Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo street cars.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Twin turbo street cars.

This might sound like a half retarded question. But what kinda fuel mileage do you guys get just cruising.. I know when you hammer it all the time obviously it won't be too great..
I am just trying to see how radical I can go and still get decent mileage. I want to try and at least get 15 so I can park my truck and just cruise the car.. It's an iron 6.0 truck heads, 61mm turbos, FLT 4l80e, just trying to make my cam decision..
Thanks guys
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car picked up alot but was a 4cyl,but been told it good for all motors on milage. Think your best bet be have someone that daylie drives there turbo car to chime in. And I think alot depends on your cam choice and tune. Best of luck.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you lock up the converter on highway and stay out of boost then you should be able to get very good mileage. Obviously other factors will come in a bit like gear ratio choice,stall converter and efficiency,compression ratio. But basically don't go wot and it shouldn't drink too deeply. Got wot and stay into it with it setup to high boost and start making big hp it will drink pretty deeply. If you want exact mileage numbers don't have any on my build. I did build mine to be mostly a street car and in the city ,at least my city you are not into boost much at all or for very long. If I want to play with the car have to go into idustrial areas or out of town. You don't unleash a big hp tt car that often unless you like jail or want to be in the morgue.
But seriously a tt car can get decent mileage.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Launching!

some gto guys are getting up towards 30
Old 02-11-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is good to hear. I know cam and gear will play a big roll, but thats kinda why I was asking.. I want to see just how aggressive to get before I will kill the whole purpose of building this car.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I tried to chose things to keep my car streetable and enjoyable to drive in even heavy traffic. I was sick of my t56 and clutch so went to auto swap. Now don't mind heavy traffic anymore. No more floater rattle, no more misshifts, shortshifts,hitting the limiter.
No more slaves or masters or drill mods.
I chose a pretty streetable stall, overdrive trans for highway use. 3.54 gear were lowest could go numerically with the dana but don't like really low gears off boost like some guys run. They might help traction but don't really care. My car spends a lot of time off boost in the city. Went to 9.5 compression. Again figure that was good ratio off boost and still low enough to work well with pump gas and alc injection.
Went with pretty mellow cam..lift under .590 with 1.8 rockers, not too wild on duration and really no lope at all. And no low end surge,easy to tune as well and nice powerband.
So by making these type of choices kept the car pretty streetable. And I realize whats streetable to me might not be same to other people. Some guys can drive a race car on the street and be happy. I am too old for that. I kept my comfort stuff, stereo, air,sway bars,soundproofing..etc. Car is a fat pig but hey still goes pretty good with the power its got on tap.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See thats what i'm looking for. I've got a '65 GTO that I drive once in awhile, its a 4 speed, big motor, big cam, its fun...
But I want something I can get in turn the key turn the stereo up and drive it to the track, or drive it to my lake house and not worry about it..
I still however want to make like 7-800 to the tires..

How much power does yours make?what size turbos?

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I tried to chose things to keep my car streetable and enjoyable to drive in even heavy traffic. I was sick of my t56 and clutch so went to auto swap. Now don't mind heavy traffic anymore. No more floater rattle, no more misshifts, shortshifts,hitting the limiter.
No more slaves or masters or drill mods.
I chose a pretty streetable stall, overdrive trans for highway use. 3.54 gear were lowest could go numerically with the dana but don't like really low gears off boost like some guys run. They might help traction but don't really care. My car spends a lot of time off boost in the city. Went to 9.5 compression. Again figure that was good ratio off boost and still low enough to work well with pump gas and alc injection.
Went with pretty mellow cam..lift under .590 with 1.8 rockers, not too wild on duration and really no lope at all. And no low end surge,easy to tune as well and nice powerband.
So by making these type of choices kept the car pretty streetable. And I realize whats streetable to me might not be same to other people. Some guys can drive a race car on the street and be happy. I am too old for that. I kept my comfort stuff, stereo, air,sway bars,soundproofing..etc. Car is a fat pig but hey still goes pretty good with the power its got on tap.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by StrokerTA
See thats what i'm looking for. I've got a '65 GTO that I drive once in awhile, its a 4 speed, big motor, big cam, its fun...
But I want something I can get in turn the key turn the stereo up and drive it to the track, or drive it to my lake house and not worry about it..
I still however want to make like 7-800 to the tires..

How much power does yours make?what size turbos?
Standard aps turbos not sure the mm of them but they are rated to do 1000 engine hp or 800rwhp thru auto but am upgrading them likely right soon to 70 lb min or 1400 engine hp max. I also have 300 shot max of spray direct port on the car.
These numbers are max potential and really have no desire at this time to go past 800rwhp or so for daily driving and possibly go for 1000rwhp for dyno bragging mostly. If do want to go past 1000rwhp would build LSX block and would need to upgrade my current fuel system not sure also what my trans
or even rear end could take since dont' have spool or locker.
Still 800rwhp is still a lot of power.
I think I was running around at about 600 to 650rwhp last season. Nitrous is not hooked up yet ,was only going to run 75 to 125 or so shot with that anyway. And was being conservative trying to keep the standard not known for reliability aps turbos alive.So was at around 8psi.
Even at that power level nittos on the t56 would not hook well till middle of third . This year have et streets to try on track and bit on street. But going to run street tires likely so don't get too tempted to be stupid on street.
I am going to experiment with ramping in boost by rpm on street and possibly by time on the track .And may pick up an aftermarket variable traction control setup not sure on that yet.My car didn't get factory traction control even. While they are not the best still wish had it now.It can come in handy depending on who is driving the car and what weather is like. I just drive car spring,summer,fall put it away for winter.

Worried a bit as wifey is now saying she can drive the 99TT since switched it over to an auto. Her car is 96z mildly modded currently. Oh well have to go into tuning and set my rpm limit to 3000 or so before she drives it!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

I DD my car in the warm weather. I put over 25k miles on it in the 2 years my APS kit has been on the car. I am at the stock 7psi in the kit and made 540rwhp last spring. I still get 17/24mpg. I love driving this car on roadtrips. It is SOOOO much fun cruising along and finding someone to play with. I had one roadtrip where I ran a Mustang, a Trans Am and a Corvette. Good times!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bondosgto
some gto guys are getting up towards 30
yes I have seen as high as 33 mpg,when I had 60 lb injectors and the stock cam stock ls2,my 408 built motor with the 4l80e get from 19-20 around town intraffic with spirited driving ,on highway car gets from 24-28mpg with 80 lb inj. car runs 9s on same tune and 93 octain.love it...

Quick Reply: Twin turbo street cars.