Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any News on the STS turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still waiting for my kit to come in he said it will be here before the end of this month I just put a ram 910 clutch , fuel pump and 42# injectors
im going to DYNO tune the kit for 9 psi (Turbo Smart Boost Controller)with the methanol inj.. im here at sea level in south florida for all you guys who want sea level times and dyno #'s ill post them im putting the kit on the same day i get it and before i tune it im going to run it at the track on 5psi
Ill keep you posted my kit is almost here
Old 01-13-2004, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Excal
yeah a PROPERLY set up turbo, which seems to be in fantasy land right now. right now the ls1tech turbo ls1s are gettin destroyed by the ls1tech n20 crew and some n/a with no so crazy hp.

talking about that..(neat) any idea why you initially made similar hp & torque and then on the second dyno it went to 474hp and 620tq??

If you hit it on the dyno at a lower RPM then the car is going to make more torque period. Simple as that. On the dyno I can make a car that has a manual valve body have some serious torque. Just FYI, tq on the dyno is irrelavent, becuase you can just take the tq spike and keep on going up with it for the RPM that you wanted to hit it at if you are afraid of a downshift. I usually hit it at 65mph on the dyno.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we're talking dynojets mustangs or both?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you gain ~ 1.2 seconds from a H/C car without going too drastic? Thats what my friend gained with the STS kit on his LT1 with 5lb boost. His is 6 speed too, I should do a little better with my auto. The LT1 after numerous N/A tests ran ~ 14.00-14.1. After turbo @ 5lb ~ 12.90's.

We will see....

Originally Posted by sr71bb
When I first read about this setup, my initial thought was "Hey, this setup has GOT to have a pretty slow spool up (turbo lag) with the location of the turbo where it is". Number two, an automatic tranny seems a MUCH better setup than a six speed because after each shift, the turbo will need to spool up again.

My conclusion is that while PEAK numbers may be decent, I can't see this setup being very quick AT ALL on the dragstrip. I fact a nice heads and cam car or even a CAM only car would beat it EASILY in the quarter. Maybe it would be good as a highway racer, I don't know. Bottom line is, STS needs to get some good numbers with this at the dragstrip in my opinion and I am talking about some low 11 or high 10 numbers. Maybe though that's NOT the market they are shooting at. I dunno.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is one being put together in San Jose as we speak.

I am gonna go check it out tonite. I will post results as I find out about them.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

cool please do
Old 01-15-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSnakekiller
Can you gain ~ 1.2 seconds from a H/C car without going too drastic? Thats what my friend gained with the STS kit on his LT1 with 5lb boost. His is 6 speed too, I should do a little better with my auto. The LT1 after numerous N/A tests ran ~ 14.00-14.1. After turbo @ 5lb ~ 12.90's.

We will see....
that is not a fair comparison. Going from 14.0-14.1 to 12.9 in an LT1 with a turbo is a lot easier than going from say 12.8 to 11.6, in an LS1 since most heads/cam cars have bolt ons and are already running maybe around hi 12's to low 13's before the heads/cam are added.

The faster you are already, the harder it is to gain extra ET.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:19 PM
Teching In

So is this a single or twin kit? Does anyone have a link to pics of the kit?

Is 500rwhp the targeted hp?

At what boost level was the 500rwhp made on? If he was running methanol, sounds like he was trying to prevent detonation? Reading through this thread it looks like 5psi? Do the LS1's detonate at that low of a boost setting? I thought you could get away with maybe 7-8psi.

What kind of boost do the SC guys run safely on 93 octane?

Just curious. We've got a Viper lined up next, then a Z06, after that the Camaro's and TA's. So I'm just trying to add to my research.

Also, do most of you guys looking for these turbo kits put them on a stock engine or one that already has forged rotating assembly and lower compression pistons?

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was getting away with 38#injectors and 9-12psi(depending on what pulley I was running) with Ed W. pcm tuning and 91 octane gas, with no detonation on my Intercooled ATI kit on the stock block, heads.
This STS turbo kit is a single with the turbo mounted at the rear of the car, where the intermediate pipe hooks into the muffler. This kit has no intercooler, and would benefit big time with dedicated tuning for the turbo.
J
Old 01-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Oh, I saw those kits...or pics of it at some point.

Wow, 9-12, that'd be great, we can make killer power at those levels. We tune for 93 octane and Ed will probably be doing the tuning for the GM stuff since he's only 35 miles from me.

Hey, thanks a bunch for the info!
Old 01-15-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Verbs he is at altitude though.

That is what makes comparisions difficult...
Old 01-16-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

(induction concepts)

any idea when a kit will be out?

the market is booming for this, i 've been to your site and keep up with the updates and see your kits target big power.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Giving a target date is a sure way to ensure you don't make it.

The mustang kits are done and will be released after the first week of Feb, just waiting on all the tubing to get coated right now, when that's done, reinstall, write the instruction manual and tune. We have a Viper coming in from PA next, then an '04 Z06, once that's done we'll do the Camaros and TA's. That's about all I can tell you. We are getting ready to move into a larger shop and hire a few more people. This should allow us to develop the prototypes faster and maybe even work on more than one at once.

Wish I could give you a more definite answer, but there are so many variables and things that will pop up, things we hadn't expected, etc. Prototype design is just that way, each one is uncharted territory for us.

After we get done with the cars, we're going to do some trucks/suv's. Those will be so nice, so much room.

Anyway, thanks for asking, hope you stay tuned. Let me know if you have any other questions, but we should probably take it to email so we don't hi-jack this thread or step on any 'sponsoring vendors' toes.

Quick Reply: Any News on the STS turbo kit?