Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

L92 w/ GM cts-v s/c?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L92 w/ GM cts-v s/c?

Ok, has anyone done something like the following?

I have the L92 engine out of a 2007 Caddy ESV that I am transplanting into a 4x4.
It was 403hp/417tq stock.
This engine has VVT, but none of the E85 or cylinder shutoff.

What I am wanting to do is install a s/c from a new CTS-V, possibly something like a MAST cam, different ECU and a set of Doug Thorley headers.

Has anyone done this?
Any thoughts as to power and tq?
Would the VVT cause any issues when running FI or vice versa?

Lastly, does anyone know if the caddy s/c is shorter than the truck intake, and if so by how much?

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa.... TTMFT!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Teching In

cant believe no one has done this yet? Nor any replies?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a thread floating around here by one of the sponsors, Speartech. They did an Eaton TVS 2300 from a supercharged ZR1 Corvette into an older Camaro, I think. Pretty sure they used a 6.0L LS2 block and all the Corvette accessories. It won't answer all of your questions, but it's a good place to start.

The OEM GM supercharges from the CTS-V (TVS 1900) and the ZR1 (TVS 2300) haven't really caught on that well. It seems like everyone wants to build their own turbo system or buy a a ProCharger kit because in the end, you can generally make more power... and that's what everyone wants. They also have lower hood clearance, and a lot of guys throwing money around on FI here generally have an F-Body, Corvette or GTO - all with limited hood/cowl clearance.

With all that said, I am all about using the TVS 1900 or 2300 from the stock GM applications. The parts are relatively cheap from GM, and you can't beat OEM reliability. Plus, the availability of less-expensive used parts when you're building your system can help you save a couple bucks. If your vehicle is on the heavy side, you'll also benefit from near-peak torque very low in the power band.

Do a search and you'll find a number of threads on ideas similar to yours.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks Kat,
I did a search but didnt find anything thus my repost. If you do come across it please let me know
I too am more into longevity and ease of replacement parts as this isnt a racer.
I just want all the tq I can get, and keep even when in 8000' altitude driving in the mountains.
My truck intake doesnt clear my truck hood, and I thing the s/c will clear though.
Im just not sure what effect if any the VVT has in a s/c application? I would think the timing would still be of benefit, but dont know for sure.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Launching!

most people would have to change the hood
and if your gonna do that go bigger
for example 3.3 whipple
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Teching In

For me, the 1900 from the caddy will most likely be fine.
My engine stock was 403/417, and if I can get it slightly above the caddy figures of 558/551 I will be happy.

Any idea though what a cam, headers, no cats and a custom ecu would add to the caddy figures?

Maybe at least 40hp and same for tq? That would put me at the 600 figure and still retain mostly stock GM parts.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feast your eyes - there's lots of pics!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rger-swap.html

Originally Posted by RovinC
Thanks Kat,
I did a search but didnt find anything thus my repost. If you do come across it please let me know
I too am more into longevity and ease of replacement parts as this isnt a racer.
I just want all the tq I can get, and keep even when in 8000' altitude driving in the mountains.
My truck intake doesnt clear my truck hood, and I thing the s/c will clear though.
Im just not sure what effect if any the VVT has in a s/c application? I would think the timing would still be of benefit, but dont know for sure.

Quick Reply: L92 w/ GM cts-v s/c?