself on the hotpipe and melted all the way thru. Didn't make anymore passes. Atleast she got home under her own power.

Definetly gotta put a dump on the muffler. When we drained the pump gas it had to be well over 100*F.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you're getting it sorted out. when you go to the msII what are you going to use for the spark control? the ms, or like the msd 6010 box?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by brandoz28
sounds like you're getting it sorted out. when you go to the msII what are you going to use for the spark control? the ms, or like the msd 6010 box?
Not sure. Either the MSII or the stock PCM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Hey LOS[Carlos]I think I'll saw you passing by SOUTHERN and 441 on friday.We havent met yet but reconice your car and It sounds nice..
Can't wait for mine to be done also getting close..By the way the TWIN project is SICK..

Hey if you go MSII don't forget that it could run your SPARK also..
Old 11-29-2009, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

What's the deal with CO2?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by turbo_ase
Hey LOS[Carlos]I think I'll saw you passing by SOUTHERN and 441 on friday.We havent met yet but reconice your car and It sounds nice..
Can't wait for mine to be done also getting close..By the way the TWIN project is SICK..
Yep, that was me. I was running around all frustrated trying to get ready for the track and it seemed that I couldn't get anything done. I made it finally.

Hey if you go MSII don't forget that it could run your SPARK also..
Yeah. I intend to use it for spark as well but if it gives me trouble, I'll let the stock pCM handle it.

What's the deal with CO2?
It's used on the top of the wastegate valve to control boost with the AMS500 controller. It's not required but is more consistant.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, good to know
Old 11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doing a very similar build what are you using for lifters?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by blazin
Doing a very similar build what are you using for lifters?
Caddy lifters I believe.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

LOS quick question I saw in need2speed that you did your magic in somebody's car PCM
I hav a little problem remember the xtra engine well thats going in my other mustang the
problem is that the PCM that I got It came out of a 2002 corvette it was stick I'm runinng a 4L60E in it...Question could that be programable to run the 4L60E...
Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Restricted User

LOS quick question I saw in need2speed that you did your magic in somebody's car PCM
I hav a little problem remember the xtra engine well thats going in my other mustang the
problem is that the PCM that I got It came out of a 2002 corvette it was stick I'm runinng a 4L60E in it...Question could that be programable to run the 4L60E...
I believe so. I've never done that but I believe that it just requires that a complete A4 tune be written onto the PCM.

Unfortunately, this morning I discovered that my HPTuners box shorted out. I have to ship it back and see if it can be fixed but I'm thinking they are going to make me buy a replacement. I was using Jeremy's box last night. He has his own for his truck.

Anyway, you just get a stock A4 tune and copy all your tables onto it and do a "write entire" to it. Not sure sure how the credits would work though. The math gets fuzzy. I'd have to contact HPTuners and make sure.

I picked up a smoking deal on a 60mm JGS Wastegate this weekend at the PRI Show, thanks to RPS. Also big thanks to SLVRSNK54 for grabbing it for me on Saturday afternoon. The guys from JGS wouldn't part with it until the end of the show (Saturday) and we went on Friday. Andy grabbed it when he went back up to pick up his car.
This one:

So anyways, these JGS wastegates are very cool in that they dont use a stupid diaphragm like all the others. Instead, there is a piston inside that is used for the boost/CO2 signals on either side for very solid boost control. My biggest problem with the XO2 gate has been maintaining solid boost with the CO2. The gate would bounce around almost 2 psi during the pass. I'm told that the AMS controller should be accurate to .1 psi. We'll see.

Here is a picture of the JGS piece (left) and the XO2 piece (of ****(right)). They are both called 60mm wastegates but you can see that all the dimensions are different.

It would have been much easier for Lou (my friend and fellow racer at the muffler shop) if I had removed the hotside pipe and brought it to him but that would have meant that I had to take my car apart soooo........it was harder for Lou. Regardless, he managed to cut the old flange off.

Because the JGS gate is slightly taller and the old gate was already hanging pretty low, Lou made me a short extension with a little more pitch to the back. The angle helps me to pickup a little more ground clearance.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

sexy...
Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

hows the jgs compare to a tial 60

Quick Reply: Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88